[EDGE] Ring Alarm Keypad (2nd Gen) Edge Driver

I set up the virtual switches and did the same 7 automations listed here. My understanding is that I have to do something in LUM or webcore piston. Are you able to post screenshots so I can see how I can finally get the stay keypad switch to match the armed stay mode in STHM? thank you.

The webcore piston screenshot is above.

So I believe that I did it correctly:

and the other 7 automations that you had posted in a previous post.

At this time:
-From the keypad> if I Stay Arm I don’t get any changes in my STHM to Arm Stay; if I do Away and Armed I also do not get any changes in my STHM to Away Armed. It also does not change the second ring keypad as well to the same state. I am assuming I would have to do an automation to always mirror states.

From the STHM> If I click on Armed stay both keypads go to Armed Stay indicating that the piston is likely working; if I click on Armed Away nothing happens. If I click on disarmed my keypad both goes to disarmed.

I am sure I am missing some automations. Are you able to guide me in the right direction. thanks so much.

You need to set in LUM

2 Likes

I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this. Its amazing what this community has created.

To clarify:for your first screenshot im assuming the two switches that you have “off” are the two virtual switches (away and stay) right. For the last screenshot in “when in any of these modes” im assuming the two that you have are night and home.

Made some progress but here is where I am at now:
When using the keypad: Armed stay works, disarmed works, Away and Armed does not work > it does not change the STHM to Arm Away and it does not sync the status to the second Ring Keypad

When using STHM: Armed Stay works and changes the Ring Keypad status, Disarmed works and changes the keypad o disarmed, clicking on Armed Away creates a server error on the STHM and when I click refresh it is armed in the STHM but not on the keypads

I believe that the issue must be with the Armed Away in both directions (from the keypad to the STHM and vice verse). Any suggestions on what I need to fix?

I have attached my screenshots but unfortunately I have to put them in separate posts since I am a new user and it won’t let me attach more than one image

Since I cannot add more images here is the google drive link:

For my setup to work I had to also set the location mode as you’ll see in my automations. Then location mode is a requirement in one of the LUM pages.

I can only guarantee it will work if you follow my automations exactly.

I think I was able to figure it out, fingers crossed. Did you figure out a way to have the keypad beep or strobe when someone walks in when its armed away or when a door opens when its armed stay so that people know to enter the code. I want to make sure people know that they should disarm the system before noonlight is called.

You may be able to do that in webcore.

If you’re using this app with entry delay configured, it’ll automatically trigger the spoken countdown in the ring keypad: [RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

Hi there.

I have a ring keypad setup in a very small wave network.

For now I have it linked with STHM to make it as direct as possible.

I find that sometimes it takes a long time for the keypad to confirm a command.

I sometimes put a code and hit disarm and it can take 15 seconds for it to actually say disarmed.

It also happens occasionally that it doest disarm at all, which kind of makes it unusable because it obviously needs to be 100% reliable, or there is no point.

Would anyone know how to fix this?

Just in case its related,

I only have 2 zwave open close sensors and 1 zwave motion sensor for now, as well as 2 zwave locks and some wifi switches and plugs. so its a small network and the keypad is 8 feet away from the hub.

Any help would be appreciated as I am kind of new to this.

Thanks.

One thing that helps with responsiveness is pairing the keypad in S2 mode (see the first post). It doesn’t hurt to have a mains powered Z-Wave Plug switch/plug to help improve the mesh strength. Also check for and remove any ghost z-wave devices as those have a significant impact the speed and responsiveness of the mesh.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I’m pretty sure its paired in S2 mode, at least I paired it as per your instructions with the 1 key. I wouldn’t even know how else to pair it haha.

I don’t have any ghost devices as the routing tables all go from the device straight to the hub.

I did order a zwave smart plug that I will install close to the keypad to see if it helps.

Just out of curiosity, what is a “normal” response time for this keypad? And is it 100% reliable for everyone else?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately I experienced the same with the panel paired in S2 mode and paired directly to the hub.

I experienced delays of around 3-5 seconds after entering a code as well as it not changing modes occasionally. I ended up just returning my keypad to Amazon.

i get a 1-3 second delay across 4 ring keypads chiming (out of sync) when a motion is triggered.

also, on the ring alarm system there is a 1-2 second chiming delay when a motion is triggered. it even tells you the keypad chiming will be out of sync with the base station.

Thank you so much for sharing how to make sync work. I plan on having 3 keypads. Do you have suggestions how to sync all of them and ST modes? Thank you

The for the replies so far. I think my delays and problems had to do with the way i was syncing the keypad with STHM both ways.

Does anyone have a complete working guide on how to do this without using webcore? I can’t figure it out because the ring keypad is only capable of being locked or unlocked so it seems impossible to sync all 3 possible STHM modes correctly.

If someone has some kind of guide that would be greatly appreciated.

You can’t do it without webcore

you can default “locked” status to either Stay or Away, but you do need two webcore scripts (plain and simple) to sync your virtual switch and state of ring keypad.
for ease of debugging I created 3 switches and wrote 10-15 automations in new app to “sync” ST States, Virtual Switches, Keypad statuses, Locked/Unlocked.
What bugs me - did I foresee all possible scenarios. Writing all use cases in xls
Also, ST States give me a headache, whenever I manually change them - updates to switches and keypad propagate, but second change of state gives me a server error

How did you solve exit delay -> Armed Away, entry delay -> Home problems? I couldnt find any of the settings in intruder detection, racking my brain on how to do it in Webcore. ST states are dangerous to rely on (server lag/ update errors), turning on virtual switches with a delay is an idea, but I cant figure out how to do it outside of webcore. TIA