[OBSOLETE] PlexPlus - Control Lighting with Plex Play Status

I’m the author of PlexPlus, Tom (iBeech) is the author of Plex Manager, be I frequent both threads :slight_smile:

You can ignore the IP address etc… If you go down to “ST Media Player Device” on the same page and you can just add the device you created in Plex Manager in this field…

IP etc is used if you use the Plex2Smartthings exe to generate the events…

1 Like

So can I have Alexa through ST launch a movie on Plex? Or pause a movie?

I don’t believe that there is any integration created to launch a movie, I just don’t believe this is possible in ST yet, although I don’t think it would be impossible, however there are other projects outside of ST that I believe can!

In terms of controlling play/pause/stop, you would probably need to use ask Alexa to trigger a piston in CoRE unless multimedia control is supported in Ask Alexa (I suspect that the dev may add it if requested) Plex plus is for actioning based on Plex state not for controlling Plex, Plex HT manager does the control side of things and doesn’t currently have Alexa support…

I have Core on my list to learn.

In this instance it should be very easy, you just need to create a ‘Do’ piston and then select a media player and an action, repeat for each play pause stop action per device.

However some good news, doesn’t look like you need to do this… if you add the device as a music player in Ask Alexa then this provides the control.

Just to be clear as well, normal Alexa doesn’t support this device type, this is why you would need to do it via Ask Alexa.

I am sorry, I am stuck here. I have the App ID and Access token (using the SmartApp Method) however I am not seeing Additional Requirements or where to enter the IDs to complete this step.

It’s the very next step in the guide after the bit you quoted?

But arent you using Plex Manager for polling? Or are you now using the exe? You only need to configure this if configuring the exe (a seperate application that needs to run on a computer)

That was what i wasn’t following. So if I am only using the app via ST I do not need the OAuth step?

Correct as I said in my earlier post you just need to add the media player device below the IP address box :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

I set up a room so that when I pause it turns the light in that room back on. I used this as a monetary option. However the input is slow to run the command and turns the light on and off within a sec I stead of leaving it on when paused and off when play.

The delay is likely to be caused because you are using the Plex Manager, this polls every 10 seconds for a change of state, so it could be up to 10 seconds before anything happens… the only way to avoid this is to adjust the polling in Plex Manager (not advised) or if you are running Plex server on a computer then move to the EXE approach above…

For the momentary option, I think you are using it incorrectly? This is meant for instances where scenes are triggered via a switch, momentary switches by their very design only go on briefly then back off, as they a momentary… if you just want to turn lights on then move the lights to either “Switches off when playing” which by default turn on when paused… or “adjust level of these bulbs”/“Adjust level and color of these bulbs” and specify the “Level On Pause”

However sounds like you may already have the pause value set, which is why you are seeting them come on then shortly after go off :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Pulling this in via the github integration.

Lower case was created successfully but the upper case failed (no given error):

smartapps/jebbett/PlexPlus.src/PlexPlus.groovy

Is the lower case one (plexplus.src/plexplus.groovy) the right one to use here?

Yeah use the lowercase only, when I saved initially it was in uppercase which was incorrect as ST pushes updates in lowercase and the whole thing gets confused :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Yes this is very helpful thank you for explaining momentary states. One question I have a WeMo switch that turns on the sub so essentially onice Plex starts I want to turn on The WeMo switch but I do not want to turn off when it’s paused. I know you don’t have a stop command but essentially I want to leave the sub i.e. the WeMo switch on unless Plex is stopped. Is this possible?

1 Like

Assuming you are controlling your bulbs state using the bulb % settings and not switch settings, then just put it in as a switch and turn on “Switches use Play config when Paused”.

That should do the job :slight_smile:

If for whatever reason you need to keep that setting then the other option is to create another room with the same trigger, but different settings… the apps designed to be fairly flexible :smile:

Oh no, i cant because the bulbs i am using is a switch not a bulb (it is a fan). So i have to use the switch option.

That’s fine so just create another “room” as per my second suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just another hint as well, I’d put a long stop delay on the sub to stop it turning off then on between TV episodes or queued films

Updated Plex Plus to support Plex Webhooks (Plex Pass Only)

This allows Plex to directly send status updates to SmartThings, this bypasses the need for the Plex2SmartThings program.

Update your Plex server first!

App now at V3.1

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002267687-Webhooks

1 Like