[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

Honestly I didn’t take the time to think of others you employ.

3 Likes

Correct, then you enable this option will allow you to arm/disarm the sync module instead of individual cameras. So all the cameras connected to the sync module will be allowed to send notifications.There is a small nuance I need to clarify here.
In Blink cameras are attached to sync modules. Each Camera and each Sync Module (system) can be armed / disarmed.
When the sync module is disarmed, no camera can send motion detection notifications (armed or not). Conversely, when the sync module is armed, cameras that are armed can send notifications, cameras that aren’t armed will not send notifications.
So with this option enabled, when the switch will arm/disarm the sync module. It will not change the state of the cameras. Those that are armed/enabled will remain armed/enabled and those that are disarmed/disabled will remain so, only the sync module will be affected.
So for e.g. if out of your 10 cameras 8 are armed/enabled and 2 disarmed/disabled, when you arm the sync module with this option, it will allow the 8 armed cameras to send motion notifications and when you disarm the sync module (system), it won’t allow any of the cameras to send motion notifications.

To keep it simple, just make sure all your cameras are armed and then turn on this option. Now as far as ST is concerned when the camera is turn on it will turn on (arm) the sync module associated for the camera (and vice versa). so when the sync module is armed all the camera connected to it can send motion detection notifications and when disarmed none of the camera connected to the sync module will send notifications.

I hope this clarified the working operation of the system/sync module.

Taking from point 9 of the FAQ:

What’s the difference between Activating/Deactivating the System and Enabling/Disabling the Camera?
When the System (sync module) is Deactivated NO camera connected to the sync module will generate any motion alerts. The System (sync module) needs to be Activated to enable Motion Detection on any of the cameras connected to that sync module. When you Enable Motion Detection for a any camera, the SmartApp will automatically Activate the System (sync module) for that camera. However when you Disable a camera, the System (sync module) will still remain active, otherwise the other cameras connected to the sync module will not be able to Detect Motion.

I want to arm my camera when I have Nest Presence set to away. I’m using webcore for the arm and looking at the options it appears enable camera (?) is what I want? Also I don’t like the blue led during recording, so I have that disabled. When I return I only want motion active, but not recording.

Does this piston look accurate?

Thanks

Is there any way around the region block? I cant add a XT camera to my EU sync module

I feel like such an ass. I didn’t take the time to educate myself about different factors. Most importantly I didn’t take into account the scale of your operations. I apologize for diminishing any value or effort from you and your team. I would like to have the native integration, but who’s to say it can match your capabilities. I truly wish you well. Someone suggested they hire you, that would be great as long as they hire your team too. I made assumptions about things I wasn’t knowledgeable about. You have many loyal users and you are an asset to the SmartThings community. I hope you can forgive me for my ignorance. I do admire what you have done, as I am currently not capable of coding. Again I was a fool for not doing my homework. Have a great day and continue to make excellent apps.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity I was watching the logs to see how the Amazon SNS works but I don’t ever see AWS do a callback to the cameraCallback function. Is the SNS functionality implemented on the Blink server side?

My Blink Home Securety yard sign came to my house yesterday with the promo code it only cost $25 with shipping. So Go Get it on the Blink Community Forum!

1 Like

Hey guys. I been on he fence with Arlo and Blink. I’m leaning to getting a 5 package of Blinks today.

Quick question maybe some can answer before I buy. Will I be able to have a Blink Camera snap a picture when the door is open, and be notified of it. With a combination of CORE and this Device Handler?

1 Like

Hi @Phil_Panfili,

The Answer is YES. I have my camera snap a photo of whom ever rings my door bell.

I’m not familiar with how the app works. Is it then easy for you to go look at it?

Does it send it to you in anyway?

I see it in the ST Camera feed.

I’m looking at ordering some blink camera’s. Is there any updated discount code? The one provided on the first post of this thread has expired.

Hi,

Understand that non rechargeable lithiums should be used.
But just curious if anyone has tried any specific brand/type of rechargeables, which have worked well?

Thanks,
H

They will never work well for a simple reason, the self discharge on all rechargeable batteries is higher than the active consumption of the camera.

NiCd re chargeable batteries lose about 30% of their charge every month just lying around (self discharge).
NiMH batteries lose about 10% of their charge every month lying on the shelf.

Given that the life of a Lithium AA cell (NOT Lithium Ion) in this camera is about 2 years, there are no rechargeable batteries that suit the low power need of this camera. They will all die before the camera uses the juice from them.
Lithium batteries has a shelf life of 10 years so that’s why they are suitable for the camera. IF you want you can try Alkaline batteries (the voltage is lower than a Lithium battery so be prepared to have the battery level show 50% when you start the camera) since they also have a long shelf life but again it holds about a 3rd as much energy as Lithium batteries. So if your goal is to save money, rechargeable batteries will only cause you grief in the long run. Your most cost effective option is to use Lithium batteries or second choice Alkaline batteries.

BTW this is the ONLY product I know where the battery life turned out to be double of what they initially advertised. I remember Apples 10 hour batteries on their iPhones to only get 6-8 from them.
Blink advertised 1 year and they’re lasting me two (or some in some cases).

3 Likes

Can you recommend a battery. Best bang for buck. Preferably Amazon.

Thanks!

Here you go ($25 Off)
https://share.blinkforhome.com/x/iKt00h

1 Like

As @RBoy just posted, and confirmed by myself on my 4 Blink cameras; rechargables fall short and are found wanting. That’s why I have purchased these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EFT2BU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Yeesh. So many bad reviews on these.:confused: I guess from the comments, it seems to be some counterfeits out there. I can definitely use a 20 pack as I have 3 door locks that these can go into as well. I replaced the kitchen Blink a month ago with regular Duracell and they are already dead.

Considering the advertised battery life, hard wiring seemed unnecessary.

1 Like

I should menssion that I hardwired my entry cammera and the driveway cammera. These are my high traffic zones and need to be powered.

1 Like

so, has anyone studied the cost / battery vs the life / battery? If I have
to replace 2x as often, but get 100 charges for 2x the price… what is
the price of convenience? And does anyone know that the real ratios look
like?