RELEASE: OSRAM Lightify Smart Dimmer Switch (button controller device handler and smart app)

I see, thanks for clarifying. Frustrating that these “standards” only standardize things part of the way.

I wonder if someone at centralite might be more willing to help, since it’s their device.

I believe the OP has already talked to Centralite. They generally don’t work directly with individual consumers, because they don’t sell it at retail. They are a manufacturer that sells to other companies to use their products under the other company’s brand. They expect those companies to handle the customer service. And quite often the other company adds a software layer, meaning Centralite couldn’t answer the questions anyway.

In this case, it appears that the device works fine with the Osram lightify Gateway, and that’s how it’s labeled to work. We’ve been trying to get it to work with SmartThings, but since SmartThings doesn’t have it on the official compatibility list, their support likely won’t be able to help, either.

It’s quite possible that eventually SmartThings will want to add it officially, at which point their engineers will talk to the Osram engineers and they’ll work out whatever they need to work out while keeping The information under NDA if required. We’re just trying to jump the gun for now. Sometimes the community succeeds In that, sometimes it doesn’t. :sunglasses:

It would be great if ST would add this centralite device as one of their own, like they have with other ST-branded Zigbee devices. The fact that this thing fits over a wall switch has a huge advantage as the WAF goes. I have a fixture with several GE link bulbs and use a minimote but that wall switch is just too tempting for some in the family to ignore.

3 Likes

I believe @tslagle13, @Slagle mentioned in another post that they intend to support Osram later this year - at least for Europe that is but I cant find his post anymore … I am struggling with the switches as well … but dont have the time to torubleshoot at the moment - so will have to wait … but I didnt even get the button press messages but some others I cant remember due to jet lag …

For those following this thread I wanted to let you know that I got an email from OSRAM today and the engineer said that he cannot provide “official” support for the device handler for ST but he was willing to take a look and see if he had any ideas as to what the issue could be. I will keep you all posted as I get more information and hopefully make further progress on this device handler.

3 Likes

Still no reply from the OSRAM engineer that contacted me but I plan to ping him/her again this coming week.

That said I wanted to mention that I have purchased a different switch that has a similar form facter (covers an existing switch) and @ajpri has written a device handler to work with that switch. It does not have the issue I am having with this switch right now so until I can get the OSRAM dimming switch working properly I will be using the other one and wanted to let everyone know about the alternative. The other device handler does not currently support dimming functions but I am hopeful that @ajpri along with the rest of the community will be able to resolve that. For those that are interested I am posting a few pics below of the 2 switches installed so that everyone can compare them.

One of the things I will mention is that the OSRAM switch has 3 pieces, one that is attached to the faceplate, the actual switch/radio assembly that fits into the base, and the cover that snaps over the assembly. It is designed to fit over an existing faceplate (even looks good and fits on slim faceplates) but also has a desktop base with rubber pads that you can put the switch assembly in and put the cover on for a mobile switch. Below are picks of the switch installed on an existing switch as well as one showing it in the mobile base.

The Linear (GoControl) WA00Z1 switch at the thread below is slightly different and better in some ways but in the end I like the look of the OSRAM switch better. Two things I will note about the Linear (GoControl) switch; first is that it has dual batteries (not sure if that means they will last longer or not), second is that it comes with a larger cover that can be used to completely cover a single gang faceplate as well as the slim cover pictured to use on dual/triple gang faceplates. Below are pics of that switch installed over the same switch as above.

2 Likes

Fantastic find!! I’ll have to try this out now!

Good news, I received an update from the OSRAM engineer I have been working with and we are making progress on this. We have gotten past the issue with the buttons not responding after a short press, I will have more details once I analyze the differences between the working code and non-working code and will update the Github site with the most recent code once I clean it up a little and validate that everything is still working as intended. I expect a working copy of the code to be published by the end of the weekend.

4 Likes

That is fantastic news! This really does an entire growing community a great benefit. You deserve a YUGE thank-you. I’ll be buying a few of these now.

