*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

As I said earlier, my code itself has all the required mechanisms to avoid authentication issues provided that you
follow all the guidelines that I’ve thoroughly documented and configure MyEcobee device correctly.

If you have persistent authentication or UI issues in your ST account. I can fix them for you as soon as you contribute to one of my support packages.

Regards.

No issue with any of the many other apps or DHs. I responded to your e-mail.

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

I’m sorry that you’re having some kind of issues with My ecobee Device.

You seem to think that there are some issues with the code. I can assure you that there are none.

The code has been proven solid for hundreds of contributors over the years.

That’s why I still believe that you have some configuration issues or some localized issues within your ST or ecobee account.

BTW, I have solved all the issues above in the previous posts. It’s always a question of not following the installation/configuration steps and/or the prerequisites and misunderstanding the design of some specific smartapps… In very few cases, the ST or Ecobee account had some technical issues that needed some special intervention from my part or from ST/ecobee support.

That’s also why I took the time to document all the most common installation/configuration issues here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Configuration
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Troubleshooting

As I wrote earlier, the ST platform is fairly technical and should be more user friendly for all users out there especially for custom development like mine.

I’ve been pushing (and other community developers) for a ST appstore for years to no avail. I guess ST has other issues to solve first. A good ST appstore would solve many of these installation/configuration issues for end users. Custom DTHs are a bit of a challenge right now (compared to smartapps which are typically simpler to install).

And, extra support for cases like yours takes some time to investigate and that’s why I ask for a support contribution. My support packages sell for few bucks and your specific problem would be solved. It’s not possible for me to look at few exceptions (mostly coming from ST or ecobee) in some logs and know immediately what’s wrong with your configuration or ST account. I need to know how many thermostats and remote sensors (if any) you have, what’s your thermostat model, do you have HW issues with your remote sensors, on which shard you are, what’s your polling interval for My ecobee Device, have you tried before to delete everything and restart from scratch, etc. In brief, I need temporary access to your ST account to know what’s your specific configuration.

P.S. If I were just monitoring my own ST account, I would not be so confident about the code, but I’m looking at several ST accounts with many ecobee thermostats and remote sensors in different user locations running smoothly all over America and Canada…

I’d be happy to help you to solve your specific issues as soon as you contribute to one of my support packages.
Regards

I have to admit I’m a bit surprised to see this response, although I do appreciate your edits from the original one I saw in my inbox, since I chose to have this conversation privately. I won’t present my resume here but I can assure you my technical skills are more than fine.

This is really simple… I fundamentally have an issue with your approach to support and the perceived attitude by me of ‘RTFM and pay me’ w/o a single question despite multiple complaints on the same issue and your own acknowledgement that you have ‘recently received a higher number of complaints than usual about MyEcobee device’s unauthorized exceptions.’.

Since I respect your efforts and many people here do not seem to have the same concern, as you have great detailed responses to many of the users here and a very supportive community which you deserve, I chose to have my conversation with you in private and stated we should go our separate ways. I believe it was a respectful but clear picture of how I felt and in no way was simply about the money aspect. I’ve personally contributed monetarily to other developers here who’s work and time I benefit from and I believe everyone should do the same.

As I stated in the e-mail I wish you the best and continued success with your impressive efforts. We simply have a different philosophy on the developer / user engagement in this instance and should move on.

1 Like

Yes, clearly we have a different support approach and that’s fine. There are many happy ecobee users who enjoy the DTHs right now (as you can see in this thread). Sadly, I cannot make everybody happy, but it’s the best support approach I’ve chosen for myself and my family.

My development and support time is limited and this is just a side hobby for me.

And, don’t forget that I’ve been doing that for almost 3 years now… There are reasons why I decided to take that approach and I’m here for the long run…

Regards

EDIT: And, I sent this email because there are no exceptions caused by my code normally (apart from the ST exceptions caused by its backend), so anything above 0 is unusual…

1 Like

Wow, if you have any questions about how to integrate MyEcobee device with iRule. Here
is a good post:

You can also see how solid MyEcobee’s implementation is (no disconnect issues).

Regards.

1 Like

FYI, I was able to fix my issue by clearing the holdType field and setting it to nextTransition. No more error and the thermostat is acting as requested.

1 Like

Well, according to the Trace log I think I keep on loosing the Token.
I used a Motion sensor in the bedroom as a Watchdog but it didn’t help.
If I re-launch the My Ecobee Init, it always creates another device and anyway end up loosing the token after a while.

Do you think I should I reinstall the whole thing?

Yes, try that and you should consider my support packages if it does not work.

Go under Automation/Smartapps and remove all instances of MyEcobeeInit.

When you re-execute MyEcobeeInit, you need to do it -under the ST mobile app- at
Automation/Smartapps in the bottom menu. I suspect that you keep creating new instances
of MyEcobeeInit and you shouldn’t. That’s why you keep creating new devices.

If it doesn’t work, there must be something wrong with your ST account for sure. I haven’t seen any authentication issues for more than a year in the ST accounts I supervise. And, apart from some isolated case(s) like yours, I haven’t received any complaints from my pool of contributors about it.

Also, be careful about the logs, try to manually refresh the device, and check if the data is updated. You may interpret that the tokens are lost, but they are not: the trace could be just the regular token processing (especially if you set the logFIlter to 4 and above). Some people PM me detailed logs from time to time and there is nothing abnormal about them.

The code has been solid since the beginning of 2016 based on all the defensive coding mechanisms I’ve implemented. Actually, at home, I don’t even use watchdogs as it’s not even necessary. If you use a watchdog, you need to use a regular polling device (which polls every 5-10 minutes). This watchdog acts like a ‘heartbeat’ to work around the ST scheduling issues.

