[EDGE] Ring Alarm Keypad (2nd Gen) Edge Driver

Introducing the Ring Alarm Keypad edge driver

Make your Ring Alarm Gen2 keypad work like a security keypad or virtual lock keypad in SmartThings to manage locks/doors/garage doors, user codes etc through Automations. (see below for more details). It makes an excellent doorbell chime with 5 tones to choose from. It even has a spoken countdown for entry/exit delays. You can also use to control Home Monitor with two synchronization.

Screenshots

IMG_0056

Security Keypad + Virtual Lock (with programmable codes)

Virtual Lock (with programmable codes)

Other Features

Automation Features

Classic App

Where to buy Ring Alarm 2nd Generation keypad

This edge driver supports the following features (refer to the release notes/website for latest updates):

1. Selectable operating modes (enable/disable integration with Home Monitor)
    • Security keypad + Virtual lock with programmable codes
    • Virtual lock with programmable codes
  2. Works as a keypad lock in SmartThings
    • Set/use 4-10 digit codes
    • View programmed user names/codes
    • Enable/disable keypad
    • Enable/disable auto lock
    • Lock and unlock using user codes
    • Invalid code notifications
    • Direct arming (arm directly with buttons without user code)
    • Assign dedicated or toggle action (disarm/arm stay/arm away) to button
    • Detect Main/Battery power
    • Battery level
    • 3 buttons reporting for Police, Fire and Medical emergencies
    • Panic button (press X and √ simultaneously)
  3. Use with Automations
    • Door bell
    • Security mode
    • Lock state
    • User code/name specific actions separately for arming away/arming stay/disarming/locking/unlocking
    • Panic alarm
    • 4 separate emergency buttons (panic, police, fire, medical)
    • Invalid code, lock/unlock action type (remote, keypad) custom actions
    • Battery levels
    • Power source
    • Dimmer
    • Hardware failure notifications
  4. Use as a Tone capability device (beep/chime)
  5. Use as a Siren/Alarm capability device (supported models)
  6. Locate keypad using a beep
  7. Spoken countdown for entry/exit delays
  8. Ability to configure the following parameters:
    • Choose from 5 chime/ring tones to play
    • Pin code length
    • Pin code timeout
    • Auto lock delay
    • Enable/disable direct arming
    • Announcement volume
    • Emergency buttons press duration (seconds)
    • Ambient light sensor sensitivity
    • Enable/disable proximity sensor
    • Backlight dimmer
    • Disable alarms for emergency buttons (to use automations)

Compatible SmartApps

1. Smart Lock Guest Access (SLGA)
  2. Advanced Web UI
  3. Lock User Management (LUM) to control STHM from the keypad using virtual switches
  4. Rental Lock Automater (RLA) to automate your rental properties with keypads
  5. Lock & Door Synchronizer to control Garage Doors, Patio Doors and synchronize with other locks/devices
  6. Chime and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors to play a custom door chime
  7. Security System - Intruder Alerts with Actions to create a custom security system with entry/exit delays and custom arming scenarios

Siren and Chime Features

• Built in beeper which can be used as a Chime for sensors/buttons (e.g. door bells or door open/close) using the Beep or Tone capability
  • Built in Siren that can be triggered with the emergency buttons or independently as an Alarm. The alarm sound can be adjusted from about 60dB to 110dB
  • You can use these keypads with SmartThings automations or a compatible Chime SmartApp

Sample Use Cases for Keypads in SmartThings (through Automations or compatible SmartApps)

• Siren/alarm (models which support it)
  • Chime/beeper to notify when doors/windows are opened/closed
  • 4 panic buttons
  • Secondary keypad for locks
  • Primary keypad for garage doors/patio doors
  • Program codes and create custom actions for each code or each button (away/night/home)
    • Run/activate/deactivate switches/controls/routines etc
    • Create custom actions
    • Arm/disarm Home Monitor/Hub modes
  • Chime the keypad when doors/windows are opened or something is turned on/off

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Install the edge driver using the step by step instructions here

INCLUSION

It is recommended to install the edge driver BEFORE paring the device for easier setup.

1. Bring the keypad close to the hub
  2. Plug the USB cable into a USB charger, this is make the Network LED start flashing green slowly (make sure it’s flashing green otherwise do a factory reset or device exclusion, see below)
  3. From the SmartThings mobile app click on + → Add device → Scan QR code and then scan the QR code behind the keypad. NOTE: If you don’t use S2 pairing via the QR code, the keypad may have trouble communicating with the hub (red network light, key codes not working etc)
  4. Keep the 1 key pressed for about 5 seconds until the Network LED starts flashing green quickly and then release the key

