*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] My Next Manager for your Nest® products: migrated to custom capabilities (home/away, motion, presence, and more)!

…Also added the MyNext thermostat to Google Home (I have both Google Home and Alexa devices) and changed the Google Home name to “Thermostat.”

1 Like

Hi,

Just a reminder of what you can do with the Ask Alexa smartapp when you use the Summary Voice report in My Next Manager (last page):

You can also get some comfort & energy savings tips based on your indoor/outdoor conditions at your home by executing the NestGetTips smartapp at my github and/or using the Ask Alexa’s verbal commands (get/play/repeat/reset tips). Refer to the ST community wiki for more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NestGetTips

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#MyEcobee_.26_MyNext_Devices.27_comfort_.26_energy_saving_tips

Regards.

I’m kind of frustrated with NST Manager and am happy to see Yves has developed a possible alternative, as I purchased his excellent ecobee application and handlers. Can anyone give me feedback how this stacks up to NST Manager before I purchase?

Hi Brad,

See previous posts for testimonials. You won’t have any issues with My Next Manager as it uses the same proven design (with some thorough testing) as My Ecobee device…

Regards.

2 Likes

Hi,

For all my contributors, I’ve just released new versions of MyNextTstat (v1.1.5 for the Nest thermostat) and MyNextAlarm (v1.1.3 for the Nest Protect) devices which allow you to view/interact with the devices under the new Samsung app.

As a reminder, MyNextManager app has been authorized by Nest for a significant number of users and, amongst the many features, it is simpler to install and configure as you can avoid the tedious & error prone process of creating your own Product as a developer (and the product Key & product Secret copy and paste) at Nest with the different permissions.

You can download the new versions at my store using your original sellfy download link.

https://www.maisonsecomatiq.com/store

Regards.

Hi,

For all my contributors and Nest users, I’ve just released new versions of MyNextTstat (v1.1.6 for the Nest thermostat), MyNextAlarm (v1.1.4 for the Nest Protect), MyNextCam (v1.1.3 for the Nest Cam) with some small minor enhancements to be able to automatically remove the devices from the MyNextManager (v1.3.3) when a ST user forcefully deletes the devices using the IDE or the Samsung/SmartThings mobile apps.

• Please refer to the release notes in the zip file for more details.

As a reminder, MyNextManager app has been authorized by Nest for a significant number of users and, amongst the many features, it is simpler to install and configure as you can avoid the tedious & error prone process of creating your own Product as a developer at Nest with the different permissions (and the subsequent product Key & product Secret copy and paste) .

If you’re a contributor, you can download the new versions at my store using your original sellfy download link.

Regards.

Great solution and was my first attempt at adding anything external to my setup. After some initial help everything went great and had it up and running in less than an hour.

Now the trick will be adding the Keen AC vents and Nest Protect products.

1 Like

Hi @caviglia,

For the vents, refer to the ScheduleTstatZone entry at the ST community wiki under the configuration section:
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones#Configuration.

You have to configure the smartapp according to the use cases you want to achieve and your house layout…

For your Nest Protects, all you need to do is upload the code for them (MyNextAlarm and save/publish it into the IDE), and then rerun MyNextManager (under Automation/smartapps in the ST classic app) again to select your NestProtect Units .

Regards.

Does your Tstat Nest app let you do temporary holds when a temp change is made?

in other words, if i change the temp using ST, will the change be permanent or temporary until the next schedule on the Nest.

Hi, the Nest APIs don’t expose the schedules (contrary to ecobee APIs), and they are overall quite limited (if you compare them to the ecobee ones). There is no way to set and determine if a hold is temporary or permanent (i.e. set by a schedule) through the APIs.

However, in my code for the DTH, I’ve used some custom logic to determine if the hold is temporary or permanent. You should look into the programScheduleName attribute for it. If set by a schedule, the value will be ‘schedule

For more schedules logic, you should look into the ecobee with those kinds of HA scenarios.

Regards.

