[Release] Nuheat Signature Thermostat

@dougberman - Can you try something for me? Can you adjust setting the temperature using the slider instead of the up/down buttons?

I saw the behavior you saw when using the buttons. However, it seemed to work fine when I used the slider. Both should work, but if you can confirm what I am seeing I’ll contact ST.

Yes - nice catch! Using the slider works fine, using the up/down buttons exhibits the behavior we discussed.

Ok, I’ll have to submit something to ST. It is not supposed to work that way. Or maybe it is, I guess I will need to add a delay when you manually change the temp. For example, don’t do the adjustment unless no other adjustment has been made for 2 seconds.

FYI - Nuheat has offered to provide me with their official API documentation which might have extra features. However, due to their terms and conditions, I am unable to sign their agreement. Specifically, I believe by publishing a ST device handler I would be in conflict with the following clause:

You will not share the information relating to Nuheat Signature API, Nuheat Signature ecosystem, Nuheat Signature developer materials, or products or services related thereto with a third party and agree to keep all such information confidential.

Thank you for making this public. Just set it up tonight. Well done and easy to understand. Would also appreciate a Celsius option! I’d also be happy to make a donation for this handler.

Guys, I’m sorry about some of the lack of features in this. I’ve been really busy traveling for work and now year end activities, more travel, holidays… are taking their toll. I’m actually a bit ashamed.

Good news. I’ve been negotiating the terms of my access to the fully documented nuheat api. Getting close to something more official.

Using this now. Took me a while to get set up so here is a brief tutorial:

1. Go to github: https://github.com/ericvitale/ST-NuHeat-Signature-Thermostat/blob/master/devicetypes/ericvitale/nuheat-signature-thermostat.src/nuheat-signature-thermostat.groovy

2. Copy all of the code in the box

3. Go to smart things hub and log in https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/device/create

(May need to go to “my locations” tab and select “home”)

1. Under “Create new device handler” Click on “from code” tab and paste copied code from Github. All of it. Click “Create”

2. Go to “My Devices Tab” Click “New Device” Button.

3. Give it a name and a unique network ID. For Type: “NuHeat Signature Thermostat.” Location: Home, Hub: Home Hub Etc.

4. Now the device should be in your ST app under home, but you will still need to configure the device with your Nuheat Thermostat ID and credentials.you get these from “mynuheat”

Thank you so much to Eric and any other contributors. I live in a condo with baseboard heat and bought the nuheat thermostats for an upgrade. I have recently been setting up smart home stuff and was disappointed to find the lack of integration with ST.

With this DH, is there any integration with Amazon Echo/Alexa? I was able to have Alexa discover the thermostat which I named “Living room” But when I say “Alexa, Set the Living room to 70 degrees” I get “That command doesn’t work on device living room”

Any Ideas?

Nice +1 here for celsius :slight_smile: I finally got my bathroom reno done so I finally got around to installing this…

Ok, guys. I’ve come to an agreement with Nuheat full access to their API. However, to protect myself contractually I am going to have to start over from scratch. This is probably a good thing. I get some feedback before I start…

Do you like the design of how this DH works now or would you rather it be the more traditional thermostat?

1 Like

First of all, thanks for all the work! I know a lot of people really appreciate your efforts here.

On UI, I think either one works. On features, one thing I am having trouble with (and this may be user error) is the following situation. I have tried a few automations to solve the following: When status is set to away, change temp to 41 degrees. The one hour default is the problem. Changing status to away moves the temp to 41, but an hour later it returns the temp to the default. Any suggestions?

I’m not sure if you are using webCoRE but you can evoke the custom method

setHeatingSetpointAndHold(degrees, duration)

Thank you for your work on this… So excited to set it up tonight. I have two signature thermostats which I was considering having to add a relay to to control.

Just an update. The guy I have been working with at Nuheat is on vacation. I still don’t have the documentation…

great work guys… got one working out of 3… but should be ok to ts issues left…

are you planning alexa interface next.

ST unit display C for celcuis but data is in F

obviously would like IFTTT integration of both temp control and temp status.

got the same reply from Alexa all 3 of mine…

great work guys…!

I’m really glad someone created this app and thank you for the great work.

I see discussions on setting up Celsius, but I can’t see any option anywhere to do that. Did I miss something? Or, is it still in the works. Thanks.

Awesome work on this DTH, @whoismoses . In your travels with this NuHeat API, have you found out how to put them into “Away” mode? Their website seems to have a dedicated switch for this which automatically sets all 'stats to 41 °F with an indefinite hold. I was hoping I could invoke the same method from Webcore whenever my wife and I are away from home.

Not directly your answer

If you have Nest thermostats, Nuheat has a works with nest that when nest goes to away mode, nuheat will go into away mode also…

Ha yeah, funny you mention it. Turns out the whole reason I’m trying to get the NuHeats to work with Webcore/Smartthings is because the Nest’s mobile presence was broken for months after iOS 11 was released, so I decided to wade into the seedy underbelly of home automation to roll my own solution. Good thing I enjoy this stuff :slight_smile:

@whoismoses Have you abandoned this project? Were you able to get official documentation from NuHeat?