SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] Resilient - My Ecobee Device & ecosystem v5 - The smartest thermostat under ST with new "comfort tips" features and Unique Integration with Echo/Ask Alexa

askalexa
ecobee
thermostat
climatecontrol
dth_hvac

Email with logs and other data sent :slight_smile:

I know there smartapp does not allow my HVAC to perform more than it is capable of. With my home layout (two stories, 5 rooms on each story, one ecobee sensor upstairs and the main ecobee3 thermostat downstairs) i am manually able to equalize the floors temperatures with between 12 and 22 minutes of fan only an hour.

Temp differential is generally around 8 degrees.

No drafts, well insulated, equal shade and sun per zone.

No air restrictions.

Poor return air duct volume, so the fan run during active cool only is not enough to evenly circulate the air.

I was just hoping to automate the process with some smartness to the process i have manually some in the past. The app doesn’t seem to be recognizing the differential between sensors and keeping the fan on. The logs for the differential checks seem to reflect different temperatures than are real and in the sensor and ecobee history.

(Yves Racine) #925

Hi @jbrukardt,

I’ve already responded to you by email.

Just looking at your configuration in ScheduleSetup>FanSettings,you didn’t specify to override the fan settings only when the indoor temp differential is reached as I wrote to you in the ST forum above, so this means that your fan will be on all the time during the smartapp cycle.

Also, FYI, you didn’t send me the right logs, I’d need the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule logs next time (if you have other issues).

Finally, with a 8-degree differential over 2 floors, I doubt that you’ll be able to harmonize your temperature inside the zoned rooms only with the HVAC fan … Just saying to manage your expectations…

(Yves Racine) #926

To whom it may concern (all ecobee users):

Since the July 19’s outage, which was reported under my thread, there has been NO ecobee outage as indicated at the ecobee status page below.

https://status.ecobee.com/

P. S. As a reminder, with my ecobee Device, you don’t need to always re-login at ecobee as the code is resilient to the ST or ecobee outages provided that the outage lasts less than 24 hours (as the refresh tokens last no more than 24 hours). No ecobee or ST outages have lasted more than 1 day in the last 2 years…

My ecobee device is available for download at my store:

Regards.

Posting a conclusion to this :slight_smile:

With Yves help, i have the air circulation mechanisms working well. It took some understanding of the many settings that are available, but once worked out i have a stable and well circulated zone setup that greatly reduces my AC usage overall and keeps the upstairs and downstairs zones well equalized.

Good product overall, and quick responses when I needed help grasping what the settings do.

(Yves Racine) #928

A lot of people use ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule to adjust their ecobee’s setpoints for their far away room with any ST connected temp/motion sensors (not only the ecobee’s proprietary ones) .

If you want later to do this use case, refer to:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Use_Case_.231:_I_have_a_single_HVAC_system_with_1_main_thermostat

Basically, in your case as your Room/Zone/Schedule setup is complete, you just need to set the following flag in GeneralSetup:

Section("Enable temp adjustment based on indoor temp/motion sensor(s) [optional, default=false]") {
"Enable temp adjustment based on avg temp collected at indoor sensor(s)?"
}

Your AC may be called more often if your remote sensors’ avg temperature is above the current ambient temperature at your thermostat unit downstairs. But, you’ll get more comfort for the upstairs rooms (especially at night).

P.S. If you follow the use case above, you need to deactivate the ecobee’s remote sensor(s) participation in your comfort settings at the ecobee portal and just use the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapp with the setting above.

(Yves Racine) #929

To all my contributors,

There has been an ecobee outage going on this morning since 6h40 EDT,
and if you’ve subscribed to the ecobee status page, you’d get some email notifications with the following message:

• We’re experiencing an elevated level of errors and are currently looking into the issue
  • Scheduled maintenance is currently in progress. We will provide updates as necessary.
  • Thermostat operation controlling heating/cooling equipment will not be affected, as they will be operating in offline mode.
  • Light switches may experience a momentary connection loss and reestablishment during this period.

During the outage, My ecobee device would not be responsive to any commands. However, commands are stored in a queue for execution in the next hour window.

If your ecobee tokens were expired (as ecobee requires than the auth tokens last not more than 1 hour for security purposes) and My ecobee device was trying to renew the auth tokens during the outage, then the device will be able to renew them as soon as ecobee allows it (as long as the outage doesn’t last more than 1 day).

It’s always a good idea to check the following ecobee status page for any ecobee issues:

P. S. With my ecobee Device, you don’t need to re-login at ecobee as the code is resilient to the ST or ecobee outages.

Regards.

(Yves Racine) #930

Hi again,

The ecobee outage was resolved at 07:51 EDT (scheduled maintenance) and now everything is back to normal. Commands that were not executed have been stored in a queue for execution in the next hour window.

It’s always a good idea to check the following ecobee status page for any ecobee issues:

P. S. With my ecobee Device, you don’t need to re-login at ecobee as the code is resilient to the ST or ecobee outages.

(Yves Racine) #931

Hi,

For all my contributors, I’ve just released new version of My Ecobee device (v5.9.9.y.8) which allows you to view/interact with the thermostat under the new Samsung app.

Please note that at the moment, the new Samsung app will only display the basic attributes for the thermostat until the custom capabilities are available for the developers. You can then use the ST classic app for more capabilities and commands.

The instructions to force a refresh for your existing device(s) are included in the installation file as part of the download zip file.