Hi,

For all my contributors and Nest users, I’ve just released new versions of MyNextManager (v1.4) to correct the Nest Blank Login page issue that has appeared since September 25th.

As a reminder, MyNextManager app has been authorized by Nest for a significant number of users and, amongst the many features, it is simpler to install and configure as you can avoid the tedious & error prone process of creating your own Product as a developer at Nest with the different permissions (and the subsequent product Key & product Secret copy and paste) .

If you’re a contributor, you can download the new versions at my store using your original sellfy download link.

This is a mandatory update to be able to create future Nest devices under the ST platform

Regards.

1 Like

Thank you for all your work. Very exciting and should be rewarded. I just found this forum post. I’d already gone to github, followed instructions for creating the handler and the app in smart things. I can’t get it to talk to nest though. I notice in the instructions mention of using code sent to a paypal email containing zip folders in order to create the handler and the app in Smart Things. My question is, can I do these steps with only what is at github? Or do I need more? I’m mainly trying to turn off nest thermostats when a window is open (nest open close sensor detects the window is open), and send the sound of a nest video doorbell to one or more sonos speakers and to send nest thermostat alarms to sonos as well. Not sure if it is possible but want to try. Thanks.

Hi @5pac3m0nk3y,

I responded to your email sent to services@maisonsecomatiq.com with all the details.

For the different sounds, you can look into echo speaks (if your sonos are compatible with Amazon echo) or Big Talker in the ST community forum.

Regards

I installed the NextManager this weekend, and loving it. Yet, experience two issues:

1/ My SmartThings hub doesn’t see the Nest Protect (neither in the Classic app nor the new ST App), although the SmartApp itself does and all NestProtect devices are enabled to be visible to ST. Have I missed something during installation/initiation?

2/ The lag between when the Nest turns on and ST recognizes the change of status is tedious. Way over one minute. Can I improve that in any way?

Also, is there a plan to include Nest Remote Temperature Sensor to it? Would be great for ST to see it as well.

My next step: get the Keen vents :wink:

Hi,

It’s difficult for me to see what’s going on under your ST account without any logs…

1. I don’t know why you don’t see your Nest protects as you’re the only one with this issue (to my knowledge)…

Of course, make sure that you have the right DTH under your ST account (My Next Alarm under the Device Type Handlers in the IDE, and under the right shard) , saved AND published. Otherwise the smartapp will not be able to instantiate the devices.

Refer to the prerequisites and installation steps at the github:

2. The Nest REST APIs have some rate limiting, so there would be some status lag depending on the polling interval you’ve chosen in MyNextManager.

https://developers.nest.com/guides/api/data-rate-limits

If you have some Keen Vents later, you’d need to configure ScheduleTstatZones to properly control your vents based on the concept of rooms/zones/schedules.

Refer to the ST community wiki for more details (use cases #1 and 4) under the configuration section:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones#Configuration

Regards.

Thank you Yves!
Either I forgot to publish the Devices or something didn’t go right when I initiated the App, I uninstalled everything and installed it again with all the files in ZIP and it’s now working. Thank you for your time and sorry for the trouble!

Do you think you might be able to include the Nest Remote Temperature Sensor to the App/Devices soon as well?

It really depends on the Nest APIs changes. Nest HAS NOT released any new API features for more than a year although there has been many change requests at their developers’ forum… A lot of people are not happy about the Nest APIs.

P.S. With ScheduleTstatZones, you can use any ST connected temp/motion sensors to adjust your Nest’s thermostat setpoints. Refer to the link in my previous post.
Regards.

What’s the difference between this and @tonesto7 nst manager?

See the 1st post of this thread…

Hi,

I’ve been looking into this thread for some time and it seems you have a number of smartapps to control the nest thermostat and other products.

I’m using NST manager but only for creating the devices. I use webcore to control the thermostat using lots of rules based on movement, time of day, time of year and outside weather.

The only thing I want/need is a device handler for the thermostat. Could you please advise which package I would need to purchase as it’s not clear. And I’m assuming I could use webcore in the same way to control the thermostat?