Sweet! I can use my 8 switches hopefully soon. It will be nice to have everything on one system again!!! Thanks so much for staying on this issue! Guess I shall order some more. For those of us without neutral wires this seems to be the best solution.

I have updated the device handler as well as the smart app with versions that are working for the 4 actions (2 buttons, pressed and held events). I have tested the device type with the smart app that I created which allows you to set a percentage for the up and down held actions so that you can at least have on/off and 2 specific brightness levels (for example, I use 70 for the button 1 hold and 30 for the button 2 hold). I believe the Button Controller smart app will also work with the device type but I have not tested that.

Please let me know if any issues are encountered and I will look into it. I will update the original post with the GitHub link for the smart app so that they are both in the same place and people don’t have to search the thread for both links. Should I create a separate thread for the smart app? Not sure what the best practice is there.

3 Likes

Great work!

As far as which threads, In the past if a new smart app is created primarily to enable a specific device handler, I think people tend to just put both in the device handler release thread. Probably because people getting the new device will tend to start with the device handler anyway. But it’s up to you, people have done it both ways. :sunglasses:

This is great news! I will try it out this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks very much for your efforts, which went well beyond those normally required to get a new DTH up and running, on this. Two switches on the way and should be delivered tomorrow. Hoping to make a step up in the WAF this weekend! :slight_smile:

Hmm I removed everything from lightify bulbs and switches. Bulbs turn off and on properly through the app and smartthings

Made sure to use the new device handler and app from the beginning of this post.

Everything seems created and published and switch added in properly. Not getting any events when I push the button though.

I just received some new switches from amazon. So I will try another one later tonight. Might just have a bum switch. But need to run some errands.

Let me know if I can help. Did you install the smart app and use it to set which lights to control?

Ok some good news.

New switch and it appears to be working. I removed that one from lightify. Maybe it didn’t reset ll the way or something.

3 bulbs in a ceiling and 1 can light bulb are turning on from the switch. And off

Question 1:
Is there a way to make them turn on and off in a group. Can kind of see them click on one after the other. I guess I need to read up on groups.
Question 2
Also any way to turn off the gradual off and on. So they just turn on full brightness and off full quickly?

I’ll mess some more. But didnt want to make you wait thinking there was an issue.

I may be able to add the gradual on/off feature as I learn more about how this all works, just not sure if the commands support that data and that would likely need to be specified differently based on if it is a zigbee or z-wave device you are controlling.

As far as the timing unfortunately that is just the lag in the ST system, when you select multiple devices in the smart app config that is basically a group but the ST hub processes each one separately so that can (and usually is) some delay between each bulb. You may be able to fix this by changing the smart bulbs out and adding a dimming capable relay in the wall/ceiling box that will control the entire fixture instead of separate bulbs. Monoprice.com is a good place to look for those devices.

The ramp up/ramp down is most likely a parameter in the switch settings. If it is possible to change that, you would do it by reconfiguring the device if you have a device handler capable of changing those Settings.

So first you need to figure out what those parameters are, and then the device handler would have to be updated to allow the changes.

If you’re controlling smart bulbs, it might be a separate parameter in the bulb settings as well. So then you have to look at the device handler for the bulb.

ok did a bunch more testing. I must be doing something really wrong.

Existing and brand new switches pair. They are automatically assigned your device profile.

Still,only one switch is working. The rest of them were setup the exact same way.

When I press buttons nothing happens, nor does it show in recently or the live log. If I refresh from the app. the switches respond in live log.

How I am seting up

I am adding the switch
going to my smartapps on the web picking your app
selecting home
the switch
lights
button 1& 2 levels
then install

It appears on the mobile app under the selected switch

but nothing happens. Hopefully I am doing something stupid.

The 1 switch continues to work fine. I even deleted your app from it, and readded it. Still works

Am I missing a step?

Any ideas?