[OBSOLETE] Plex Home Theatre Manager SmartApp

Somebody reminded me that I didn’t update the standard colors in another DTH so I updated them here as well.

anyone get this working with NVidia shield?

I don’t own one… so can’t really help, however the shield is Android I believe and I think on the Android app there may be an option to allow remote control in the settings… not saying this will fix your issue, but might help…

I have a roku streaming stick. If i control plex with the ST smartapp everything works great. But if I use the remote to play/pause the status doesnt update on the smartapp. Tried leaving it for a while but it doesnt appear to pick up the current status from the Plex client. Ive set up with webcore to have the lights dim down on play, and then come back on with pause. Using the smartapp or google assistant through IFTTT works as a I want, but cant figure out what its not picking up the current status when I use the roku remote. Any tips?

Hi which version of the smart app are you using? are you using the original or the version posted by @ph4r and do you have a plex pass subscription and if so are you using webhooks? This should be the most reliable method now…

Using the original. installed the Plexplus smartapp also and that one does pick up the status. so running both of them gives me both control and status. not using any of the apps, just needed them to work so webcore can see what is going on. does the redone versjon you refereance add som more fuctionality or just compatability?

Ph4r’s version adds the webhook functionality from PlexPlus, along with many other improvements or the original Plex HT… you are better off using that rather than two separate apps…

thought the webhook function needed plex pass subscription to work? I do not have this subscription.

Ahh yes sorry didn’t realise, so are you using the Plex2SmartThings exe then to trigger? I don’t think that was ported over. Although I could potentially update the exe to mimic the webhook but I’ll need to learn how to send the data in the right format…

my setup is a roku streaming stick. looked into it and i am actually using the ibeech/ph4r devide handler plex home theater and plex manager smartapp. that gave me control of the plex running on the roku but no status info from the roku. after that i also installed the jebbett:plexplus app and that suddenly gave me status of playback and timeline. so now webcore works great for light control even when using the roku remote for play/pause operations. dont think its even a second of delay when i pause or play until the lights start changing. so everything works of smartthings hub without having to have a computer running.

@ph4r @iBeech First of all, thanks a lot. I spent the afternoon trying to setup, but it’s working. And that’s A-MA-ZING. :smiley: :smiley:

However, I had to remove this check:

//Check if IP on same range
if(plexServerIPShort == address.substring(0 , address.lastIndexOf("."))){
}

I do have a peculiar setup (remote server / non-default port / Rasplex on Local network).

But my question is: What was the rationale behind this check?

Can we just remove it? Or is there a reason it’s there?

Thanks again.
Florian Kempenich

1 Like

Just adding Plex Plus shouldn’t magically fix anything, I wrote it :slight_smile: but glad it’s working for you however it’s working!

I actually added that bit of code in, there are some instances where a device reports both lan and wan IP, this is just to filer that out… assuming your devices only report a single IP then you’ll have no issues… otherwise you’ll need to update the code to deal with your subnet…

1 Like

Don’t we all deserve a little bit of magic in our lives? :joy:
ofc now im curious(prolly gonna regret touching anything and make it not work again lol).
when i first installed the handler and smartapp on top of this thread, i could send commands but got nothing back. had both the plex manager and plex client logs open in IDE, and nothing other than commands sent to the plex came up. then when I installed the plex plus app, suddely the log files cam alive with status entries on both of them. and the only thing i changed was installing plex plus. but if that sounds like magic, something else must have changed.

1 Like

follow up, got curious and had to do some testing. Removed plex plus again, and everything is still working as before. that leaves me completely clueless as to why statuses was not working at all before i installed it. maybe it just had to be installed at some point for the magic to work?:rofl:

1 Like

am I missing how to get the webhooks url? I watch the logs it sees my 9 child devices their subrcription status but I do not ever see a url generated to populate in the plex web app for the webhook integration.

You should just need to open logging, then open the smart app press done to save and close the smart app and it should appear…

ok got the url added to plex webhooks am I suppose to change any thing in the client settings to be able to use this app? It is not updating with status or working when I use the functions in the devices it created.

Sorry I’m not actively using this app as I don’t use the control side of things and have my own for reporting…

But I believe from memory that if you go in to the device settings you can then select the subscription type and the control type…

The main problem is that there isn’t a standard for Plex and different players have used different approaches, so in a lot of cases it’s try each and see what happens unfortunately…

If that doesn’t work then I would tag in ph4r who should be able to assist :slight_smile:

Hi Guys.

I have installed the app and connected to my RasPlex. I see the device in ST but it shows playing even when nothing is playing. Also if something is plating then I can’t stop or pause it. Its like to commands and not working at all.