[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

@mckenph Please DO Not remove everything. There is so many posts in here now my head is spinning.

I need you to Enable Diagnostics under Get Help|Diagnostics in the manager app and enable logging as well please. Once you do that Press Done all the way back to the Installed SmartApps page wait about 10 seconds then go back in and scroll to bottom and go to NST Web. Please PM the URL so I can look at this first hand please

I’m pretty certain this it the Nest Home/Away assist. Even though it shows off in the mobile app mine keeps changing from away to home because of my dogs. So when that happens NST says hey you home and should be away so it sets it away again, and so on goes the cycle.

Well this is not good…now I can’t open NST manager after I did what you said. got the old Somethings wrong

I don’t think this is the case Anthony, at least for me. So in the last month while I have been assisting others out here, I have had two things happen:

1. when I performed the new token and updated from NST Manager, both my Location Name and Home/Away both stated null on the devices page. There was no way to recommunicate with Nest. Even though it showed all my devices there, if I tapped on modify, it would tell me there are no devices I can add, because it no longer sees my Nest Location. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled and I was prompted with my location. Problem fixed.
  2. 2 or 3 days ago while I was assisting a few others and tying to recreate an issue, I had done a couple of basic things, including resetting my Nest token several times and also had selected NST Manager from Market Place again to troubleshoot another users issue. That’s when I noticed that my Nest Presence said Away. I validated that Nest was indeed Home. So I physically toggled the Nest Presence device too Home and it stayed there for 5 seconds and reverted to Away again. That’s when I went into NST Manager Main page and saw that the Home/Away is now showing “null”. The Location name is correct. I had family and friends coming over for the Thanksgiving week and I wanted to show them my ActionTiles with everything so instead of working to troubleshoot with you, I just uninstalled and reinstalled so I could have my entire setup working correctly this week. I have a feeling that attempting to add NST Manager from Market Place again after it has already been installed had something to do with it or resetting the token several times possibly.

Something is definitely creating this scenario to lose the values of either the Location Name or the Home/Away value getting set to “null”.

Is there some sort of health check that can be implemented that allows the Location to be re-selectable for Nest post install to sync it back up again when either value turns to “null”? Obviously need to track down the exact source of the issue first which I can’t pinpoint right now.

As for some if the other issues earlier in the week where one person couldn’t see 5.23 and it kept reverting to 5.20 and the other person not seeing NST Manager in the Market place at all when they had previously installed before is a SmartThings issue so disregard those. They have already reported to support and one is fixed. Somehow their shard had been modified and it not pointed correctly over the last week.

This is the stuff that’s impossible for me to fix. Tons of time has been put into making NST very resilient to ST platform issues. It’s hard to take into consideration people resetting there tokens constantly and trying to rip out NST completely and start over at the first sign of trouble.
Basically i can’t fix what i can’t see or duplicate.
This is the main reason why I built the diagnostics system into NST.
It does 2 things:

1. Allows end users to review/monitor all of there data and settings in a nice web interface.
  2. Allow users to share the link to there diagnostic info for me to review and track down potential bugs.
1 Like

Yep, I agree and totally understand. I was just tying to set up the same scenarios and troubleshoot some of the issues others have been having lately and in the process of doing things out of whack such as folks selecting form Market Place again or resetting tokens over and over I was able to whack my system out a couple of times.

If I can reproduce the issue again, I will stop so we can go the diagnostic route. I just didn’t have the luxury of time so we could do it when I encountered this last issue and try and dial in to where the problem stemmed from.

I was trying to lighten your load because the thread had so many people reporting all sorts of various situations :slight_smile:

1 Like

I encourage anyone having problems to immediately enable the diagnostics and logging as well.
This will allow you to watch and review any and all data related to NST apps and devices and maybe help find the issue.
Here are some screens of what it offers end users:

1 Like

If I’m trying to recreate this on the fly to reproduce would it be more helpful for me to enable log collection prior to trying to recreate the issue, or does that matter?

yes enabling before trying to recreate would be ideal

1 Like

Perfect. I have the diagnostic web page enabled and am going to try and reproduce this over the weekend and will document steps to exactly what I did and when it happened and will enable log collection ahead of time.

