[OBSOLETE] RainMachine

Unfortunately it will terminate connection when using http://:8080 but easily succeeds with httpS://:8080

My guess is that I don’t have an unsecured interface on the Mini-8. I don’t want you wasting time and can make the mod myself in your hubaction. I’m pretty sure it won’t work though.

Thanks for confirming for me that I’m not nuts and things have not changed for the mini-8

The Mini-8 uses port 18080 for regular http access. I was able to connect to my Mini-8 using this port.

Edit: I am able to connect to my Mini-8, but I receive this error when I try to save the programs and zones

That’s awesome, @cjwarnock! I figured there would be an HTTP port in there somewhere.

I just pushed an update to the code that re-enables port as an input during setup. It defaults to 80 but should let you connect.

Just saw your edit - can you tell what actual error is being thrown in the logs when you try to finish the setup?

Yep, feel like a ditz, I port-scanned that thing eons ago and should’ve remembered that :slight_smile:

FYI, my setup was done on the iPad ST App and it did go all the way through. I got further than @cjwarnock did because mine saved and said, setting up… etc. However, when running refresh or stop, I see these errors below. I even modified the device ID to be the exact thing it should be in Hex, and still these come up:

7:01:27 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method sendCommand2() on null object @ line 143
7:01:25 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method refresh() on null object @ line 114
6:57:50 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method sendCommand2() on null object @ line 143
6:57:47 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method refresh() on null object @ line 114

Ok, so those errors are coming from the child device - I take it you’re hitting the refresh button on one of the zone or program tiles? It’s almost like it can’t call the parent smartapp code. Never seen that before.You could try modifying one of those lines to just call parent.sendAlert(“test”) and see if it still throws a null error.

I removed the device before you sent it. So before using what you mentioned, I simply set it up again from scratch with the right port of course modified in the code. It now works like a charm and added a bunch of Rain Machine things, one for each zone and one for each program. Very extensive/impressive implementation. One suggestion would be to allow me to name the future created devices otherwise the name is so long that all I see is a bunch of “RainMachine Progra” and don’t know which is which. Same applies to zones. Other than that, wow… you got this stuff down :slight_smile: Thanks again!!!

UPDATE: I can easily change the device names and it doesn’t break anything. Looks like the set up is a one-time event and does not require any ties to the initial installation. However, DON’T run the SmartApp again as it will create duplicates. However, they all seem to work :slight_smile:

Very cool. I could see how renaming could screw with the Smartapp being able to keep track of the zone/program children when doing setup again, but I’ve never tried it. I can mess around with that and see what I can figure out. Otherwise, it would be simple enough to add in another option in the setup where you can choose the prefix for all the zones and programs and shorten it if you want.

After updating to the latest code and specifying port 18080 everything installed fine, and is working great. Thanks for all of your hard work on this great SmartApp.

Last night when my sprinklers went off I got the push notification when each zone completed. Would it be possible to only receive one notification for a watering program, and not each individual zone?

Also, when the watering program, and each zone, became active SHM detected it as an intruder. I looked into the SHM options and the rainmachine things do not appear as options for use.

1 Like

I just pushed out another update. Changes below:

• Added new separate option to receive push notifications for when programs are done (didn’t test this, let me know if it doesn’t work)
  • Shortened device name prefixes to either “RM Pgm” or “RM Zone”
  • Added default setup values to IP (192.168.1.0) and Password (admin). Hopefully this saves some tedious typing.

This I’m really not sure about because I don’t use SHM. I’m guessing this is happening because you have the “Use every open/close and motion sensor” checked in the SHM setup? Technically the zones and programs are set up with the Contact sensor capability, which go to “open” whenever the sprinklers turn on.

On the other hand, it may not make any difference if I just change that capability over to be “switch” instead of contact sensor. I can look into that.

I will change my SHM setup and select only the door/window contact sensors and report back with what happens when I trigger a sprinkler zone.

@brbeaird - Thanks. Anyone know if this works with the mini-8. It has never been able to login (with or without port forwarding).

Thanks

Never mind :slight_smile: Port 18080 does the trick on the Mini-8. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I have played with it for the last couple weeks and everything seems to be working properly except for the program completion notifications.

I also played around with the SHM settings, and with the ‘use all contact sensors’ setting off the sprinkler zones do not set off an intruder alert.

You should have said something sooner, lol. I took a quick look at the code and instantly saw my mistake (that’s what I get for not testing it). If you pull down the most recent device handler from my code, the program notifications should work for you now. I actually tested this time. :slight_smile:

That’s good to know. I tried toying around with using a device capability other than ‘contact sensor’ but that ended up breaking a bunch of other stuff, so I tabled it for now. Might look at it later. Glad to hear things are working well otherwise.

With all the platform issues I wanted to give it some time to settle down to make sure it wasn’t SmartThings related. My sprinklers should run tomorrow night, I will update and report back.

1 Like

Can confirm working on the mini-8. Port is 18080. Thanks for the work on this.

1 Like

Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you very much for your time and effort. I selected RM over Spruce because Spruce has had delivery and back-order issues for many months. Also although I am very heavily invested in ST, I am not a fan of their developers and the platform as a whole has been very unreliable. So I divested my home automation but chose mostly Zwave and Zigby appliances in case a better alternative to ST comes along. You have filled the gap for me for the irrigation end for now and I very much appreciate it. Again, Many Thanks!

1 Like

Can you confirm what version you are running. I can’t get past the first next button after filling in the ip address and port and password. THe next page just comes up blank. Firewall ports are open. I am running version 4.0.712 Anyone get it working on this version. Mini-8

That is the firmware version I am using too. Are you using the internal ip or external?

I am setting up using my DDNS external. I will try the internal. I figured it was a cloud app.