*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

My Ecobee Device is straightforward the best 3rd party software I’ve ever worked with in my life. And I have a LOT of 3rd party stuff among my smart home devices and other tools. I also work in software support, and do some developing. This is simply fantastic software. I’ve been using it for over a year and recommend it to everyone I speak to who has an Ecobee.

Yves has also been the best support I have ever experienced with a product. He’s amazing in that regard. Three times I’ve had a software conflict, found a bug, or run into a potential improvement situation. And all three times he has replied to my email within hours, and sent me code updates that fixed in in less than 24 hours. And each of those times, within a few days there was an update sent out to everyone that included that fix.

As to updates. His method did feel a little unusual initially. But I simply posted one time in the forums here reviewing his product, again, like a year ago, if not longer. And have been on the mailing list for all updates ever since. Haven’t really been back to this forum since then.

I see no problem with this whatsoever.

2 Likes

The code has been awesome for me for the last 2 years. I’ve contributed to it and I appreciate the continued support. It was the least I could do to “like” it. This is a labor intensive endeavor by Yves and I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

2 Likes

I like my ecobee device so far. Don’t close it.

1 Like

I second this post in its entirety. My biggest concern about Yves update method is that i get TOO MANY frequent updates from him on something that is working perfectly from my perspective and I begrudgingly log into the IDE and update the code just to stay current, although my system is working flawlessly. I got my $20 worth long ago and every update I get now is gravy. Caveat Emptor when you’re working outside the lines of the official SmartThings product support – but my experience in this community with @yvesracine and just about any other 3rd party developer that is contributing to the community’s body of work is that they care deeply about Home Automation and want to provide the best experience possible. Yes, some of the back and forth in this thread isn’t the best communication etiquette from either party, but what do you expect when you attack someone publicly and demean his work?

All this over $20? SMDH.

3 Likes

I don’t see the current structure for getting updates to be a big deal. It literally doesn’t affect anyone. It gives me a good way to start up to date, as well as ensure that I can easily find the post in community.

Yves has provided top-notch support any time I’ve needed it, and I’m appreciative of his efforts.

3 Likes

At this point, I would cut your losses and apologize/refund, clearly state your policies going forward and ensure that people read the billing agreement through PayPal, and link your own policy on your website as at this rate you’re just going to start a pitchfork internet mob towards your company and products.

I’ve personally had nothing but great success with his solution and didn’t mind the service fee, if it were up to me I would pay him just to make sure my smart apps are never out dated - time is money in my world.

My two cents, cheers.

1 Like

I have no problem with this policy. The software works, the support is as advertised-EXCELLENT!

3 Likes

I been a long standing client of @yvesracine Ecobee SmartApp and it has performed flawlessly in my home. He releases more frequent updates than any other application I have purchased for more $$$. In my opinion, this thread is reflective of people who want to stir the pot for pot’s sake.

Bottom line: Fair Price, Great features!

3 Likes

Excellent application. Ignore the haters. These people are probably the same ones that post hate comments everywhere also (like on YouTube, Facebook, …). Cyber bullies. If they don’t like it, they can easily not buy Or not ask for updates or not come to this thread. But they chose to bully and write hurtful comments. There is absolutely nothing shady.

4 Likes

Super happy with the updates and it’s process. Keep it going!

3 Likes

I haven’t read the recent points fully, but I just wanted to note that I have been regularly seeing updates as they come in since my original payment for the devices over a year ago, which is great. This device code is easily some of the most reliable and feature rich 3rd party code that’s made it out of the ST community.

The only “updates” improvement I could see is maybe a running list of updates with different versions on a single page - rather than the email method. Truly, I wish SmartThings themselves would implement a better app-store of sorts, but until that happens we have what we have!

Anyway, asking for a like in the thread was not much to ask for me. It’s not different than asking to “rate my app” in an appstore. Although having paid for it, I may not feel that it should be “Required” to continue getting updates is all (99% of people will do it just because they do like it). Nevertheless, I DO like it, so I did like it =).

4 Likes

Hi @wjarrettc,

Sorry about the frequent updates, in software engineering, it’s always better to send incremental changes rather than big updates.

I will consider your input for the future. In fact, I feel a bit exhausted after finding some oddities under the new Samsung accounts (I think it’s also shard related).

