[OBSOLETE] RainMachine

Inside IP didn’t make a difference. It just spins for 10 sec. and then comes up with a white page. I am not at the same location right now. I can try the inside ip when I get home.

This version of the app will only work with an internal IP over your LAN. No port forwarding or DDNS needed. What RM model do you have?

Mini-8
Firmware 4.0.712
Hardware Revision 2
Just received it a few weeks ago.

So in the SmartApp set up, you’ll want to use your local IP and port 18080. You can always test to verify your RainMachine is listening by hitting that IP in your browser.

When I try and hit it from the inside on port 18080 I get refused but when I portscan the device I see that the port is open and responding. when I try this, I get the API screen. https://device.ip:8080/api/4/ and I get it to come up using this also http://device.ip:18080/api/4/. So I guess because I am outside right now it isn’t working. I need my phone to be on the same network. I am running these web tests from a remote desktop inside the network.

Yeah in that case, the SmartThings app should be able to work if you put in that local device IP and port 18080.

Newbie here. I have a newly-purchased RainMachine mini 8 and have installed it as the mfg suggests and it is working. Now I wish to integrate with the wish to control it via Smartthings. I see you have code to accomplish this, but it is not clear as to what to install.

The prerequiste/instructions provided from the github link in the first post seem to refer to copy-ninja code that is from Nov '15. They say that port forwarding of port 80 is a prereq. Is this still the case?

They make no mention your listed .src files. Are these just for reference?

Can you suggest a good newbie topic perhaps. Thanks for the great work.

Start from this post for the newest updated version. For a Rainmachine mini-8, you will need to use 18080 as a port number in the SmartApp setup to get this to work.

Thanks for the quick reply! But I guess Im really green at this…

I was able to dl the zip that contains the src. files. Not sure how or what ST github integration is in step 3. would like to keep it updated. Step 4 mentions an install screen, which install screen and how did I get there?

Hey, @northrk! Welcome to the world of SmartThings! I’m glad you brought this up because I’ve been meaning to update the documentation in my repository but kept forgetting. It’s all updated now. so if you check out the wiki on my repo, the instructions should be updated:

Try following those install instructions and see if you get what you need. You don’t need to do any port forwarding. You don’t need to download the source files - you just end up copying/pasting into new SmartApp and SmartDevice entries in your SmartThings GraphAPI web interface. Don’t worry about the gitHub integration for now - that may be something you’d like to set up in the future to make updating a bit easier.

I was able to follow Jimxenus’ post for the correct source and the original install instructions from the first post link. It works to both turn on and off the zones I have setup just fine. It also returns an “error has occurred” message when I turn on either of the zones.

I had to improvise the instructions as the names have changed in the ST IDE web site, here is how:

Step 2…
Go to My Device Handlers > ‘Create New Device Handler’ Click the “From Code” tab. Paste RainMachine SmartDevice script there. Click Publish > For Me

Step 6…
Furnish the required fields. Port is 80 in the example below. IP address is available from the RainMachine app under Settings, About. Enter 18080 for Port on the RainMachine Mini 8.

I hope this helps the cause. If I can help with debugging the error let me know.

This is great stuff, especially since I came from using the old X10 Home Automation system.

Thanks

If you can have the live logging window open in the graph API page while generating the error that would be a good start to figuring out what’s happening.

OK Im a newbie. I get it. I’m game anyhow, how do I bring up the compiler/interface for Groovy?

I see you were talking about the ST web interface perhaps, I found the tab and launched my routine to turn on the valve. Here are some lines with error.

03b8164e-342c-40f9-b7fa-be14f90ac7fb 5:30:48 PM: info SHM isActiveSensor(contact:open, app: stay, location: stay, state: null) = null, locationId: 875b4ae7-a379-416c-a80a-af8d38dcea9c, ISA: 03b8164e-342c-40f9-b7fa-be14f90ac7fb
03b8164e-342c-40f9-b7fa-be14f90ac7fb 5:30:48 PM: trace devices=[]
03b8164e-342c-40f9-b7fa-be14f90ac7fb 5:30:48 PM: trace isStayModeSensor(contact: open)
03b8164e-342c-40f9-b7fa-be14f90ac7fb 5:30:48 PM: debug motionOrContactHandler(RM Zone: Overhead contact:open)
03b8164e-342c-40f9-b7fa-be14f90ac7fb 5:30:48 PM: info SHM intrusionHandler, locationId: 875b4ae7-a379-416c-a80a-af8d38dcea9c
ab33e173-26fe-4448-834f-9f1a2da688c5 5:30:48 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: physicalgraph.device.CommandService.executeAction() is applicable for argument types: (physicalgraph.device.cache.DeviceDTO, java.lang.Boolean) values: [RM Zone: Overhead, true] @ line 459
ab33e173-26fe-4448-834f-9f1a2da688c5 5:30:37 PM: trace settings: [valveDevices:[RM Zone: Overhead], valveAction:Open]
ab33e173-26fe-4448-834f-9f1a2da688c5 5:30:37 PM: debug HH execute(), newMode: null
52614a9c-e3a5-410c-882f-27b281ed5220 5:30:48 PM: debug Last refresh: 1463617847054
52614a9c-e3a5-410c-882f-27b281ed5220 5:30:48 PM: debug stored lastStarted as : 1463617848474
52614a9c-e3a5-410c-882f-27b281ed5220 5:30:48 PM: debug Zone turned on!

FYI Everyone - I just pushed out a version tweak that should make things more reliable when the valves transition between open and closed, especially when watching it happen in the mobile app. Now, whenever you manually turn a zone or program on/off, you should see it go to the “pending” state. A refresh action should run about 15 seconds later which should then set the tile correctly.

@northrk: As far as your issue goes, I’m not exactly sure. Are you positive you have my latest code installed? Both Smartapp and Device type? You say you launched a routine which triggered this error - does the same thing happen if you view that zone’s tile under “things” and click on it directly to turn it on or off?

I used the code that was available yesterday 5/18 at 2:27pm pst. Both Smartapp and Device type code was installed. I used a ST routine and received the error. If use the direct thing method I do not see the error.

I updated the two scripts with the newly revised versions and are not seeing the errors.

I see the instructions do not reflect the requirement for the port 18080 setting for the RM mini 8.

Thanks for your efforts! I’ll let you know of any other issues.

Is the entry “brbeaird/SmartThings_RainMachine/master” or “brbeaird/SmartThings_RainMachine/”?

Also, can you provide a link to how to add the Github repository for this source?

It should look like the screenshot below. More documentation is here:

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/tools-and-ide/github-integration.html

Note that you don’t really need to worry about the “make your own fork” part. You’re just linking to my existing repository in this case.

@brbeaird, Installed and configured the latest version. It was working as expected yesterday. Now when I touch a zone to start, it goes to OPENING for a brief moment and turns back to INACTIVE. Nothing happens. Any suggestions ?

Looking into the live Logging…

5aa33cc1-595a-406d-b2e3-a16ba653c5bb

3:04:09 PM:
error
java.lang.ClassCastException 

Also, the refresh does not work. Last refresh shows the date/time of initial configuration. Hitting refresh icon does nothing but getting stuck in ‘Checking…’