[OBSOLETE] RainMachine

Something is still off. With the newest SmartApp update, you should see a cron expression that looks like 37 */59 * * * ?

Can you open up the SmartApp code in your IDE and tell me what you see on line 727? It should look like this:

Also - make sure you don’t forget to publish the app after updating from github.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Line 727:

schedule(“37 */” + pollFreq + " * * * ?", scheduledRefresh )

Thanks for checking on the publish - I updated/published and confirmed matching code local/github.

Mysterious things, eh? Thanks for trying to sort it out.

Bingo! Decided to delete and re-update/publish, and no save error!

Thank you!

1 Like

Yay! I did add a donate button on the Github repo site if you’re so inclined :slight_smile:

I am inclined, beer money coming.

Donation sent…happy holidays, and thanks for the Rain Machine integration!

1 Like

I was able to get the mini 8 setup but when I ran the zone from the RM app o didn’t get a push notification even though I toggled the push notification.

But if you don’t add the repo then you can’t get auto updates right?

Did you rename the zone by chance? I need to improve this, but sadly the way it figures out whether or not to push or not depends on it still having “zone” in the device name. I noticed my own push notifications stopped recently, and I suspect that’s the reason. Planning to look at that soon.[quote=“BBoy486, post:189, topic:8343”]
But if you don’t add the repo then you can’t get auto updates right?
[/quote]

Even if you do add the repo, the updates aren’t automatic I don’t believe - you still have to go in periodically and click “Update from Repo” and then select the RainMachine code.

I did not rename is zone. I just pulled in all the zones and schedules. So it was a fresh install. My Zone do have Zone in the title ex. Herb Garden: Zone 1.

If I just set a reminder for every week to update my repos it will accomplish the update without me having to always come back to all of the threads that I am using right?

Probably a bug then. I’ll look at it in the next week or so when I get some time.

As for the repo, you can certainly keep checking back to see if anything changed, but honestly the code is pretty stable at this point and doesn’t change very often. I’d say login every couple months or so and just see if it shows your code is up to date.

1 Like

@copyninja

Do you know why RM would not be reporting when I run a zone from the RM app vs running the Zone via ST?

I just tested it and I started the zone in he RM app and switched to ST and the zone was inactive. But if I start from ST and switch to RM is is active.

I was going to setup some CoRE but noticed this issue.

@BBoy486 What polling interval did you choose during setup? If it’s polling every 5 minutes, there could be up to a 5 minute delay before you see a zone running in ST that was initiated from the Rainmachine app itself. I usually set mine to poll every 2 minutes for that reason.

That makes sense. I had 3 minutes but only tested for 2!

Cool. I haven’t forgotten about fixing the push notifications - just haven’t had a chance to work on it yet.

1 Like

No problem I set them up in CoRE

@brbeaird, I am seeing the zones are not refreshing and ST is communicating with RM. I removed the devices, re-configured everything. It worked for a day and stopped again. Any suggestions ? I renamed the zones. if that matters.

Renaming the zones may have killed it. I haven’t had a chance to really test that out and make sure renaming doesn’t affect it. I will be looking at this app again pretty soon, but I haven’t been super motivated with the weather being freezing the last few days. First thing I’d try is seeing if it works without renaming the zones. Other possibility is the scheduler is dying - you should be able to see the scheduled job in the IDE if you go to your hub/smartapps/Rainmachine.

It’s been 85-95 degrees in SoCal the last few days and my RainMachine is having to go at it again. :grin: At least with all the rain we got this winter, I think we’re out of our severe drought situation.

Started looking at this again today and got my Rainmachine ready for some testing to try and debug some of this. Will let you know if I find anything.

Happy springtime, everyone! As watering season approaches (or is already here for some), I’ve pushed out an update. Here are the changes:

• Added new option to setup called “Name Re-Sync”. When selected, this causes your program/zone devices in SmartThings to have their names refreshed from your RainMachine controller whenever you complete the setup process.

• Zone/program devices are now created without the “RM” prefix - they are brought in named exactly the same as whatever they’re named in the Rainmachine controller. This makes things easier in case you want to be able to turn them on/off with Alexa without needing to rename them to something she can recognize when you say it.

• Fixed issue where push notifications failed to send if zones/programs were renamed. In general, I’ve now confirmed that renaming zones/programs should not affect any functionality.

• The Rainmachine setup proces now ends with a summary page which will let you know whether or not device creation was successful.

• Added version checking - a message will appear on the new summary page if your SmartApp or Device Handler code does not match the latest version in GitHub.

• Fixed issues where zone/program tiles in the ST mobile app wouldn’t instantly reflect active/inactive changes.

• Added support for Zone/Program devices to show in ActionTiles. You can now add them as either switches or valves.

@Jimxenus - give the new code a shot and see if things work better for you. I’ve been running mine for the last day or so, and things are still working well.

1 Like