[RELEASE] Rental Lock Automater - Airbnb, VRBO, HomeAway, TripAdvisor, Booking, Expedia

Last night at 1:50 am (I was asleep) I got a request to book which I believe was spam. This morning when I saw it I declined the request. However, I also received a text message a 1:50am as well stating that a new code had been generated for this user. I didn’t see this text message until after I declined the reservation, so when I went to my smart things app, I did not see the user had been added. I also did not receive any notification that the user had been removed. My question is whether or not the code was actually generated in the smart app and lock before I accepted the guest? Thank you

UPDATE: Airbnb has fixeded the issue with their iCal system

RLA works off the reservation data provided by AirBnB in the iCalendar. In the case above it looks like AirBnB showed the reservation as confirmed on the iCalendar so the app processed it and generated a code for the guest. When you cancelled the reservation the next morning, the reservation was removed from the iCalendar which the app detected and removed the guest code.
Whether the code was activated (and deactivated) on the lock depends on the check in date and how you’ve setup the code activation options (same day or X days ahead). You can verify this by looking at the Recently tab in the Classic ST app for the lock or if you’ve enabled detailed notifications in the app it will sends you a message when the codes are activated and deactivated.

In future if you come across any guest reservations which aren’t confirmed according to you by but the app has assigned a code, take a snapshot and download the iCalendar (open the iCal URL in a browser and save it) and send it across to our support desk so we can investigate it further and figure out why AirBnB is showing it as a confirmed reservation.

Airbnb must be making changes to their iCal, because tentative bookings have never appeared on there before.

@RBoy I’m sure many people here would enjoy a new feature that supported lock code generation based purely off the checkin/out dates from a generic iCal URL.

Reasons being, many of us have a PMS or other management programs that manage Airbnb + Vrbo + Tripadvisor, and those PMS/management programs also have an exportable iCal. Most large scale vacation rental groups will have this, and will actually generate native bookings via their own website.

Alternatively, an API based integration would be ideal, but I understand how that would cost a lot more and be a ton more work, plus privacy/security issues.

Incase anyone is interested in using STHM (New ST app SmartThings Home Monitor, RLA can control Classic SHM directly) with RLA, you can see this write up from @milandjurovic71

1 Like

@RBoy regarding API based ideas, many of us professional property managers utilize Smartbnb for property messaging management. They have a webhook for both platforms that would be an excellent source for lock code management: http://help.smartbnb.io/en/articles/600261-webhooks-for-airbnb-and-homeaway

I’m willing to pay for this. I’m sure I could recruit a group of people to do this as a group buy.

Hi there. Thanks for your feedback. I’ve made a note; we are constantly working to expand the integration options and will keep this in mind.

Rental Lock Automater (RLA) - Version 03.06.00

• Added more Check-in and Check-out actions for each property like turning on/off switches, changing modes and thermostat setpoints

Hi - I’ve recently started using Smoobu to coordinate the booking channels and notice that in the CRM section of Smoobu they capture the full phone number of the client. I wondered if there was a way of connecting RLA to the Smoobu data to revive sending SMS to clients with their code?

I continue to get an error with our VRBO calendar and I am unable to fix the problem.
I have AirBnB and Vrbo calendar URL’s in RLA. AirBnB is working fine, but Vrbo keeps saying "Error downloading property … calendar. Retrying in about 60 minutes."

I put the URL into Chrome and was able to download the calendar and view it so I have confirmed the link is correct.

Any idea what the error could be?

Hi there. If you trigger a iCalendar download too many times (open the properly pages or trigger it manually) then the VRBO server blocks the app IP because you’ve exceeded the download threshold. Remove your iCalendar link from the app or disable the app for 24 hours and then try it again. The more you try to connect, the longer VRBO will block access until it has cooled off.

Thank you, I will try that.

I have had the same issue. What has changed? The app was working fine interfacing with VRBO until recently. Is there something that can be changed in app to slow down the triggering effect you mention?

Rental Lock Automater (RLA) - Version 03.07.00

• New option to generate a unique Random user code for the duration of each reservation
  • Allow the user to adjust the calendar synchronization interval (default 2 hours) through the advanced settings section
  • Trigger a manual calendar sync when the user taps the Manage Property page instead of every time the app is opened

Hi there,

Just installed RLA 03.07.00. Everything seems to work except not able to manually add users. Automated codes are generated as expected. Any suggestion what could be done to fix it?

Is it possible to do so with Kaadas k9 Z-wave door lock??

It the lock supports remote programming over z-wave for the keypad users then yes.

Is support for expedia coming soon? Also want to voice support to the other members requesting misterb&b

Rental Lock Automater (RLA) - Version 03.08.00

• Now you can create an action to toggle a switch when locking or unlocking via a keypad

This is helpful if you’re using LUM with a Keypad and a switch like a garage door opener or light where you need to have the same user code (unlock or lock) toggle it’s state.

Please ensure that your lock is within 20ft of a buffering device for the best experience (the buffering device should be between the hub and the lock for maximum effectiveness).

Optionally you can use the Enhanced Universal Z-Wave Lock or the Universal ZigBee Lock device handler for a more customized lock experience.

© RBoy Apps

HI,

I am getting a kwikset 914 lock. I have a light switch right next to the door, will that be good enough or do I need to get a specific repeater?
Can I program the lock to lock every night at a certain time?