[RELEASE] Remotec ZXT-120 AC IR Controller (2015)

Anyone know if its possible to have the ZXT-120 go below 19C? My AC can go Down to 16C, and if I set that With Remote it cools alot better than 19C via Smartthings:/

part of the check for this is in the code from Ron.

If you can edit the code, you can try changing the 19 setting to 15 and see if it works. I think this comes from
the zxt docs, but perhaps it works…your mileage may vary…

you would look for the def setCoolingSetpoint

The device has specific slots for codes and 19 is the lowest. Your only option is to use learning mode to learn the signal into slot 19c and then just set to 19 knowing it really means 16.

Of course you would have to learn any other codes you need also so it is a difficult setup.

Hi Ron!

It seems that you have created two apps and one device handler for this device. Thanks for the great work!

However, I have to say it’s a little too hard to follow through all the thread messages and make sure every important aspect is taken into consideration. I was wondering if you could kindly put together a manual, by which one can easily go from the step that they have received the device to the point that they can control the air conditioner through their smartthings app. I have been trying to get the device set for the past two weeks, but I weren’t able to (I know I’m a little lazy and on a time budget)

Thanks,

Javad

2 Likes

@Javad_Taheri that’s a good idea. I will work on that.

2 Likes

How do I have your app learn from my remote?

It is described a few times in this very thread. For example

I tried that and only have the ability to turn on or off the air conditioner. I have no control over fan speed or temperature and no accurate display of the status of the air conditioner. My air conditioner is a Maytag window unit. The remote does not have an LCD display.

Thanks! Looking forward to see it posted here. :slight_smile:

Firstly, I wanted to post a big thanks to @Ron for creating this! I think I had a harder time adding a Cree connected lightbulb to ST than the ZXT-120! :wink:

I do have one question already though, and I don’t think I saw it asked in the thread. When I change the temperature, I noticed that it doesn’t send the change to the AC. It only sends the temperature change command after I press the cool button again. On my regular remote changing the temperature sends the temperature to the AC immediately. Do I not have it set up correctly?

Thank you!

I just tested out your version, and it seems to be working a lot better for me! Thank you! I can set temperatures in ST, and it will automatically change on the AC instead of having to press the cool button after setting the temp. This makes homebridge/echo work so much better! The temperature I set matches the AC display a lot better too.

I also appreciate that there is now an icon. Sometimes it’s the little things. :wink:

What I couldn’t get to work is the “configure” tile to reset ir config codes and temp offsets. In the code, I uncommented out the areas that make the tile show, but once the tile appears in the app, it doesn’t do anything when I tap it. I’m probably missing something big. Can you please help? Thank you!

Hi @Ron, Thanks for making this.

I’ve gone read thru the entire thread, as well as the one dated 2014, so I have a pretty good idea around the state of things. However, reading so many threads, I have jumbled somethings in my head.

Using this for reference:

• The 3rd tile on the top row. How do I set the name ZXT-120. I saw in another thread where someone had a custom name for that.

• The Temp displayed on that tile, is it from the ZXT-120, or from the AC? (I’ve seem multiple posts from you that you couldn’t get that work right, but not sure of the context) I’m assuming from the ZXT-120, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

• In the First Tile on the top row what is the Temp there? Is it the same as the 3rd one?

• What’s the battery level? From FLIR mode (which you’ve said don’t use?)

Right now I’m using Code 16.

WAY down at the bottom, are 3 Tiles I don’t understand.
I get the Learn tile (with no picture, I found that Thread about the TP paper). That one I get.
What’s the Round Arrow (Undo/ reload) do?
What’s the Configure button do, and what’s the V3-L button do?

I’m hoping you can answer this one, but I recognize this is device specific. I found Code 16 by trial an error. Is it enough to assume that if it mostly appears to work, that it all works? Mainly I’m concerned when I send 72degs, I’m hoping the zxt-120 is sending the correct code for that.

I’m planning on making a post to help round out your installation guide. You can totally rip it off and put it in the first post in this thread to complete your install guide (or throw it in the one in Github)

One last thing. Having your repository named SmartThingsPublic made it hard to find the correct device handler. (Mine, and another Github used the same) I’ve seen other projects use custom names. (lock-manager for example) Just a suggestion

In Settings[quote=“mpking, post:195, topic:9902”]
The Temp displayed on that tile, is it from the ZXT-120, or from the AC? (I’ve seem multiple posts from you that you couldn’t get that work right, but not sure of the context) I’m assuming from the ZXT-120, it’s the only thing that makes sense.
[/quote]
zxt-120 never displays anything from the AC there is no communication BACK to the zxt-120. So simply not possible and I never tried because I know how the thing works :slight_smile:[quote=“mpking, post:195, topic:9902”]
In the First Tile on the top row what is the Temp there? Is it the same as the 3rd one?
[/quote]
Yes, same. I created two tiles back in the day when the app used to let you select which tile you wanted to display. Some people liked just the temp. I have 5 AC/Heat units so I wanted the name and the temp displayed. Hence the 3rd tile.

