[OBSOLETE] Remotec ZRC-90 Scene Master - Button Device Supporting 24 Unique Button Commands (see post 177 for 2021 app version)

That usually happens because you copied a device type handler but you pasted it in as a smartapp.

1 Like

Dā€™oh - Yes, thatā€™s what it was. Sorry, clearly a new one here. Working now!

1 Like

For me the ZRC-90 is not registering button presses occasionally. It misses hold events very often. Do you have any any idea what might be causing such behaviour?

Installed both the DH and this SmartApp. While setting up, the setup screen for button 5 is not showing up anything, only [remove] and [next] available. Button 6 onwards is fine again. What could be the issue?

@maxtay Which SmartApp?

1 Like

The ZRC-90 Scene Master. I found the root cause. When copying the code, the line for button 5 has been pasted as ā€œåŒā€ rather than ( 5 ). I think it is an add-on on my browser trying to be smart. Thanks.

Hello,

I tried adding raw code and go this error:

No signature of method: script_app_metadata_da7ddc48_6d3e_4ca7_9a2c_e1bc7cb5e0f4.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script_app_metadata_da7ddc48_6d3e_4ca7_9a2c_e1bc7cb5e0f4$_run_closure1) values: [script_app_metadata_da7ddc48_6d3e_4ca7_9a2c_e1bc7cb5e0f4$_run_closure1@73e03d86] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Any help is appreciated. I also added the ZRC and have it as a device in my smartthings app but I cant seem to find it to check off on any smartapp. Will this change once I put in the code?

Normally that error occurs when you take code which is a device type handler but you paste it in as a smart app. These are two completely different types of code.

See the FAQ:

[OBSOLETE] FAQ: An Overview of Using Custom Code in SmartThings (SmartThings Classic, Groovy Code)

The good news is that yes, once you have the correct code correctly installed then you will be able to use the device in automations. Thatā€™s kind of the whole point of using the custom DTH. :sunglasses:

Thanks a bunch!

You wouldnā€™t happen to be able to guide me to the Remote ZRC smartapp code to copy into the smart app? I thought that was what you provided but I do not see it.

The code in this thread is a device type handler (DTH) which will make the device look like it has 24 different buttons. Those ā€œbutton pressesā€ will be reported to the smartthings hub.

You donā€™t need a special smart app. You will be able to detect those button presses with any standard automation, including the official smartlighting feature. So you just use those as a trigger. You should also be able to use it with webcore.

I know that worked great in the classic app. To be honest, I donā€™t know if this particular DTH works with the new V3 app or not. Hopefully someone else in the thread will know.

Thanks. That is really what I am looking for. the 24 button press and I have only been using the classic app on my android. I added the ZRC as a device so now I should be able to copy the code into the DTH section, correct? From there I can organize on my mobile classic app I suspect?

Iā€™m not sure I understand your question, but if you read the community custom code FAQ, it lists the steps you need to go through to use a custom DTH:

[OBSOLETE] FAQ: An Overview of Using Custom Code in SmartThings (SmartThings Classic, Groovy Code)

1 Like

Okā€¦I was able to add the code and publish to myself on IDE. I found my device and went to edit and add the DTH but I am not sure where to do this. Changed ā€œversionā€ to self-published. Is this the area? The below is where I am stuck

ā€œDT6) Edit the Device so that it uses that device type handler.ā€

I have installed the custom device handler for my recently purchased ZRC-90, clicked on Save, and clicked on Publish for me. I have then several times clicked Edit after telling the device to use the custom device handler, but every time I click Edit I get a blank screen. When I look at the Device list again I see that it is still showing the standard ā€œZ-wave remoteā€ device handler for the device, not the custom device handler. I have tried removing and reinstalling the ZRC-90. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the custom device handler. I have previously succeeded in configuring other devices to use custom device handlers, so it should not be user error.

Try logging into the IDE from a browser using private mode. Whenever I encounter IDE weirdness, this usually fixes it for me.

Lately I canā€™t even create a simulated switch in my account without being in private mode.

1 Like

Amazing, that worked immediately. Thank you nathancu for your speedy response.

2 Likes

I have not been able to get this DTH to throw events in my smart app. I see the DTH reporting the button presses in the log, but I donā€™t get the debug line from my event handlers. Iā€™m using the Button capability and have tried to subscribe to: ā€œbuttonā€, ā€œbutton.pushedā€, ā€œbutton.heldā€, ā€œbutton.down_holdā€, and ā€œbutton.doubleā€ none work.

I then changed the DTH for the remote to the default ā€œZ-Wave Multi Buttonā€ DTH, and it worked perfectly. Iā€™m guessing this DTH is not yet compatible with the new smartthings app?

Maybe the ā€œnumber of buttonsā€ event didnā€™t get generated until you switched device handlers. Iā€™d try to switch back, go into the classic app and tap the gear icon, then tap save. It should generate a number of buttons event.

Edit: Actually, hit the configure button in the classic app.

Do you ever get this figured out? I have the same remote and Iā€™m trying to get to work with the new SmartThings app.

Hi Eric,

Do you intend to update your code for working with the new SmartThings app? Im only able to access the device using the Classic app. When using your device handler, I cant seems to configure the buttons. :frowning: