This is a SmartApp which allows you to view the state of, and if your client supports HTTP control, control playback / volume of your devices. Some Plex clients do not allow control over HTTP (such as Xbox One / PS). You need to go into the Plex clients settings and enable the ‘HTTP control’ feature.
I personally use a Raspberry Pi with RasPlex; This distro is fast / compact and works with HTTP control. I highly recommend it.
Simply knowing the state of your Plex devices in SmarThings lets other SmartApps react to that information… Good examples are: ‘Someone is at the door, pause playback’, or ‘Plex is playing, dim the living room lights’. (e.g. see Rule Machine)
- Added. Support for Xbox One, Viewing status only, actions do not work as the Xbox One app does not support HTTP control.
- Added: New option in SmartApp for selecting specific clients. We will only install devices for those which you select. Items which were previously installed which you unselect will be unsubscribed (so you can manually delete) but we will not delete the device (it may be registered with other SmartApps). If you have used Plex Manager before this update, the client selection page may not have your clients selected, just select them and continue. Thanks @toliver182
- Added: New multi attribute tile which is much more attractive (thanks @tonesto7)
- Change: Changed the method used for discovering players. It is more reliable, and your player does not have to be active.
- Fix: Stop button now stops playback, rather than toggling play/pause
- Fix: Updated authentication with Plex to support complex passwords. Thanks to @btk
Fixed issue where when movies are playing there is no feedback in the device
- Channel playback does not register in the Plex device type
- Uninstalling can throw an error stating that the app has subscriptions to devices (see my post below for uninstalling
- Volume state is not initially set
Firstly, make sure that you have the Plex Server setup (www.plex.tv) and at least one client (I have only tested with RasPlex, but this has been confirmed to work with other devices which support HTTP control)
Install the device type and SmartApp. Instructions are found at the top of the code:
Install the Plex Manager SmartApp in SmartThings
- Goto your mobile device and open SmartThings
- Got the Marketplace tab at the bottom
- Tap SmartApps’
- Scroll to the bottom and tap My Apps’
- Tap ‘Plex Manager’
- Fill in the details that have been requested and click ‘Next’
- Pick the clients you want to add to SmartThings and hit ‘Done’
- Tap ‘Done’ and go back to ‘Things’, whrere you will see your Plex devices there
- If you ever have another device you want to add, just open up the SmartApp, and pick the device from the list and hit ‘Done’
If you are having any problems, please uninstall the SmartApp, goto the IDE (where you installed the devicetype and SmartApp code) and click the ‘Logs’ button. Reinstall the SmartApp via your mobile phone and post the logs here for me. Please ensure you check the logs for your username and password before posting!