You can download the new versions at my store using your original sellfy download link.

Regards.

New app — which CUSTOM DTH’s will work?
(Yves Racine) #932

Hi,

For all my Ecobee bundle contributors, I’ve just released new versions of My Ecobee device (v5.9.9.y.9), My EcobeeInit (Service Manager, v4.0) which allow you to instantiate the new My Ecobee Switch (v1.0) (see screenshot below)

• If you’re are an active contributor to one of my support packages (and I have access to your ST account), the upgrade has already been done for you. You don’t need to do anything, everything has been taken care of.

• The code for the new My Ecobee Switch (v1.0) is part of My Ecobee bundle, so if you have contributed to such a bundle, then you can download the code right away using your original sellfy download link. With the ecobee bundle, you can then instantiate/control all My ecobee devices under the ST classic app with a single service manager.

• The code also includes some small minor enhancements to be able to automatically remove the devices from the MyEcobeeInit (Service manager) when a ST user forcefully deletes the devices using the IDE or the Samsung/SmartThings mobile apps.

• Please refer to the Release notes in order to ensure a smooth upgrade. There are some specific instructions included in the zip file.

Refer to the My ecobee Switch thread here:

• Please note that, at the moment, all My ecobee devices (thermostat + switch) can be used within the new Samsung app, but it will only display the basic attributes for the thermostat and switch until the custom capabilities are available for the developers. You can then use the ST classic app for more capabilities and commands.

• The instructions to force a refresh for your existing device(s) in order to be displayed under the new Samsung app are included in the installation file as part of the download zip file.

You can download the new versions at my store:

Regards

(Yves Racine) #933

Hi,

For all my contributors, I’ve just released a new version of My Ecobee device (v5.9.9.x) which allows you to change the audio settings of the ecobee4 (ex. playbackVolume, microphoneEnabled true or false). The command to be used is updateAudio().

// increase the playbackVolume to 100, disable the mic, the first
// parameter is the tstat’s serial number which can be null. The default
// device is the current tstat.

ex. device.updateAudio("", 100, false)

see https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/documentation/v1/objects/Audio.shtml for more details.

As a contributor to my code, if you haven’t upgraded to MyEcobeeInit (v4), you need to carefully read the release notes to ensure a smooth transition.

FYI, My Ecobee devices (tstat + switch) allow you to view/interact with the devices under the new Samsung app.

Please note that at the moment, the new Samsung app will only display the basic attributes for the thermostat until the custom capabilities are available for the developers. You can then use the ST classic app for more capabilities and commands.

The instructions to force a refresh for your existing device(s) in order to be displayed under the Samsung app are included in the installation file as part of the download zip file.

You can download the new versions at my store using your original sellfy download link.

P.S. If you’re an active contributor to one of my support packages (and I have access to your ST account), the upgrade has already been done for you. You don’t need to do anything, everything has been taken care of.

Regards.

Yves,

I’m trying to perform an update, but do not have access to the code. Am I missing something? I am unable to find a link in the original email from Sept 2016.

Regards,

Warren

(Yves Racine) #935

Hi, you need to use the original sellfy (ecommerce solution) download link to get minor updates. I don’t push email updates anymore as some of my contributors were complaining to being spammed.

Please send an email to services@maisonsecomatiq.com if you have any issues.

Regards

Thank you. It was in another email.

I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve put into keeping this updated.

(Mainak M) #937

Hello Yves,

Updated the smartapps and the device handler after a while, and I am having issues with the latest code. Unfortunately, didn’t take a backup of the old code. I am getting this error while setting a set points. In addition, the remote sensors are not showing the updated temperatures. Only when I reinitialize them via the ecobeeRemoteSensorInit smartapp does the temperature get updated. After that no more updates. Any help?

(Yves Racine) #938

Hi, did you follow the release notes’ instructions? It’s a major version of MyEcobeeInit (v4) so there are some extra steps included… In this case, you’d need to re-login at ecobee in MyEcobeeInit.

Make sure that all the code is saved and published, and it will work.

Regards.

(Mainak M) #939

Hello, yes, I rechecked the instructions in the PDF release notes and it is what I have done. Only thing I didn’t follow is for the Samsung app instead of the ST classic app. Also initialized using MyEcobeeInit multiple times.

(Yves Racine) #940

Yes, at this point, you can only use the ST classic app for cloud-to-cloud integration…This is not limited to My Ecobee device, this is for all custom DTHs.

When you want to instantiate cloud-to-cloud objects, you need to use the ST classic app only… That doesn’t impede you to see the instantiated Things under the new Samsung app (if needed, you just need to refresh your ST cache, the instructions are included in the pdf file to do so).

Regards.

(Mainak M) #941

Not sure how the new Samsung app comes into play here. I am not using it, and only the ST Classic app, yet I get these numberformatexception errors. Is it possible to get a copy of the older code that was working for me?

(Yves Racine) #942

Hi,

IF you have any issue with the new code, just do a fresh install… I don’t see why you’d get any issues at all as I’ve tested the upgrade at different user locations (with different shards) to be sure that the upgrade works for all.

And sorry, but I don’t have your ‘old code’’…

P.S. There may have been many releases since you last updated your code, and I don’t keep track of it.
Regards.

(Jc Graham) #943

Okay, I tap out on 5-6 emails in a couple hours.

Regards,

JC Graham, CFP©