TIPS

• This keypad supports S2 level security and performs better when using S2 mode. If the device pairs but SmartThings gives you a message about reduced security, exclude the device and pair it again using the QR code until pairs successfully without any error messages
  • If you’re having trouble pairing the device, power cycle your hub and try to exclude the device first
  • If Network LED starts flashing red, this means that the keypad has lost it’s connection with the mesh. Move the keypad closer to the hub (or add a Z-Wave repeater)
  • If Network LED is flashing green, that means it isn’t paired with the hub

EXCLUSION

• Bring the keypad within 5ft of the hub
  • Put the hub into Exclusion mode
  • Use a pin to press the button in the hole behind the keypad, the network LED should flash red to indicate the exclusion was successful and then start flashing green

FACTORY RESET INSTRUCTIONS

• Use a pin to press the button in the hole behind the keypad for about 10 seconds until the network LED flashes red and then starts flashing green slowly

Arming/Disarming the keypad

• Program the user codes using a supported app like Smart Lock Guest Access (SLGA), Advanced Web UI , LUM, RLA
  • Enter a valid code followed by one of the 3 modes buttons on top (Disarm, Arm Stay or Arm Away)

NOTE:

• Since the device has no “physical” locking mechanism, it is recommended to use it in conjunction with Automations or SmartApps like CoRE, WebCORE, LUM or RLA to control a physical switch or lock etc.
  • When set to arm directly, it does not use a code to arm to Away or Stay

Low Battery: If your battery falls below 20% consider charging it. The unit will start flashing a battery light when the battery level is low.

Home Monitor (HM) Synchronization

• It should automatically sync with Home Monitor (two way)
  • Try to uninstall and reinstall Home Monitor from the Life tab. Reinstalling usually resolves the issue.
  • Check that Home Monitor Integration option is enabled in the keypad settings page.
  • Check that the keypad is selected in the Home Monitor → Settings (gear icon) → Security → Devices linked to security mode

Comparison of Keypad Features

Check out the Ring Gen1 Keypad Edge Driver

Check out the ZigBee Keypad Device Handler

More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and we’ll try to add it.

This driver is available on the RBOY APPS Server, http://www.rboyapps.com. Refer to our website or facebook page below to get access to the server.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get access to our Premium Apps. RBOY APPS SmartThings - Make your Home your Butler

(c) RBOY APPS

12 Likes

Awesome! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve been using this keypad for the past 2-3 months. First with ring alarm and now with SmartThings the past week or so. It’s a very cool device and I think the best keypad you can use with SmartThings now. Some things I like:

• Good battery life and rechargeable
  • “smart” back lighting based on motion and luminance
  • chimes
  • siren
  • button devices
  • keypad
  • good size
  • z-wave 700 series, so should have good range

Given all the above, I think $50 is a fair price

2 Likes

Fantastic! I just ordered one :grinning:

1 Like

Love the fact that it runs for about 6 months before having to be recharged and it makes for a great door chime, I like the Ding dong neu tone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you unpair it with Ring to pair it with ST?

yes. It can only be paired to one system at a time.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I thought.

guess I’ll get this since samsung has betrayed us with the smartthings access release…

1 Like

Will the RBoy device handlers still work when Samsung kills the legacy features later this year? What’s the path forward?

The DTH’s already work with the new app (see the screenshots in the first post), we’re working with ST to add some of the custom controls to the new app before the Classic is retired. Infact this DTH has more features available on the new app.

2 Likes

I am having a heck of a time getting the keypad to lock/unlock using the code I set up for it using LUM. Help!

What am I missing here? I can do it using the smartthings app

EDIT: issue resolved - see message below

The (my) issue is resolved. Make sure you add the device in S2 security mode as recommended in the instructions. :slight_smile: thanks RBoy support for all your help.

2 Likes

Is there a way to make this disarm SHM when I input a specific key code on my Yale door lock but NOT when the lock is unlocked any other way (i.e. by hand)

basically I want to replicate the nest secure functionality where it disarms when you unlock the nest x Yale lock by the key code.

You can do that with his Lock User Management smartapp. You would basically set a user/code specific action for the Yale lock to unlock the Ring Kaypad.

im using the centralite keypad to arm/disarm SHM. i currently have no issues at the moment. Is it worth switching to the ring keypad for arming and disarming STHM? what will the preprogrammed buttons do in smartthings? im only interested in using this to arm and disarm with the delay arm smartapp. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

@RBoy do all the pin codes need to be the same length, or can they be mixed lengths?

This keypad supports fixed length pin codes only, however the pin code length can set in the DTH settings page (4-10 digits).

1 Like

Can you elaborate on how this looks in WebCore… I can’t seem to get it to trigger a piston based on the keypad being disarmed at the keypad. This is how I configured the webcore piston - its intent is to disarm the STHM by switching on the virtual switch. (this also keeps my actiontiles in sync) @RBoy

1 Like

@RBoy trying to set actions for any of the buttons crashes smartthings for me. And why are there four buttons? What is the fourth? (The one not labelled medical fire or police)