[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

Open the Blink Camera Manager and verify that it’s showing the version as 05.08.01

it is. i now have it working as it was originally. ie. it shows the temp and battery level and they seem to be pretty accurate. but i don’t have a slider, etc. for recording time. it does give advanced options though in the secondary menu for this. now it says there was a problem retrieveving the livestream url.

but anyways. what i’ve found for instal is this. that may be helpful is this.

first as you said in your instructions, install the device handler first then the app. but also make sure to delete the app and device handler out of the IDE. what i originally did was cut the text out of the page and replace it with the new updated form. I fell this was what was causing my issue by leaving old data or settings in place still.

with the password issue, ive found that if you log out of blink camera app and whatever OTHER smartthings account you may be in (wife) will solve the password not valid issue.

1 Like

does this mean i can use action tiles to view still images of my blink cameras now? all i see is image capture in action tiles panel builder and i just updated the smartapp and device handler to the latest on the rboy page.

That’s a question for SmartTiles (ActionTiles) to answer. They would need to utilize the capability, the DH has provided a custom mechanism (PoC) to do it. @tgauchat

1 Like

ok cool. i wasnt sure if it was an action tiles or an rboy feature. ill post on the actiontiles forum. thanks!!

1 Like

Official "Works With SmartThings"™ devices, as well as published Capabilities get priority, but we are interested in knowing how many ActionTiles Customers are interested in Blink integration.

Please open a Feature Request Topic on our Feedback Forum and encourage Votes and other participation. Thanks!

https://ActionTiles.com/feedback

3 Likes

Its probably a bunch. I tried to post on your forum but the page isnt loading. Ill try again later this evening.

1 Like

Forum is loading for me…
Just in case; here is an alternate direct link: ActionTiles Forum / AT Support & Ideas

2 Likes

that worked. not sure why it didnt load before. thanks!!

Just created a thread on the ActionTiles forum.
http://support.actiontiles.com/topics/1932-blink-integration-with-actiontiles/#

2 Likes

got fixed when updated

1 Like

Blink for Home now has a community forum. If anyone chooses, you could express the interest in native integration with SmartThings.
http://community.blinkforhome.com

3 Likes

Question regarding:
What is the best way to arm/disarm Motion Detection externally (i.e. not manually):
Modify the Switch behavior via the SmartApp to control the system instead of the cameras. This will now arm/disarm the system (sync module) instead of controlling each camera individually when the switch is turned on/off from the Routine.

If I enable this option to arm/disarm the system do I need to turn more than one camera on/off? Effectively does this mean that I only have to disarm one camera/switch which will then trigger the entire system to disarm? Same then when I go to arm it, do I only have to tell it to arm one camera/switch then the entire system will “arm” including all cameras?

Hay @RBoy,

You should really chime in on the Blink ST integratiion thread on the Blink feed.
I can’t be the only one hammering the keys.

And anyone listening to my rent. Please chime in on the Blink community thread too.

http://community.blinkforhome.com/t/samsung-smartthings-integration/132?u=lmosenko

4 Likes

I chimed in…

2 Likes

Hay Guys,

Big news flash. Go to the Blink community forum for a Discount Code ($15 OFF) on Blink Yard Signs. They ask not to repost. So just go and find it.Just ordered my sign.

Recommend to go get your sign ASAP! It comes to $25 for me with shipping. A lot better than $40 which I was looking at earlier.

This is the name of the thread on Blink forum: $30 for Yard Sign/Stickers?

3 Likes

Am I the only one that thinks advertising you have Blink Cameras (or any other specific brand) is a bad idea?

Having some sort of notice that there is CCTV in Operation is great but stating the actual make to me is just a no no. It can inadvertently make the cameras a target for theft themselves, not to mention it also helps the perps out in exactly what cameras to look for.

Each to their own of course but personally I would just have generic signs/stickers, does the same job without helping the criminals out.

2 Likes

Hi @chippie,

As I posted on the same question in the Blink community forum:

http://community.blinkforhome.com/t/30-for-yard-sign-stickers/201/8?u=lmosenko

I also posted this:

Just ordered mine. Thanks @Tori_At_Blink.
This will deffinatly help with folks like the guy who rang my doorbell this afternoon, noticed my camera and walked away fast. Funny video. You could literelly see him doing a double take on it.

1 Like

I agree with everything you said and what a lot of the other folks have said also. No kidding, someone should ask the families of folks working at RBoy Apps just the sheer amount of time we spend building, maintaining and supporting the software we create. We do it because we love it and we love the folks who support us. Like someone pointed out, quality is a big deal for us (among’t other things).

Coming to the native integration, we’ve submitted our thoughts and proposal to Blink and SmartThings. ST is game about it, Blink’s mgmt is also considering it, but as one of the employees pointed out it’s about priorities and roadmap. With minimal incremental effort we can make this a pure native integration.

It would be far more expensive for Blink to start over from scratch (and then quality, support etc) as someone pointed out.

A key question to answer would be how many more cameras (system’s) would Blink sell because of ST. Its’ interesting to see how many Blink cameras the average ST user has… (v/s non HA users).

7 Likes

Hey!

:+1: I agree! The point I disagree about though is naming the actual make of the camera. Also Blink really should give these away for free tbh. Arlo give you a load of stickers with each camera as you are basically advertising their product as mentioned.

As a completely extreme example, anyone in the know will be aware that Blink rely on internet access. If your property is ‘specifically targeted’ this gives the thieves a distinct advantage in knowing how to stop any recordings being taken, network jammers, cutting your link, as well as knowing exactly what to look for around the house etc.
OK I am mainly taking about career criminals here and not opportunists of course but then any generic sign without naming the make of the cameras will have the same effect on the opportunist.

It is just my view that why help out the thieves by giving them information as to what security system you have. This can only help them out if they are determined to target you and as mentioned generic signs will have the same effect on opportunists… :grinning: