[EDGE] Ring Alarm Keypad (2nd Gen) Edge Driver

Hi,

I have just set this up and all works fine besides when disarming the notification for “Disarmed” is repeated a few times, “Arming” is fine.

I see some other people above have been asking this.

Any reason for this?

Thanks

1 Like

@RBoy I just purchased and setup my Ring Keypad Gen2. I installed the device handler, got the keypad paired with my ST hub. In ST I can send commands such as arm and disarm to the keypad, it responds to the command. I then installed LUM, using the keypad and a 6 digit code to turn on a virtual switch. But I seem to be stuck getting ST to see any transmissions from the keypad. Nothing happens when I enter the 6 digit code. Looking at the history in the keypad, it shows nothing for any keystrokes on the keypad (I’m assuming it’s suppose to). I don’t believe this is a signal strength issue, I tested it with the hub and keypad on the same table. Any input would be appreciated!

Not at this time. :disappointed_relieved: no custom code runs locally right now, so this keypad can’t run locally.

They keep saying there will be more local processing in the future, but it hasn’t happened yet, and they actually took away some of the local processing for the security features with the move to the current app. And in any case smartthings has no way to send any notifications to you locally, not even just your own phone on the same Wi-Fi network. Anything that’s smartthings based just isn’t a substitute for a real home security system, Even an inexpensive one like ring.

You might not be paired correctly. Try remove and repair the device

1 Like

Thank you gavemitchau and rboy, excluding then pairing my device again did solve the problem. Something must have went wrong in the first pairing attempt that resulted in partial pairing.

3 Likes

I have this all working, including setup of three STHM virtual switches, but I can’t set the “Auto Lock Delay (seconds)” field in the device setttings. If I enter a value, it’s greyed out and the Save button is also greyed out.

What am I missing?

It’s a bug with the ST mobile app, the latest update has broken inputs with an decimal/integer range, it’s affecting all decimal/integer inputs with a range. Report it to support@smarthings.com with a screenshot.

1 Like

Ring Keypad (Gen2) - Version 02.03.02

• Fix for device settings Save button not working after SmartThings mobile app update
  • Added support for Ring Gen1 Alarm Keypad
  • Added support for Panic button in Ring Gen2 keypad
3 Likes

Hi There- is the native ‘ring hub’ a requirement to use this before connecting to Smartthings? Or can I just purchase the keypad alone and connect it per above and use the RBoy App to configure?

the ring keypad can be used with a smartthings hub (with RBoys DTH) without having a ring hub.

2 Likes

yes this works without the ring hub

After trial/error I have my keypad up/running and working well. However I am struggling to get the Ring Gen 2 keypads to play an alert tone when an sensor is open (e.g. door). I’ve installed LUM, Chimes/Notifications and Intruder Alert w/actions. I’ve followed all of the instructions.

The keypad will make noise, alarm/strobe etc. But I cannot set it up to chime when a sensor is opened. Chimes/Notifications “greys out” the Speak/play notifications on - “No device found”

Even when I go the the keypad on the ST App and press “Tap to play sound on Bedroom Ring Alarm Keypad” I get nothing/no sounds. I have two keypads - both have the same issue.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I also have multiple keypads. Did you ever get the “stay” function to work on both? If so, could you kindly send your piston or explain what you did differently than the single keypad setup? Thanks in advance!

Mvevitsis, what would your piston look like for two keypads? This would be much appreciated!

I don’t know, I only have one keypad

eeek, we have 15

Do you know how to set up >1? Please help me…

I want to use this keypad to open my garage door. I was hoping to be able to enter 1-2-3-4-✓.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t work: I can’t find a way to use the Validate/CheckMark ✓ button.

Instead, I have to use the Arm & Disarm Button to open/close the garage door.
Is this the only way? It is un-intuitive for my guests, they will press ✓ several times and end up calling me.

2nd question: I am unable to use the keypad for Smartthings automations. It doesn’t show in triggers or actions. Is it possible to have it be discoverable?

OK well I tried and got it to work for more than 1 keypad. See attached.

Hope it helps someone.

1 Like

Ring Keypad (Gen2) - Version 02.05.00

• Added option to assign arm/disarm and toggle arming/disarming actions to ✓ button in device settings

Regarding the device not showing up in Automations IF conditions, that’s a bug in the latest ST mobile app. It shows up in the iOS app v1.6.67 but doesn’t show up in the iOS app v1.6.69. You’ll have to report it to ST support to fix the bug (it shows up in the THEN actions)

1 Like