I wanted to get the code ready for the next big thing: the ecobee switch which will entail even more real-time processing. I’ve done similar work for My Automatic device (real-time webhooks), so I’m actually laying the foundation for it.

Thnx for your support. I will take a step back in the next few weeks to look into ways to improve things. But, as there is no AppStore available, I have to deal with my e-commerce server limitations.

Thank you all for your support.

2 Likes

I paid for the product and it works. I’ve tried a handful of other Ecobee SmartThings apps and can’t say the same thing for them.

@yvesracine provides regular updates in exchange for a like on this post. I don’t see what the problem is. I wouldn’t care to receive the updates if the product didn’t work for me and i obviously wouldn’t have liked a post for a product I didn’t care for.

I know the likes help others find @yvesracine offerings and that some of these people turn into customers. That seems like a fair return for the frequent code updates.

3 Likes

Couple points of clarification for your rant:

1. I don’t care about the money. I asked for a refund due to being sick of arguing with him. His posts in Using Ecobee with SmartThings - #15 by vseven is what started all of this where he said anyone that criticizes his programming will no longer get updates to it.
  2. I NEVER received working code. When I made my payment was around the time when EcoBee/ST/this DTH was having authorization issues where you had to reauthorize multiple times a day. I uninstalled it until it could be fixed and publicly complained about it. yvesracine then removed me from updates including the ones that fixed most of those issues. So no “You got and used the code” is incorrect…I never got anything that actually worked.
  3. You are purchasing something. You shouldn’t have to stroke the authors ego to keep getting updates.
  4. I’m well past being a millennial.

@yvesracine - Your DTH was never under attack. Your shady business practices and the fact you cannot take criticism is what is publicly being discussed.

Again, never received anything that worked for more then a couple hours.

People deserve to be warned of his shady practices. He should also clearly call out his policies before someone purchases it by saying “If you ever say anything negative about me or my program ever then I will stop sending you updates” because that is his actual policy. I haven’t seen that written anywhere however which is why it’s being discussed right now.

If his policies were clearly stated in the first place none of this would be going on. Unfortunately to get a refund I have to retract anything I’ve ever said negatively about his program including agreeing to never say anything negative in the future: *** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)! - #678 by vseven . Thats pretty ridiculous.

1 Like

Hmm, so…I get a great product for $20 and to receive unlimited updates for the product I have to goto a site and give a positive review…

At this point, I can either choose not to give a “positive” review because I don’t like the product and don’t really want or need updates because I am going to find a better product or take a minute to give the review…

Oh wait, there is another option, not buy the product at all!

Even if this subscription is a little unorthodox, it’s still the requirements of the unlimited updates.

I don’t have an issue at all with the agreement because guess what? ITS A GREAT FREAKING PRODUCT!!! I’ve tried another and it was nothing but issues after issues.

If you don’t like the agreement then don’t agree to it and find another solution…

I recommend and back this product 100%.

2 Likes

Just as a reminder to all, my update policies are indicated at my store (where it matters)as stated in this thread before.

I do agree with this. If it is not working from the start, then you should not be required to give a positive review. It is up to the customer service to ensure that a product is working as advertised and once that happens then there shouldn’t be an lifetime obligation to ensure that the product always work. Lifetime product updates typically cost…

1 Like

And, I agree with you also. The fact of the matter is that this guy posted a negative review w/o contacting me first to see if I could help him.

And, then, almost 2 years after (he contributed in December 2015), he was asking for a refund because of my updates policy.

The way I see it, it’s just a smear campaign at this point.

So every single one of these positive posts is in response to a very unprofessional e-mail blast asking for people to come here and support the product? Talk about a complete lack of credibility and integrity in the review process.

4 Likes

So instead of trying to fix things you got defensive and stopped sending me updates making the software you sold me worthless since as mentioned above it didn’t work?

Again, never asked for a refund until recently simply because you were being arrogant. I don’t care about the money at this point, I care about other people not being swindled. There is also no way for people to say anything negative without being penalized as they stop getting updates.

I’m not trying to “smear” you. If you remember you brought all this out in the other thread. IT was you that started this, not me. I’m just making sure people have the FACTS to make a good decision between buying your EcoBee DTH or one of the free alternatives like [DEPRECATED] Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps.

Give me a positive review if you want to keep getting updates. Give me a negative review and I stop giving you updates. I’d trust this business model with my money.