[OBSOLETE] OSRAM Lightify Smart Dimmer Switch (button controller device handler and smart app)

The OSRAM Lightify Smart Dimmer Switch now works “natively” without custom Device Types or Handlers.

Recognizing the amazing work done by Adam, Michael, etc to create far more comprehensive utilization of these switches / buttons, I did want to clarify for anyone looking to use this device as a simple button controller - it works out of the box with ST. I felt obligated to post this clarification, because I, like so many others, just wanted a button controller that

a) Doesn’t require custom device types or handlers
b) Communicates with the ST Hub (Not directly to bulbs, etc)
b2) Giving me the ability to control or initiate any action, control any number of devices, etc using a SmartApp
c) Gives me 2+ “buttons” (This one has 4 when you use Button 1 and 2 along with long presses
d) Could look relatively normal installed on a wall (I would ABSOLUTELY prefer a main powered scene button controller that could be installed in a switch gangbox.

Other than the desire for a main powered device (like the Leviton VRCS4, which I believe still requires custom DTH), this switch did everything out of the box.

I pulled the battery tab; it connected to ST as a “ZigBee Button;” I gave it a name; It doesn’t show any buttons in the ST app when you pull up the device, but the 4 buttons are there - you can easily access them in any Smart App:

Example:
SmartApp - Automate Lights & Switches
What do you want to [control]?
What to you want it / them to do?
How do you want to trigger? --> "Button Pressed / Held"
Which Button --> Choose [Whatever you named the OSRAM Dimmer switch]
Button Number --> Choose 1 or 2
Button Action --> Choose “Pushed” or “Held”

It’s all there. You can use the 4 “buttons” to perform any action you want in ST - Close a garage door, turn on a bunch of lights, change the color of lights (scene setting), etc.

I’ve had no problems with the device at all. I have searched the boards relentlessly for a good (enough) button controller option beyond the handheld remote, and I just wanted to post this here to help anyone else with the same questions / desired application.

Now if anyone knows of a main powered option that would fit nicely in a switch housing and works as easily out of the box…

3 Likes