*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

Hi,

Just want to inform my contributors and all ecobee users that new version of MyEcobeeDevice(v5.9.9x.9f) can be downloaded at my e-commerce solution provider (sellfy) using the original download link.

The new minor version implements more defensive mechanims to retry commands in case of ST or ecobee outages.

MyEcobeeTstat

MyEcobeeTstatP2

You basically just need to install the DTHs once, and forget about it. The code will recover and resend any failed thermostat or switch command in the next hour window after an ST or ecobee outage. No other ecobee implementation (and especially the ST stock device) can match this level of resilience and reliability.

If you’re are a contributor to one of my support packages (and I have access to your ST account), the upgrade has already been done for you. You don’t need to do anything, everything has been taken care of.

On top of it, there are many complimentary smartapps designed for My ecobee DTH and are located at my github. All ecobee smartapps are explained at the ST community wiki (all ecobee* smartapps):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

You can also refer to the 1st post of this thread for all the use cases supported.

My Ecobee DTHs are available at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

Hi all you smart people using the My Ecobee Device - I’m trying to use WebCore and IFTTT to set up a way to easily change the default settings for a specific climate.

For example, to change the default heat setting for the Home climate to 68.

I’ve got everything sorted for this other than how to correctly make use of the updateClimate action within WebCore. I just can’t seem to get the formatting right, even looking at how ecobeeManageClimate smartapp works.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Suddenly my ecobee is not getting commands from the smartapp. I got alerts from webcore that it did not override and I tried just manually changing things but it’s not working. Is anyone else experiencing an issue?

Hi, see previous post here

Reauthorizating the app worked like a charm. Thanks Yves!

I’m still on version 3.3.2 and the integration seems to have stopped working for me. My automations don’t work anymore and the temperatures never get updated. I stopped getting emails for new updates a while ago that’s why I haven’t been keeping up. how do I go about updating to the latest version? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I’ve already responded to your email.
Please follow the procedure that I sent to you more than 2 years ago.

P. S. I don’t send any email updates anymore, you’d need to use the sellfy (e-commerce server) download link or your sellfy account to get minor updates.

Thank you for the fast response. Sorry I must’ve missed the last email you sent. Got it updated and back up and running again. The fact that it’s been working great for me for the past 2 years without an update shows how stable your DTH is. Great work and thanks again!

1 Like

Hi,

Just want to inform my contributors and all ecobee users that new version of MyEcobeeDevice(v5.9.9z) & MyEcobeeInit (v4.1c) can be downloaded at my e-commerce solution provider (sellfy) using the original download link.

The new minor version corrects some icon issues following some security changes in the iOS/Android ST classic mobile app.

MyEcobeeTstat

MyEcobeeTstatP2

You basically just need to install the DTHs once, and forget about it. The code will recover and resend any failed thermostat or switch command in the next hour window after an ST or ecobee outage. No other ecobee implementation (and especially the ST stock device) can match this level of resilience and reliability.

If you’re are a contributor to one of my support packages (and I have access to your ST account), the upgrade has already been done for you. You don’t need to do anything, everything has been taken care of.

On top of it, there are many complimentary smartapps designed for My ecobee DTH and are located at my github. All ecobee smartapps are explained at the ST community wiki (all ecobee* smartapps):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

You can also refer to the 1st post of this thread for all the use cases supported.

My Ecobee DTHs are available at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the Ecobee mode based on a switch (only)? The SmartThings presence (via cell phone) doesn’t really work reliably (for both me and my wife), so the ecobeeAwayFromHome app doesn’t activate most of the time.

I didn’t see anything like this in the My Ecobee wiki, but maybe I missed it?

What I’d like to do is set up a virtual switch that I can then activate via my Amazon Echo (with something like “goodbye” and “I’m home” routines that turn this virtual “away mode” switch on/off). When the switch is turned on, I want the Ecobee to switch to Away mode and when it gets turned off (on our return), it would do the ecobeeResumeProg function.

Unfortunately, I can’t use the ST “hello” modes as I already have them set up for time of day functions (nighttime, daytime, bedtime) and would have to duplicate them all (and reprogram all my smartapps) to add in presence (e.g., “nighttime home” vs “nighttime away”, etc.)

If nothing like this exists, I’ll look at making a modified version of ecobeeChangeMode/ecobeeResumeProg that just works off a switch.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi, you just need to create some virtual switches which trigger the right routine (Away or Home) using the option “Automatically perform the routine” when something turn on/off using the said virtual switch(es)

That way you can reuse your existing routines and the same ecobee smartapps (ecobeeResumeProg and ecobeeChangeMode).

That’s what most of my contributors do for this use case.

Regards

Yves,

That sounds good, but I’m not sure how to do it.