P.S. BTW, at the same time, please always upgrade to the latest version, which is v5.7.9 now.

EDIT: If you’re so worried about the tokens, just set handleException flag to true in MyEcobeeInit, the smartapp will then notify you proactively when there are serious exceptions in its processing. See the ST community wiki troubleshooting section under item 15:

Regards.

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues getting my Ecobee’s to respond to the ChangeMode SmartApp apparently randomly. I am using the latest Ecobee Device (5.7.7) and followed the directions that you’ve provided in here in the Smartthings Community for using EcobeeInit and the ChangeMode SmartApp. Form what I can gather it seems to be related to me running my “Away” routine in the ST mobile app manually versus waiting for one of the configured triggers to occur. I have not used any optional watchdogs at this point 9set to defaults). I’m using 3 Change Mode apps - one for Away, Sleep and Home mapped to Away, Night and Home relatively in the Ecobee. I’ll run through your troubleshooting tips but wondered if there was something you knew off that folks often mess up that would cause this.

Many thanks!

Hi @Tanraell,

First, you need to be aware that ecobeeChangeMode will change your setpoints according to your ecobee Away program by applying a ‘hold’ at your thermostat (the thermostat unit or the ecobee app/portal will not display the Away mode per se): this is due to the way the ecobee APIs work. Some people expect the same behavior than at the physical thermostat, but this is not possible as MyEcobee device uses the ecobee APIs for any change.

When you’re back home, you should then run ecobeeResumeProg to cancel the hold, and return to your normal schedule

If you have any exceptions in the logs, PM me the logs (services@maisonsecomatiq.com) and I will look into it.

Also, see http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeChangeMode#Troubleshooting (item 3 ).

Regards.

Yves,

Thanks for the information. I clearly misunderstood how the ChangeMode app was supposed to work. I have three instances of the ChangeMode smart app installed one for each mode. I had thought if I used routines that set the “Home”, “Away” and “Sleep” based on specific triggers and assumed the SmartApp would set the Ecobee to the corresponding Ecobee mode automatically each time the routine ran (even if it’s a “hold”).

I’ll check the logs as well.

cheers

Yes, it should work based on your routines… The ST hello mode should be set correctly before in order to trigger the right ecobee setpoints change as a ‘hold’.

I use it at home every day and it works well.

Regards.

I just wanted to throw a note of support in here for this project, as it’s obvious Yves has put a lot of work into it – to all of our benefit – and the results clearly show that.

After fighting with the default Smartthings/Ecobee integrations, and then again with the major open source handler, I spent the money on this project… then everything just worked. And has been working well.

I like that there’s plenty of convenience functions built into the code, which makes it pretty quick and easy to work into almost any automation workflow. I’ve got it successfully integrated with Alexa, Ask Alexa, and my CoRE/Piston rules. It’s pretty great!

For those coming in from Google, and still on the fence, make your lives easier and give this project a shot… I highly recommend it! This thread, specifically, is also extremely helpful (and, pay attention to your holdType setting!).

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it!

1 Like

Thanks, great product, love it! Please add me to your subscription list for future updates

1 Like

For the benefits of everybody who is looking at hooking up their ecobee Lite or ecobee3 to ST, I’ve described
at the beginning of this thread all the features and smartapps available with MyEcobee device.

Refer to the very 1st post:

Regards.

First, I want to say I switched from a single nest in my two story home to two ecobee3 lites using your apps and I’m extremely happy with how well it works. I greatly appreciate your efforts in creating and maintaining this code!

I’ve had an odd issue I was hoping I could get some help with. As I said, I have two of these devices - 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. I’ve setup our Android phones in the house as “presence” devices with ST and have it setup so that when we leave the house ST goes into its Away mode and when we return it goes back to Home. I’ve then configured the ecobeeChangeMode to trigger for when we go Away to set the program to Away on the ecobee3 and then I’m ecobeeResumeProg to tell the ecobee3’s to resume their regularly scheduled programming when ST triggers “home”. All of this should run the away and home climate programs on the ecobee’s accordingly. The upstairs one has worked perfectly without issue from day 1. For some reason, the downstairs one seems to constantly get stuck in the away mode and doesn’t resume.

I’ve checked the logs for the problem device and I can see the APP_COMMAND setThisTstatClimate where it gets set to away and the device responds with changing modes as expected. I can then also see when we return in the logs where it says the APP_COMMAND resumeThisTstat and it says the command was sent to the problem thermostat but when I go look later the downstairs one says its still in Away mode and holding while the upstairs has resumed properly. As far as I can tell everything is identical between the thermostats and the apps that I’m using the triggers on has both thermostats selected in the away and resume program. It’s possible I’ve done something wrong as I’m relatively new to ST and the ecobee’s but I don’t think so. I would also say I’m a fairly technical user so I think I can make sense of most of this usually, but I’m definitely open to suggestions if I may have something misconfigured.

Anybody run into this or have any help or advice to get around this issue?

Thanks!
Brian

Hi,

You have to enable tracing in MyEcobee device for your troubled device as indicated here
(under item 9):

Don’t forget to set the logFilter to 4 (DEBUG level).

And, then click on the device in live logging and send me the logs at
services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

Regards.

I will work on this and try to get some logs to you! I was just trying to reproduce it on demand right now by manually activating the routines but of course its working properly at the moment. I’ll just try to keep and eye and see if I can catch it doing it.

Thanks!
Brian

Hi, if it is working properly now, but sometimes doesn’t work, this could be a temporary issue with the ST platform.

Regards.