Battery Level of the ZXT-120 if you are using batteries. You are correct however that in continuous mode you need to plug the device in so it’s kinda useless.

OK glad you get that one. Of course since you are using code 16 there is no learning. I would like to only display the learning tiles if user sets code to 0 but alas SmartThings doesn’t support dynamic tiles.[quote=“mpking, post:195, topic:9902”]
What’s the Round Arrow (Undo/ reload) do?
[/quote]
Round Arrow is a refresh. It’s polls the zxt-120 for it’s data.

It sends the configuration to the ZXT-120. You should have needed to use that to set your code to 16 on the device.

I would have no way of knowing that. I don’t even know for sure the codes I use actually send the correct temp. It’s one thing I don’t like about my Split AC/Heat system there is no way to tell what settings are currently set. They assume you are using their remote and sent the settings that way so there is no feedback But the room temp seems to reach the correct temp so I am happy with my settings.

Thanks, I will do that. You can even fork the repo in github and send me a pull request if you want to just edit the document directly. I will happily accept the pull request if you are only changing the documentation.[quote=“mpking, post:195, topic:9902”]
One last thing. Having your repository named SmartThingsPublic made it hard to find the correct device handler. (Mine, and another Github used the same) I’ve seen other projects use custom names. (lock-manager for example) Just a suggestion
[/quote]

I did that back when SmartThings first implemented github and you had to fork their repo and use it. Their instructions didn’t really explain you can make a new project and incorporate many back then so I just forked their example and used it. Many of us did. If I change the name now I am afraid it will break my IDE integration (smartthings code tends to be very touchy) so I play it safe and leave it alone. If I worked on a new project I might start a new repo but I have mostly given up on SmartThings so not much in the pipeline.
Thanks for the feedback though, I do appreciate it and understand the difficulty. I don’t really have a lot of time to support this code for free anyway so maybe a little difficult to find is a good thing, haha.

Submitted my Pull for the readme.md file.

I’ve been playing with the layout in my local copy. This is what I ended up with.
I wanted to get most everything on one page, but still have stuff big enough to see. Mostly the info stuff is 1x1 tiles, and active stuff is big tiles. I did leave the “refresh” button 1x1 since it’s not normally needed, same with the fan / swings. I removed the learning buttons since I don’t need those after I found my remote code.
I also created a hidden tile that has the Thermostat Icon, and made that the Main so I get the thermostat icon instead of a gray circle.

Sorry all… Abit off topic. Anyone know how can I set automation for using this device. Either by timing or by arrival sensor. Thanks

See the Code posted in Post #21

Like @mpking suggested you can use my two smart apps for triggering on specific temp or at a specific time. I use these to turn the units on if my home get hotter than 80 degrees. I use the time smart app to turn off my units in the morning when I leave the house and at night in my guest room in case I left the unit on.

You can also use this smart app to create unique stateless on/off buttons for Heat/Cool and Dry. This allows you to use these buttons to make the ZXT-120 work with any smart app that needs a “switch” it also allows you to tie the ZXT-120 to Home Automation and devices like Amazon Echo or Google Home. For example if you create a virtual On/Off button for cool and name it “Bedroom cool” then you can turn on your AC cool with the Switch. It doesn’t change temps it simple uses the current set temp.

You need to first installed this device type.

Then Install this SmartApp and configure it to create the buttons you wish to create.

@Ron thanks alot. Will try

@Ron

Not sure if this is even possible, but can the zxt-120/device handler pull the temperature, fan setting, swing etc, info directly from the AC. For instance, sometimes I just use the ACs real remote to turn on the ac and set the temperature. It would be nice to get those changes read by the zxt-120 and update smart things. Thank you! I’m not sure if you’re even getting these replies @Ron.

No it can’t do this. As I have said [quote=“Ron, post:196, topic:9902”]
zxt-120 never displays anything from the AC there is no communication BACK to the zxt-120. So simply not possible …
[/quote]