*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

Resume Program should cover it I think. I’d have to schedule that piece. Thanks for the idea.

It might revert back to the schedule already (haven’t checked) but that’d be too late for Smart Recovery to engage.

Hi @bmmiller,

You need to be aware of the holdType parameter in MyEcobee device. You can set it
to ‘nextTransition’ so that your hold will stay till the next schedule at ecobee.

See the ST communiity wiki for more details (item 3b):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Configuration

Also, my Zoned Heating/cooling smartapp (ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule) can set an Away “hold” based on motion detection at home and “resume” the current program when you’re back home automatically (or vice-versa).

The smartapp can also do the same with the “more/less heat/cool thresholds” based on an outdoor temp threshold.

There is a lot of “intelligence” in the smartapp that cannot be reproduced in Core…

Regards.

Thanks @yvesracine. I’ve made that change so that should help some of the other edge cases but probably not Smart Recovery.

I think what @farlicimo referred to will cover the Smart Recovery situation. Occupancy sensors do me no good in that case because I want the system to bump up the setpoints prior to sensing occupancy, so the home is “at temperature” when people get home, not requiring the warm up period to occur with occupants present.

This is really only useful for highly scheduled events like coming home from work at a repeatable time. Everyone leaving the house randomly on a Saturday won’t benefit from it. In that situation, occupancy and your smart apps would work well.

I used this with my ecobee lites because I wanted to program changing modes instead of setting temperatures. Worked flawlessly.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi there - I’m not fully clear if the ability to use contact/multipurpose sensors with the Ecobee3 and this device type requires the full Ecobee3, or if it can work with the Ecobee3 Lite. I assume since the ST hub will be taking the input from the remote sensors and handling the actual logic, the Lite should work as there is no need for direct remote sensor input. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks for the hard work on this!

Hi,

Yes, my smartapps can work with all the ecobee thermostat models including the ecobee lite.

Note: You cannot connect any ecobee remote sensors to the ecobee lite directly.

Refer to this thread for more details:

Regards.

1 Like

OHello, I’m having/have had for a while, an issue where I tell Alexa to set the heat (say 72) and the heat changes…

The problem is, it will “Hold” there even though I have hold set up for 2hrs.

If I change the temp at therm, then it only holds for 2 hrs then resumes schedule.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Harmony Skill is enabled so don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Seems like it’s an issue with Ecobee…Going to make a Piston to resume schedule 3 at Midnight, 6am, Noon and 6pm unless there is a better solution.

Thanks.

Hi @rontalley,

See my previous post about the holdType parameter. I suggest to set it to “nextTransistion” if you don’t want your hold to be “permanent” when you use MyEcobee device (with askAlexa).

Regards.

Hi,

Since v5.6.6, MyEcobee device includes the new Health Check capability (still in beta).

For more details,

Regards.

Fyi I originally went with the lite and intended to use my other remote sensors. It worked fine for adjusting the temp up and down to compensate for slow and natural room differentials but I found that the sensors didn’t react fast enough compared to the speed at which my heat can warm certain rooms vs where the thermostat was. What I found upstairs was the room I wanted to use the remote sensor heats very fast whereas where the thermostat is heats very slowly. By the time the remote sensor registered the temp change the remote room had already risen 6-8 degrees (sometimes 10 depending on how doors set) vs the main unit only 1 or 2. I don’t think this has anything to do with the device handler but rather the reporting speed of my sensors. I then swapped out for a full E3 unit and its been much better as their sensor is reporting the temp change much faster. Down stairs where I still have an E3 lite it works fine because its a very open floor plan and things heat pretty evenly.

Seems the suggested (holdType parameter) will work if SmartThings was the one to change the temperature but I believe my problem is that the command comes from Amazon Echo so it bypasses ST and from my understanding if Ecobee gets a command from an outside party, then it goes into this permanent hold mode.

I have never tried changing the temperature with ST so I don’t know if the temperature get stuck or not like it does when changing with Alexa or Siri…

Sux. Wish they would rethink this…

Anyway, below is a piston that should force it back into schedule mode if it is in permanate hold mode. Didn’t see a way that I could query ST to see if it was in Hold Mode…If I could get that, then I could make it so I can have a counter as to how long its been in Hold mode and have conditions set up that way.

Hope it helps someone or am I looking at this all wrong?

Hi, @rontalley

My point is that you can also use AskAlexa (smartapp made by a fellow developer) which integrates Alexa to ST and then the holdType would work.

Regards.

1 Like

Your results may have been different in your context with the Iris Temp/Motion sensors (2nd gen) or the SmartSense snesors which a good refresh rate.

I also use the Wireless Tags at home with good results.

Regards.

I was using the Iris Motion V2. The motion reaction is very fast but the temp reporting was slow. I could watch a separate thermometer sitting right next to the Iris rise 7-10 degrees and it never woke up and reported in. Even tried with 3 different units. It eventually would report, just not fast enough to keep up with the speed that the room was heating. The E3 unit is also not as fast as my thermometer but the room probably only over heats by 2-3 degrees before it reports in and the thermostat backs off.

I don’t have the Iris sensor at home, but I’m sure that you can adjust the temp reporting somehow…

Anyway, if the temp sensor supports the Refresh Capability, I added the “refresh” call in my smartapps.

Regards.

Aww, yeah I see that! I do have AskAlexa installed and configured.

Would be the difference between:

Alexa, set upstairs heat to 72
Alexa, tell SmartThings to set upstairs heat to 72

I can deal with that if I can remember. :grin:

Thanks

At home, I use the following as it’s easier on a day to day basis:

Alexa use Home set ecobee to 72

You can change the invocation name in the smartapp. SmartThings is too long to my taste.
Regards.

We’ve had a “Ghost”, we named Michael. <------Don’t know where the name came from and anytime anything weird happens we just blame it on Michael. So, seems like a very fitting invocation name and one that the family will get a kick out of!

Thanks again.

Alexa, tell Michael…Oh man I love it!

1 Like

FYI,

Under the following thread, there are some custom devices (DTH) that you can use to have a higher “refresh rate” than the default one. The DTHs have the “refresh” capability as well, so my smartapps now issue the “refresh” command to get the latest temp values.

Regards.