[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

It is tracking (and allowing you to change) Nest’s view of home/away.

So when Nest home/away changes, it will display that. It also can be called to change home/away.

The reason for it is

a) Provide a ST presence device that tracks Nest
b) provide a way to change home/away (which can be a challenge if you don’t have thermostats in your location)

It does make it easy in things like CoRE and WebCoRE to
if nest thinks you are home then … if your automation logic requires such

The interesting thing is I have automation setup so that if no movement is detected using nest presence, smart things will set to away. However, I recently realized this wasn’t the case. It set my home to away even though there was movement near the Nest protect devices.

It is important to track “who is on first”, i.e. what is sending/triggering changes.

Depending on your nest settings, it may not change home/away at all, or it may only on geolocation if you enable that for nest (vs enabling for smartthings on your phone).

IDE logs, specifically for devices are your friend in see “where” changes are coming from.

With Nest, there are many places “automations can be inserted” into the world. So it is possible things outside of ST are making changes…

Also note nest presence is not a motion detector. Nest does not expose components of a thermostat or protect “to use as a motion detector”. There is some motion capability in the Nest Cameras, but the event arrives after the motion has ended.

Have you gotten answer on this yet? I Mine says device type is 4.4.1 and then in parenthesis it has 5.1.2. I have updated to the new version, published and everything else looks good.

Ah ok. I thought it was using Nest thermostat and protect as a motion
detector like when you walk by thermostat it turns on it’s screen or walk
by a protect it turns on the path light.

It would be great if Nest exposed the motion side along with the Hot Water function that has been available in the UK for a long time now but we can still not control it outside of their App. Getting a little fed up with it tbh (not NST Manager etc. development on this is great). Might have to start to look at a different solution which gives me full control…

2 Likes

Following installation of the most recent version when I go to authenticate my account through works with nest. I get signed in and when I click agree I get a message that says “can’t reach nest.com right now. Try again soon.”

Clearly I’m able to connect to Nest.com though as I was able to login with out any issue.

I used to have the old version of Nest Manager and it worked great. I recently started having problems with it and behold here is a new and improved version… without reading anything I wiped out all the old stuff( handlers, devices, smartapp) and started with new.

After the Nest Login where you click accept on “works with nest” mine screen just flashes and doesn’t do anything further. It won’t proceed to the next screen. Not sure whats going on.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

@azchipka @fstbusa

Can you guys try again?

1 Like

Works now! Thanks

1 Like

All better! Thank You

1 Like

Now I have everything up and working as far as handlers and the app but I cannot for the life of me get into the automations section. I click on it and nothing happens. I can get into notifications and everywhere else but automations just stay at the main screen saying to create one.

Hey there. I could use some help. I just installed the required items for use with my nest cam. I use the github integration method. I installed and published both the Manager and Automations. I then went to Apps and installed the ones for Camera and Presence as those are the only two I currently need. At the time, I did enable OAuth for Nest Manager. I then went into the ST app and went to MY APPS and now I have Two Nest Managers and Two NST Automations listed. When I go into NST Automations I get This Install Method Not Allowed. NST Automations cant be directly installed from Marketplace. Please use NST Manager SmartApp to configure.

If I go into either of the Nest Manager apps I get Something went wrong with a toast notification that says Error:OAuth is not enabled for Nest Manager. Please click remove and Enable OAuth under the smart app settings in the IDE.

In the IDE where I have two Nest Managers listed under smart apps, one has OAuth and the other doesnt. At a loss of what to do or what the issue is. I have run into the wall of my personal knowledge.

If I try to delete the nest manager that doesnt have oauth enabled I get This SmartApp can’t be deleted at this time because it is installed by one or more users

I went in and enabled OAuth on the second nest manager and now both of them appear to be loading so I may log in to my nest account.

I guess Im trying to understand why I have two for both items listed ?

can you bring up the IDE logs, then try your test again?

Leave them open in another window. It may give you some messages that help understand what is going on in your environment.

You should not have two NST Managers in your environment.

I suggest you want to un-install each one individually, and then ensure by looking at the IDE -> My Locations -> List SmartApps, that they have been un-installed.

Then re-install from the ST mobile app -> Marketplace.

Did you install the new automations file just like the manager?

When I tried to remove the Manager listed without OAuth it wouldnt let me remove it it saying it was currently in use. I went ahead an turned OAtuh on for the second manager and i am now able to log in and have my cameras up.

I might remove it all and start over at some point but for now im good with it the way it is.

Now that I have this running, what kind of automations can I set up using Smart things? If I have an intrusion can I force all cameras to record? Where do I go to set these up?

I did… apparently I didn’t publish it… Duh!