[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

Anthony, I came up with another solution that accomplished what I was looking to do by capturing a person event and then playing a message on a Bose speaker.

Here’s what I did for anyone that is interested in doing something similar:

1. I created a simulated alarm (you can do a switch too)
    device in ST
  2. Created an Applet in IFTTT that does the following:
    • Selected Android Device as the Trigger Service and
    • Notification received from a specific app
    • Nest for the app and added keyword of Person
    • Selected SmartThings for the Action Service
    • Activate Alarm with set value of Siren
  3. I then created a Piston in webCoRe that executes when
    the Alarm device is changed to Siren. This then plays a
    message (at 90% volume) on the Bose near that
    Camera. “Hey, Hey, this is an automated warning. Your
    picture has already been taken. The police have been
    notified, so you may want to leave the premises now.”

In order to do this, Nest notifications need to be turned on so that push notifications are received on your device for IFTTT to be able to intercept.

I use Hey twice in my message because of the known issue when audio is sent to the speakers through ST and cutting off the beginning text. You only hear 1 Hey in the message.

I ran this test a dozen times and there is almost NO delay (like 2 seconds) between receiving the Nest Notification for Person and IFTTT turning on the device and webCore executing the Piston and playing message.

2 Likes

Forgive my ignorance I tried to find an answer but couldn’t. I updated the code in the ide development but how do I update it on the smart apps on my phone. It’s still showing the old version. Do I need to uninstall the manager on my phone and re add it along with all the setting? Or is there a simpler way I’m missing? Thanks for your help guys.

So you updated and published the code for the follow?

• NST Manager (SmartApp)
  • NST Automations (SmartApp)
  • Nest Thermostat (DeviceHandler)
  • Nest Protect (DeviceHandler)
  • Nest Camera (DeviceHandler)
  • Nest Presence (DeviceHandler)
  • Nest Weather (DeviceHandler)

If you watch the logs in the IDE i bet you are seeing a ton of NEED CODE UPDATE entries in the logs.

I think there might be something else that has transpired that created an issue between the repository and GitHub. I won’t go into details other than I know several people (including me) had an issue with code mismatching (and it had nothing to do with checking the Publish box) between their local copy and repository.

My question is when you goto the list of SmartApps or Device Handlers in IDE, do you see a magnifying glass next to the edit button on any of them, and do they all say published and/or do any of them say Edited?

Don’t delete or remove anything. No need to do that.

If the answer is yes to the above, let me know and if not, ignore my post.

Yes I have updated the code for the smart apps and device handler’s. They have all been published to me. It’s just the smart app in smart things app that is showing it’s still using the old version and keeps telling me there is an update.

My question was “do you see a magnifying glass?”

Like in this screenshot for my Ask Alexa app:

I have two different answers to resolve this for you depending on your answer to the question.

Sorry about that, no I dont see a magnifying glass, here is a screenshot of what I see and the device handler’s look similar

Perfect, by seeing the black text, that tells me that you are current between your copy and GitHub.

So what @Danabw did in this post up above was to simply go into the MarketPlace and select NST Manager again and this did the trick. I personally didn’t go that route for my issue, but that appeared to fix it for Dana and didn’t create a duplicate application.

1 Like

I would like to say this surprises me but there are some weird things with the ST app and api lately.

If that doesn’t work hit the play button on the smart app list next to NST Manager

Hi Anthony, I’m a new user, and first want to say thanks as I just got and installed a Nest Thermo E yesterday, and then got your ST Smart App installed today! Everything looks to be working great, and in addition to my new Nest account, I now have Nest Developer status and made my first foray into GitHub!

After having spent over an hour going through the documentation and some searches through this thread, I have a number of questions, but I’ll start with a few lingering ones about the install process first.

I took the GitHub install route, and in the SmartThings Developer Documentation for GitHub Integration that your install instructions links to, Steps 4 & 5 explain how to optionally clone your forked SmartThings repository locally and configure Git to sync it with upstream changes from the original ST repository. I wasn’t sure if I needed to do that if I’m just going to be using the GitHub link to facilitate the install of ST Community User’s project code. Were those steps necessary?

