What it does:
- Combines an actuator switch device and multisensor (contact/acceleration) into a single logical garage door device (capability.doorControl)
- Properly reflects the state of the door if opened/closed externally (door-button, garage remote, etc)
- opens/closes immediately when you tell it to
What it doesn’t do:
- Attempt to retry close/open operations if they don’t succeed
- Automate open/close operations based on other events (these automations can be accomplished with higher-level smartapps using this Virtual Garage Door device)
Doesn’t this already exist?
There are other implementations with a similar purpose, but they either rely on Smartthings’ simulated garage door device which isn’t optimal for this purpose, or they support a bunch of complicated automations which can already be accomplished with other more generic smartapps once you have a coherent virtual garage door device available.
Install both the Virtual Garage Door device and Virtual Garage Door Manager smartapp, configure the smartapp with your door actuator and multisensor as well as the virtual device.