*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

I was using the Iris Motion V2. The motion reaction is very fast but the temp reporting was slow. I could watch a separate thermometer sitting right next to the Iris rise 7-10 degrees and it never woke up and reported in. Even tried with 3 different units. It eventually would report, just not fast enough to keep up with the speed that the room was heating. The E3 unit is also not as fast as my thermometer but the room probably only over heats by 2-3 degrees before it reports in and the thermostat backs off.

I don’t have the Iris sensor at home, but I’m sure that you can adjust the temp reporting somehow…

Anyway, if the temp sensor supports the Refresh Capability, I added the “refresh” call in my smartapps.

Regards.

Aww, yeah I see that! I do have AskAlexa installed and configured.

Would be the difference between:

Alexa, set upstairs heat to 72
Alexa, tell SmartThings to set upstairs heat to 72

I can deal with that if I can remember. :grin:

Thanks

At home, I use the following as it’s easier on a day to day basis:

Alexa use Home set ecobee to 72

You can change the invocation name in the smartapp. SmartThings is too long to my taste.
Regards.

We’ve had a “Ghost”, we named Michael. <------Don’t know where the name came from and anytime anything weird happens we just blame it on Michael. So, seems like a very fitting invocation name and one that the family will get a kick out of!

Thanks again.

Alexa, tell Michael…Oh man I love it!

1 Like

FYI,

Under the following thread, there are some custom devices (DTH) that you can use to have a higher “refresh rate” than the default one. The DTHs have the “refresh” capability as well, so my smartapps now issue the “refresh” command to get the latest temp values.

Regards.

I have 2 thermostats in my house, one upstairs and one downstairs. I just ordered 2 of the ecobee lite thermostats to control both zones. I already have 10 temp sensors upstairs and 10 downstairs. If I purchase your software, will it control the thermostats and temp sensors so they average and don’t fight each other? Can I also add some smart vents later and do custom temp settings for each room?.. for example, when my motion sensors see that I’m upstairs in the betroom it would tell the upstairs thermostat and smart vent in the bedroom to adjust the temp to my ideal setting and to also stop heating or cooling the rest of the house that would be unoccupied? Forgive me if these questions have been asked before. I just want to make sure this app will work for what I’m trying to accomplish. Thanks!

Hi,

Here is what you need:

• MyEcobee device which is the DTH for interfacing with ecobee (at my store,look for the standalone version)
  • A zoning app to control the vents

There are 2 choices of zoning smartapps:

a) If you want to control your thermostat’s setpoints based on the avg temp calculation of multiple temp sensors, then ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule is the best app for you (at my store). However, you won’t be able to set a temp threshold for each room. Instead, it allows you to set a temp delta based on the thermostat’s setpoints to control the vents in each zone (a zone is composed of 1 to many rooms).

b) If you don’t really need the avg temp calculation between all your temp sensors, then the ScheduleRoomTempControl smartapp (at my store) can control the vents based on a (static/dynamic) temp threshold only.

Based on your requirements above, it looks like the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule is the best app for you (as it meets most of your requirements). Both smartapps above can take into account each room’s occupancy to control your setpoints/vents, so that the occupied rooms would receive most of the airflow.

In all cases, you’d need the DTH first (MyEcobee device).

For more details on my zoned heating/cooling solutions, refer to

and, the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

If you have further questions, you can send them to services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

I have an Ecobee3 and a few multi-sensors with the older version of the app. Things have been working great and we have enjoyed using them all.

2 Likes

I have been using Ecobee (connect) and overall was pretty happy with it, but recently installed and configured Ask Alexa, and wanted to take advantage of some of the options of this app. Then of course I see that it’s pay, which I have no problems with. Just curious about a few basic bits of info.

1. Does paying for the app include free upgrades to new version? Or does that require paying for support?
  2. How often are updates released?
    Other then integration with Ask Alexa (which is a nice one), what features will this give me over Ecobee (Connect).

Screen shots look nice, and it looks like a lot of effort has been put into this, so I’ll be happy to support this kind of development. :slight_smile:
Thanks

Hi @ptdalen,

1. See my terms of servcice at my store. There are limited updates unless you pay for continous support.

2. As the code is stable, updates are provided when required (for new features or bug correction)

3. See the 1st post for more details on the additional features over the stock ST device

Regards.

1 Like

Just a quick question I can’t seem to find the answer to.

Is there a way to detect a trigger event or something like that for when the heat / ac unit is on (running).

Curious if there was an easy way to capture the cycle time to set up some type of local logging for just me.

Hi,

You’d need to subscribe to thermostatOperatingState in a smartapp…

Or you can use groveStreams… See here:

I’ve already created a smartapp for it (available at my github) and here are some graph examples:

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @TN_Oldman

Just be careful with GroveStreams though, as it can become quite expensive depending on your plan.

Regards.

Thanks, I looked at what you sent. Seems a bit more than what I want. Also looked like you said I could accidentally run up a bill if not very careful.

I am using this to capture events.

Was just pondering a way to toss in the cycle time of my heating system to the mix. It seems it is beyond my current capability since I can’t code and I haven’t found a smart app to use to just subscribe to the thermostatOperatingState and put out a switch or contact that would follow it so grab basic on / off events.

I can just use the data provided by Ecobee (on their website) wasn’t that important. Things / ideas just pop into my head sometimes and I like to try and figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the initial answer and the follow up.

I DO appreciate everything you guys do to make things for us (that can’t code) work better, and the advice and directions when we need help this the simple/ obvious stuff.

I think the Simple Event Logger SmartApp allows you to log the thermostatOperatingState events…

Yeah, I just figured out what I was doing wrong in the app to get the operating state to log. I looked right past it several times.

Ignore me while I go beat my head against the wall for missing something soooo obvious!!! DUH!!!

1 Like

Gotta say this is pretty awesome. I love all the options in smart apps that come with it and the focus on detail. By far best device handler and smart apps for any product I have.

2 Likes

By far the most thorough app /device handler for ecobee out there.

1 Like

Great app, worth the investment/donation. Would love to see a somewhat more structured user manual so as to get the most out of all the features. Thanks for your awesome work.

Edited spelling

1 Like