Another install process question I have is to do with enabling OAuth in NST Manager. Are the OAuth ID and Secret that I generated via the Nest Developer website and entered into the NST Manager App settings actually overriding the auto-generated OAuth Client ID & Secret, or are those different things?

The last question has to do with updates. Is there any way that I could automate a notification of new updates to the NST Manager apps and/or device handlers?

I’ll stop here and ask my non-install-related question later.

Thanks again for this great ST-Nest integration solution!

I’m back :smiley:

App installed from scratch and all seems to be working once again, yay :sunglasses:

Got it all installed.

It wont play my nest camera. The middle of the camera page is blank and the working spinning circle just keeps spinning.

For my nest thermostat, it just hangs with the working spinning circle. If I restart the smatthings app I can get it to partially load, but the middle of the page then does like the camera. Its blank with the working spinning circle.

This is a known issue that goes way back. It’s posted in this thread many times. Anybody running Android will have the HTML content loaded the first time you go into a device. After that, you get the spinning circle as it continues to try and load the HTML content. The only way it will load again is if you force stop the app.

This is not a problem with NST Manager. This is a problem between SmartThings and the Android Client, period.

For your Thermostat, all you have to do is swipe down on your screen and the top part will load the data. I’m on Android so I know the little work arounds.

As for the camera, my recommendation is ActionTiles. You can add all your Nest Cameras to AT and view them all in one panel (see screenshot of mine)

Thanks for the quick reply! I figured it might be something like that.

Nobody has an ETA on a fix either which is frustrating. There are other ST SmartApps that are affected when using the HTML content the same way. I know @tonesto7 has pinged the SmartThings staff if they could provide a fix but I have seen no replies back about whether they can do it internally or not. And if it’s left for Android to be fixed, I have been running ST from Android 5.x all the way thru 7.1.1, so I don’t see a fix anytime soon on the horizon unless ST can provide one. Trust me, I feel your pain. I just found other work arounds that in the end give me more functionality, accessibility, and visibility with my Nest products and having NST Manager being there as the foundational piece that allows the products to integrate with ST. :slight_smile: This also allows me to very rarely ever use the ST mobile application to view devices or turn things on or off.

I had a working set up and wanted to change a few things so I tried to do a fresh install. Upon trying to login I got the following:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

#
#<error_description>7dc1xxx-5b77-4a2b-a70c-f87bdfcxxxx</error_description>
#invalid_token
#

I’ve tried updating from the repo and I even remade my Nest developer app. Everything is published and I even reinstalled everything except the NST Manager which ST would not let me uninstall.

EDIT: Fixed by forcing the uninstall in the IDE and reinstalling.

Uninstalling via the IDE is no longer required as of v5.2.3.

On the uninstall page there is new option

Just tap that and it will resolve the uninstall issue by removing the child apps thus removing the device subscription issue preventing the uninstall… ST said this bug will be fixed in the next 2 weeks.

I actually did try the new option as well. I think it worked except I have the Nest thermostat in my dashboard and this prevented it from being removed and then I had a “partial uninstall”.

Hello

I have been using this Nest/SmartThings for awhile and recently upgraded to the newest version. I have been trying for the past day to get this to work with ST again. I have deleted everything and went back and done a fresh install. I have done the developer with Nest and entered all that information in the settings.

I am having problems when adding this into My Apps. I enter my Nest log in and then get Works with Nest with permissions and at the bottom Accept. I click the Accept and a little circle spins for two seconds and at the top receive Oops! We’ve encountered an error.Please try again.

Can anyone point me in what I’m doing wrong? I’ve googled, watched videos and probably have the Nest Wiki memorized now.

Thanks!
Ryan

I am getting an error when trying to authourise my nest account against NST; when clicking accept it is saying 'oops, weve encountered an error. Please try again.
Any ideas?