I have a virtual switch for “Away” and I want to run ecobeeChangeMode to switch the thermostat’s mode to Away when that switch is turned “on”. But ecobeeChangeMode won’t work off a switch and the ST Routines won’t let me run the ecobeeChangeMode. Routines will let me set the temperature of the thermostats but not the Away mode (presumably generic functionality and not yours).

I see that I can automatically run the routine when the virtual “Away” switch is turned on, but I don’t get how to change the thermostat’s mode via the routine.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi @phlepper,

Please refer to the ST community wiki.Everything is documented at the wiki under the ecobeeChangeMode wiki entry.

Look under configuration for an example for the Away mode:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeChangeMode#Configuration

Regards.

Yeah, I had looked at that already, but I didn’t want to use the ST Hello Modes. I have them currently set up based on time of day (Daytime, Nighttime, Sleeping) and adding in “Away” as an ST Hello Mode would require a lot of changes and since everything else in the house is working fine and it’s just the ST presence detection that isn’t, I was hoping to use a virtual switch that would be “on” when no one is home and “off” when anyone returns.

That part I can do, but I don’t know how to have EcobeeChangeMode work off the switch change (versus an ST hello mode change).

I may have to bite the bullet and create something like a two-phase hello mode, changing my 3 modes into 6 modes: Home-Daytime, Away-Daytime, Home-Nighttime, Away-Nighttime, etc.

As an aside, I’ve been looking online at how people use the hello modes with just an “Away” mode (e.g., Daytime, Nighttime, Sleeping, Away), but can’t figure out how they set the house to the correct mode when they return. I can’t figure how to set the house to, for instance, Daytime versus Nighttime depending on the current time. A lot of folks are using Webcore (I’m not) so maybe that has more capabilities to set the mode. Anyway, that’s not an Ecobee question, but is the reason I’m thinking I’ll have to change my 3 modes to 6 modes versus just 4 (adding an Away mode).

Thanks,
Paul

At my github, the new version of ecobeeChangeMode (v2.0) can use a virtual/physical switch to change the ecobee’s comfort settings.

Regards.

Awesome response, thanks!

In setting up the new ChangeMode, it appears there is an error in the input for the switch:

Looks like:

input "aSwitch", type:"capability.switch", required: false, description: "Optional"

should be:

input "aSwitch", "capability.switch", required: false, description: "Optional"

I’m not entirely sure, but the original just asked for free text to be filled in and the latter lists switches.

With that change, I was able to test it out and it works as expected.

Any chance I could get a similar change made to the ResumeProgram (to use a virtual switch instead of presence?)

Thanks a ton!
Paul

Yes, there is a version 2.2 at the github for that use case.

Regards.

Thanks for the quick response (again)!

Ultimately what I wanted was to use one switch, so the ResumeProgram should be triggered by the switch turning off, not on. I modified it on my end to use “off”:

in preferences:

section("Or the following virtual/physical switch is turned off)[optional]") {

in initialize:

if (aSwitch) {
    subscribe(aSwitch, "switch.off", offHandler, [filterEvents: false])
}

and changed onHandler to offHandler:

def offHandler(evt) {
    log.debug "$evt.name: $evt.value"
    def message = "EcobeeResumeProg>switch $aSwitch turned off, about to resume program"
    send(message)
    takeActions()    
}

This works perfectly for my needs. You may want to make it more generic to allow both the ChangeMode and ResumeProgram to use either on or off, but I just wanted to use the one switch, so I only need the one case (on in ChangeMode and off in ResumeProgram).

Thanks for helping me with this!

Paul

Yves,

It looks like there is an error in the ChangeMode code when no modes are specified (as in my case). It seems like it is changing to Away mode whenever the mode in the house changes (to any mode).

I’m not great at Groovy code, but it looks like this

if ((newMode != null) && (!foundMode)) {

log.debug "changeMode>location.mode= $location.mode, newMode=${newMode},foundMode=${foundMode}, not doing anything"
	return			
}

is the culprit. I’m assuming since I don’t set any modes (just the switch), that “newMode” is null and so the “skip” isn’t fired and it drops down to the next section which performs the “takeAction” code.

Seems like maybe the if statement should be something like this?

if ((newMode == null) || ((newMode != null) && (!foundMode)))

or maybe the initialize function doesn’t subscribe to mode if newMode is null?

if (!manualFlag) {
    if (newMode) {
        subscribe(location, "mode", changeMode)
    }
    if (aSwitch) {
        subscribe(aSwitch, "switch.on", onHandler, [filterEvents: false])
    }
} else {
    takeAction() 
}

Thanks,
Paul

Yes, the initialize function should not subscribe to the ST mode change if null.

It’s been corrected in the new version.

Regards.