[OBSOLETE] OSRAM Lightify Smart Dimmer Switch (button controller device handler and smart app)

Sorry all but it has been a busy day, give me some time to try and replicate the issue and I will let you know what I find. I have not hooked up my second switch yet as I am finishing some remodeling but I will get a second switch setup soon and see if there is some issue when there is more than 1 switch or something.

Just to confirm, you do have the smartapp installed a second time and setup to control a set of lights right? Without that you may not see any events. I don’t see anything in your “In Use By” field so it doesn’t seem you have a smartapp associated with the new switch but not sure if that is the issue.

I still don’t have any apps on the second switch on purpose. Just wanted to test.

Another issue, is that for the first switch I am seeing the events for button pressed, but my automation does not execute. I tried rule machine and lighting automation, neither of those works.

I added my second switch and I can see in the live logging that the commands for the second switch are not being accepted and the button presses for the initial switch I setup is showing in the logs for both switches. I will do some research on that and I am sure I will be able to come up with a fix, likely just not using an unique device number or something somewhere in the code. My guess is this is what is tripping up automation rules as well.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply

I installed 1 copy of the device handler and when I add the switches they properly pick that up

I then went to the smartapp through the web interface and installed it for each switch with the appropriate lights and switch selected and clicked the install button each time. That is how you do it right?

I also tried the smartthings button controller on the working one and the non working ones. Nothing from that either.

Just wanted to give my feedback as well.

Thanks again so much for all the hard work!

1 Like

I have updated the device type with a fix for the multiple switch issue, please give it a try and let me know if you see any issues. I was able to get multiple switches hooked up and they now report properly in the IDE logs. I was also able to setup my smart app to assign each switch to a separate group of bulbs and all 4 functions work.

2 Likes

I am testing it…

Will keep you posted.

I am basically seeing the same thing.
The new switch is still not defining any states and it does not show anything in the live logging window.

Did you reset and re-pair your devices? And just to confirm you have updated and published the new device type code right? I am seeing no issues and I did find the issue that was causing the problem.

No, how do I re-pair the devices?

Do I need to delete both devices? The old and the new?

I would go into the IDE and delete the devices and then on the switch hold both buttons down at the same tim until you see the light flash blue, then you can set your hub to pairing mode and it will re-pair those switches. I would remove all of them but then add them back 1 at a time, the code was not assigning a proper device ID previously which is why it got confused with multiple devices.

Good news.
So I delete them both, the old and the new.
I added the new and now I am not seeing events coming from the new.
I will setup automation for the new switch, see if that works, then add the old back again.

Hmm, I am seeing the same behavior as before, the Lighthing automation is not working. I see the rules in the Live Logging but they don’t actually turn on or off the device I set in the rules.

Am I now going to try to add the old switch back.

I cannot guarantee at the moment that the device type will work for the lighting automation. Can you see if using my smart app allows to to use the switch with specific devices? When I get some time I can look into seeing if I can make it work for other smart apps.

I added the second switch, I am now seeing events from both of them. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am not seeing that lighting rules are working.

Can you share the link to your app?

Found it: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/motley74/SmartThingsPublic/fb67d779121e880294528432e6d391f983fdc81e/smartapps/motley74/osram-lightify-dimming-switch-binder.src/osram-lightify-dimming-switch-binder.groovy

My app is linked on the first post, you will need to add the app and publish via IDE and then in the phone app you will need to install the app for each switch you have.

Eureka, both switches are working with the binder app. Wife is now happy :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Oscar

1 Like

Uhhhhh, that’s a bit of a problem. Are you saying that if you use, say, Rule Machine, you can only have one functional switch? If true, are you actively working to fix that? A lot of us use that app almost exclusively now, so lack of general support is a real problem.

You should be able to use multiple switches with no issue now. What I am saying is that I cannot guarantee the device type will work with other smart apps like Rule Machine since I have not tested that and did not target that as the initial release. For now my smart app allows you to configure the switch to control a specific group of switches/lights, honestly I am not sure why you would use Rule Machine or something similar with this type of device, the device is meant to allow manual control of lights that you have already automated using other methods. In other words you can have a Rule Machine rule to control when lights turn on/off automatically but then also use this switch for manual control of the light when needed (especially for guests). I have not tested being able to activate a rule or other smart app functions based on key presses since that is not what my intention was, that is not to say that I would not consider adding that in the future but I cannot say what the priority is.