[OBSOLETE] PlexPlus - Control Lighting with Plex Play Status

Ive updated the features in the first post…

Can determine room/ player using either device name, IP address or user who is playing the content, and you can setup as many rooms as you want :smile:

I have static IPs as I have two TVs that show the same name, but if names are unique that’s less effort to setup…

Having some issues, I found one but not sure how to solve it. I have Secure Connections required so I get the error that it cannot establish a (TLS/SSL) secure connection so it fails.

In testing I changed it to Never and it connected but then I get XML error about not having a Reference Object.

This is the exact Error: Failed to parse xml from Plex: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Is there a way to not require secure connection on just logging? I tried googling but couldn’t find a specific setting.

And Couldn’t find the next step to resolve the Obj Reference Error

could you PM me your log file? I suspect you are missing the ID in section 2F? Take a look and if you are still unsure send me over the config file…

Hey Jake,

So new to the forums and cannot for the life of me figure out how to send a PM… lol this has never happened before… and I am sure once I post this I will figure it out. Also which log files are you looking for? From Plex or somewhere else? Just let me know, I will continue to look for the PM

EDIT: So because the account is so new I cannot send PM.

Sorry, I meant the config.config file, just want to check the settings you have used… I’ll take a look in a few hours when I get home…

I’ll drop you a PM now… you should be able to respond to that :slight_smile:

Just installed this, got the api bits in my config, launch the program on windows and get:

Failed to SendGetRequest: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

Plex is running, searched here and didn’t see the unauthorized error mentioned by anyone else. Thoughts?

Edit: going to the same url in the config file via chrome gives me the same response.

Feel free to PM me your config file and I’ll take a look… please let me know your IDE URL… sounds like a config file issue, but not seen that exact issue

Have updated the first post to say that “The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.” is because the Plex Token needs to be added to the Plex URL…

1 Like

Hello!

I downloaded the smartapp today and have the Plex2Smartthings.exe running on my server. I have configured the API token and ID. I also configured the X-Token from my Plex setup. It appears that the smartapp and .exe are talking and that events are registering. However, the lights never change. When I enable debug logging, I see this:

6:27:21 PM: debug PlexPlus [Basement] >> No match found for room 6:27:21 PM: debug PlexPlus [Basement] >> JAKE 6:27:21 PM: debug PlexPlus [PARENT] >> Command Recieved

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi John,

What have you got in the field “Player name, User or IP” under your Room “Basement”

And what have you got under the Last Event tab on the main page?

These are also case sensitive…

By the way if you still can’t work it out, take the latest version of the code from GitHub (I’ve just updated) open the Smart App with a Live Logging window open, and go in to the room and hit Done…

You should get something starting with this and about 8 more lines:

PlexPlus [Bedroom] >> App settings: [bTreatTrailersAsPause1:false…

If you can share that, I can probably tell you what’s wrong… but you are right the exe appears to be working fine :slight_smile:

Jake,

Thanks for the replY. I think you nailed it. I didn’t realize I needed to put the Player. Instead, for the IP, I typed the static IP of my server. Silly me for not reading correctly! I am changing it to the player info and will test it out. I’ll let you know!

No worries, as it is now built to handle a lot of different scenarios and requirements it has ended up getting quite complex so easy to get confused :slight_smile:

Just confirming that did the trick! It’s working great now! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

I just installed Plex Manager. The author suggested I also install PlexPlus. I followed the instructions and am going to install.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but You want the server IP but then I can only pick 1 ST Media Player Device at a time? My thought was any time any 1 or several plex players are running and the phone rings pause Plex for example.

I’m the author of PlexPlus, Tom (iBeech) is the author of Plex Manager, be I frequent both threads :slight_smile:

You can ignore the IP address etc… If you go down to “ST Media Player Device” on the same page and you can just add the device you created in Plex Manager in this field…

IP etc is used if you use the Plex2Smartthings exe to generate the events…

1 Like

So can I have Alexa through ST launch a movie on Plex? Or pause a movie?

I don’t believe that there is any integration created to launch a movie, I just don’t believe this is possible in ST yet, although I don’t think it would be impossible, however there are other projects outside of ST that I believe can!

In terms of controlling play/pause/stop, you would probably need to use ask Alexa to trigger a piston in CoRE unless multimedia control is supported in Ask Alexa (I suspect that the dev may add it if requested) Plex plus is for actioning based on Plex state not for controlling Plex, Plex HT manager does the control side of things and doesn’t currently have Alexa support…

I have Core on my list to learn.

In this instance it should be very easy, you just need to create a ‘Do’ piston and then select a media player and an action, repeat for each play pause stop action per device.

However some good news, doesn’t look like you need to do this… if you add the device as a music player in Ask Alexa then this provides the control.

Just to be clear as well, normal Alexa doesn’t support this device type, this is why you would need to do it via Ask Alexa.