It’s going to be like taking the car to the mechanic because there is a loud knocking noise, but it stops when your drive up to the repair shop :slight_smile:

Keep in mind the logging window is limited to 90kb of space and eventually overwrites the oldest records. I see on average 450-500 lines stored.

Ok so if I can reproduce, what specific steps do you want me to take? Is there anything I can do on this end once I do reproduce and to keep the log from continuing to fill up and eventually overwrite the data collected from the issue?

If i turn logging off after, that clears the log right?

When and if I can reproduce, do I just send you the external url for you to be able to access it all, or do I need to physically turn the send logs stuff on?

if you turn off they get deleted or it shuts off after 48hours.

If you can reproduce maybe copy the logs into a PM as well as send me the URL.

Perfect! Will do.

I am still all locked up. Nothing is working. I turned on logging and diags and the app no longer works

There’s absolutely no way it’s locked up that bad. The worst that would happen is the mobile app would refuse to open the smartapp because something was missing. (If it’s really that messed up than this is a larger issue than just a bug in our code)
In the IDE go into My Locations > SmartApps

While you have the Log window (try to click the NST manager in the logs to filter out the other logs) running in a different tab click on the update button in the update link next to NST manager.

Keep an eye out for any errors or exceptions

Here is what I get and the circle is still spinning after I hit the update. Still spinning after 2 min

ec75768d-89cc-4a91-a2f4-41025d9cdd59 3:48:24 PM: debug NST Manager | NST Manager Updated…with settings: [appDebug:true, tempChgWaitVal:4, disableAllAutomations:false, childDebug:true, optInSendExceptions:true, devNameOverride:true, structures:RLJlWUUJInG7gmoUProQc-BcNzVNcXNKJfB_wiHChfk_8-8Nv1YZUA, resetSTAccessToken:false, tstatShowHistoryGraph:true, enRemDiagLogging:true, showDataChgdLogs:true, pollStrValue:180, pollWeatherValue:900, weatherShowGraph:true, advAppDebug:true, optInAppAnalytics:true, protects:[bIms4xqVPB1k1OisFcnjKEQ53cEly8E4, bIms4xqVPB0NovLHfHsVTUQ53cEly8E4, bIms4xqVPB1_WNdsU4CNFkQ53cEly8E4, bIms4xqVPB1zPHyVmCOwokQ53cEly8E4, bIms4xqVPB2yYjlQfez07EQ53cEly8E4, bIms4xqVPB3llPZdYofqjUQ53cEly8E4, bIms4xqVPB3fG79srTLgB0Q53cEly8E4], weatherDevice:true, weathAlertNotif:true, presDevice:false, enDiagWebPage:true, showProtActEvts:true, mobileClientType:android, disAppIcons:false, debugAppendAppName:true, pollWaitVal:10, pollValue:180, useMilitaryTime:false, thermostats:[mhYF3FL4f9nt4j7Gyn8nBEQ53cEly8E4, mhYF3FL4f9l5iF6Pf-5nz0Q53cEly8E4, mhYF3FL4f9lfLrX4N67rG0Q53cEly8E4], resetAllData:false]

And still spinning…

What circle is spinning? There shouldn’t be a spinning circle in the IDE

right next to the update button

and still spinning and if i update anything else it spins and then stops

And actually all the thermostats and watchdog are all spinning. Presence starts then stops

That’s not normal no matter what the app is doing.

Lets try something:
I need you to open up the manager code in the IDE scroll down to line 3035 and add the following below it
settingUpdate("resetAllData", "true")

Save and Publish than click on the little play icon next to the NST Manager label

This will initialize a full state repair for the app.