[RELEASE] Mode Change Actions - Open/Close Door/Window/Switch/Lock/Valve/Shade Notification and Actions on Mode Change

This Mode Based Actions app checks the status of devices on a hub Mode change, notifies you and even changes their state if they aren’t in a desired state

When the hub changes Mode, the app will check and notify you if the device (door/window/switch/lock/garage/valve/window shade etc) is open/closed, on/off etc and also change it’s state (turn on/off/open/close) for you.

This can also act like a backup for a failed/incomplete Routine execution

KEY FEATURES:

• Report and change state these types of devices (turn on/off, open/close etc) individually for each Mode
    • Doors/windows
    • Locks
    • Garage doors
    • Valves
    • Blinds/shades (with level setting)
  • Delayed checking to allow time for Routines to execute or devices to change state after the Mode changes
  • Custom messages and monitoring/actions for each Mode or single message for all Modes
    • Audio/spoken notifications (e.g. Alexa or Sonos)
    • Push notifications
    • SMS multiple numbers
  • Automatic push notification if there is an updated version of the SmartApp available

You can configure which devices to monitor for each mode separately and also configure notifications (push/sms) for each mode independently. You also have the option for a single notification setting for all modes with individual overrides.

This app also acts like a backup for Routines. If the routine times out while trying to lock doors or turn switches off etc, this app will notify the user and then attempt to complete the action.

So if you’re leaving the house or turning in the for the night, you would like to know if you accidentally left a door or window open. For example, when the Goodbye routine runs, it locks up the house and change the mode to Away. The app will notify you if there are any unlocked doors, open garage doors or open blinds etc at the very moment the mode changes to Away and, if possible, close them for you so you leave the house knowing that this app has your back!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

You can find step by step installation instructions here.

If you have any suggestions or feature requests please let us know.

Also check out the sister apps:

This app is available on the RBoy Apps Server .

Visit our website for more details and to get access to all our apps.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps: http://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps

© RBoy Apps

4 Likes

Can you throw in switches too, there was an app that Slagle wrote but I don’t remember its name. I know I used it a long time ago. This is great, I often find myself going in the app and looking for things left open or left on…

Switches as in notify if switches are left on? If so I purposely didn’t include that since if you can report a switch state that means you can also change it (correct me if I’m wrong here or missing a switch type which cannot be changed via ST but can be reported). Hence the idea behind this app was to notify things which have to be manually turned off/closed etc and cannot be done via ST.

Ok, but if I need to go into the app to look for switches that are still on, I would notice which windows/doors are open too. So I think, having one notification for everything saves a lot of time. A quick glance that everything is off, closed and locked is much better than scrolling through hundreds of items, in my opinion.

1 Like

Maybe I’m not understanding, why would you need to go into the app to look for which switches are on? You can just tell the routine to turn them off right? (something which isn’t possible with a door/window)

There are only so many switches you can add to a routine before it times out. So, no I cannot have one routine to turn them all off. Plus, some switches, like cameras should be on, and having a notification that they were actually turned on is a plus.

###Open Door/Window/Switch Notification on Mode Change - Version 1.1.0

• Added support for check and notify if switches are left On and an option to turn them Off
2 Likes

Question. All of the switching mode slots say “When switching to mode Away”. It appears that the app is only seeing the Away mode and none of the other modes. However, I tried to play in the simulator all modes are there. Am I doing something wrong here?

Yeah I’m seeing that in the latest Android ST app too, it’s working fine on iOS. Looks like ST broke their app again, they had fixed it earlier. See this

OK thanks. I am glad to hear that is not me but disappointed that ST has once again broken something that was working on the latest Android release. Hopefully on the next release they can fix it and I can give it a try.

Please report it to ST support or likely they won’t fix it.

1 Like

Reached out to ST Support and was told that they cannot help me because it is not a vetted app. I will wait for the next Android release and see if ST has fixed it but I am not holding my breath. Love the concept of that app!

1 Like

This is no longer the procedure for Developer issues, as far as I know.

i.e., Unless something is visible to a consumer in an approved & published SmartApp, or in some non-customized part of the platform or product…

then just tag, message or email @slagle & @jody.albritton.

Of course, this loses the supposed benefit of “prioritizing issues by number of Customer reports”, :confounded:, but no use fighting the wind.

1 Like

There are alternative solutions for this issue. I’ve created a similar app last night and don’t have this problem. I didn’t think you’ll add the switches so I created my own. Thanks for adding them. I was super busy at work today so I didn’t have a chance to look at your code.

I’m wide open to suggestions. The great guru’s have tried to tackle the href in the past in vain but if you’ve found a way around it yahoooo

Hey, I am not a genius coder like many around here, by any means, I am just a guy with a hobby :slight_smile: I didn’t find a workable solution for the href. Was just saying that not using href, could be an alternative for the moment. I like your approach a lot better than my rudimentary, non-dynamic way, btw. Wish it wasn’t broke. I just added locks to check and lock, if found unlocked after x number of minutes, and two sets of switches, one that could be turned off and one that reports just the status (to make sure that my camera outlets are on).

Hey not all, it’s a stumping problem which seems to plague ST’d Android devs. I’m just glad you found a way around. This also explains why @tgauchat says that SmartTiles will never use dynamic hrefs, I actually had hopes now that it’s been fixed and it’ll remain fixed so I decided to use dynamic hrefs in a lot of my apps to enhance the user experience.

3 Likes

###Open Door/Window/Switch Notification on Mode Change - Version 1.2.0

• Added support for check and notify if locks are left Unlocked and an option to Lock them

This app now also acts like a backup for Routines in some way. If the routine times out while trying to lock doors or turn switches off, this app will notify the user and then attempt to complete the action.

2 Likes

###Open Door/Window/Switch/Lock Notification and Action on Mode Change - Version 1.3.0

• Added support for check and notify if garage doors are left Open and an option to Close them
  • Fixed display list of items checked for each mode on home page
1 Like

I cannot wait for the Android app to be fixed so I can use your app. Thanks for adding the locks.