[OBSOLETE] Professional smart home monitoring for security and smoke alarms with Noonlight

@JDRoberts You’re absolutely right. This depends on internet access and the SmartThings cloud to work. So does Konnected and all other custom SmartApps and Device Handlers.

All security systems have vulnerabilities and weak points. There are good ways to mitigate power failures and internet outages, but nothing is 100% fail proof.

1 Like

@heythisisnate there was a thread created by @SGrayban in the hubitat forum stating that it would soon be possible to have this monitoring feature available with a hubitat hub.

It appears as though that thread has since been deleted entirely (I posted in it at one point), and @SGrayban has been suspended from that forum til 8/27.

But in other (unrelated) threads he was publicly attacking one of the lead staff, so it’s hard to say whether the suspension and the Noonlight thread being deleted are related.

Can you comment on a forthcoming Hubitat integration? Thanks!

We are working on a Hubitat integration for Konnected and Noonlight, yes!

2 Likes

OMG, yes, +1 for the Hubitat integration!!!

Is there a way to manually add my street address for Noonlight? My SmartThings location is as precise as I can get it, but Google does not have all of the houses on my street accurately listed, so it is impossible to have the reverse geocoder get my street address right. I do not want Noonlight sending police to one of my neighbors if there is an emergency!

Not at this time but I will be adding this in a future update. It’s been requested a few times.

3 Likes

Hello @heythisisnate

So - I have old alarm system - was thinking of getting Konnected but by now

• I have a ton of wireless sensors
  • most of the wired window sensors are gone when we replaced windows
  • the old wired motion sensors are huge and clunky and I’m probably going to throw out
    so it doesn’t quite make sense to get Konnected just for the one or two door remaining sensors I might like to use.

My question, though - would installing Konnected enable me to “expose” all my SmartThings sensors to Noonlight? That might be a worthwhile use case for me. (and yes, I’d be able to use the couple of remaining built-in door sensors I have left from old system).

Thanks!
Alec

You don’t need Konnected to expose your sensors to Noonlight. It works for any SmartThings sensors already. Just install the Noonlight SmartApp and DH.

1 Like

Thanks, Nate! And although it doesn’t fit my current use case - you obviously have a great product!

1 Like

Can I have 3 phones connected to Noonlight that is monitoring my house? I don’t have it yet but would like to know before buying.

1 Like

Noonlight is a horrible service. Where is the contact number for noonight support - there isn’t one. The only way you can contact them is via a chat app on their web site (which doesn’t ever seem to be manned, it always says “we’ll be back”, or you can send them an email.

For security monitoring of my house, I want a real live person that I can talk to when there is a problem - for example - police showed to my house this afternoon, because of a “panic button” being tripped (we don’t have one) and we quit the noonlight service 2 weeks ago. No phone call was made to my house, to my cell, to my wife’s cell - no email was sent, no text message…but they sent the police.

Their monitoring is cheap, but without a way to contact these people immediately? Hopefully the police aren’t summoned again unnecessarily. I certainly don’t want them being called over and over again for nothing .

Unfortunately, you can’t expect much for only $10/month; though as they grow, their quality will hopefully improve.

Ring is also in a similar price range. I wonder what their quality is like… :thinking:

These companies are linking platforms of questionable reliability (SmartThings with no cellular backup - unless you DIY with extra router failover and battery backup etc., etc.) directly to local services, with no professional installation, at “rock bottom” pricing. That’s a risky recipe. Not impossible to execute, but, undeniably difficult to do well.

Hi all,
I have Noonlight with Konnect.IO alarm panels.
In the past two weeks, I’ve had two incidents where SmartThings triggered the noonlight virtual alarm switch.

• Home monitoring was off
  • None of the monitored sensors show tripped
  • The Noonlight virtual switch is the only thing that appears to activate.
    Have you guys seen this?

Are your alerts based in any way on presence?

I believe there have been two hub firmware updates recently, and these will take your hub off-line briefly. When it restarts your presence can be out of sync.

Unfortunately, as customers we are not given any way to defer or deny this kind of service loss, although they do try to give some advance notice.

Nope. No use of Presence.

The weird thing is no sensor tripped, no presence change happened.
Logs don’t show a reboot or reconnection of the hub.

It does show a light switch flipping on at the same time that the NoonLight virtual switch tripped.
But the light wasn’t actually on, so while the logs show the switch was turned on, it wasn’t actually turned on.
Puzzling.

1 Like

This may not be relevant, but multiple people are reporting weird sensor events over that same time frame:

That’s a really interesting post. It does sound similar to what I am seeing.

Thanks so much for finding that post for me!

1 Like

Do you have Google Assistant integrated as well?
Google may think that “Noonlight” is a light switch. If you say “hey Google, turn on all the lights” that may trigger Noonlight to be turned on. Workaround is to exclude this switch from the ST <> Google integration.

1 Like

Hey Nate -
I did this one! I had google assistant integrated with all Smartthings devices allowed to be accessed from Google Assistant. I accidently tripped the alarm by having Google switch on the noonlight switch. I subsequently blocked the noonlight virtual switch from Google.

So it’s not that. It’s strange that two switches (a light switch and the noonlight virtual switch) both flipped on at 6:01AM. No other sensors or devices were active at that time.

1 Like

Hey Nate,
So I missed that the google Home integration changed. In the first version of the integration, you could select what devices Google could access. They upgraded and dropped that feature. Now google sees everything, including the NoonLight virtual switch.
I now suspect that Google switched the NoonLight alarm switch on as you suggested, since it’s no longer blocked from the integration.
Got any clever ideas for protecting the Noonlight virtual switch? I only want the home monitor to be able to switch it on.