[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

That is correct, I guess I can modify the number of degrees that Nest Manager adjusts the target temperature in order to trigger the furnace/AC to run? I believe I currently have it set to 5 degrees.

What automation or schedule do you have set or that was making the change? This will help know where adjustment is needed.

I’m having the a similar but different issue after upgrading to 5.0.9 and giving my nest devices custom names within the nest manager app. Most of my nest devices are showing offline now and won’t come back online. It started happening when I changed to a custom name for my devices. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is this a bug? I tried the workaround of clicking on the cog wheel and then clicking done but it didn’t help.

It’s a bit difficult to tell, actually… Only thing I know for certain is that I have remote sensors, and I had the “Action Threshold Temp” set to 2 degrees, and the “Change Temp Increments” set to 5 degrees. One of the schedules that I am using has heat setpoint at 68 and cool setpoint at 72. Additionally, one of my remote sensor seems to be quite a bit warmer than the rest of the house (poor circulation and poorer insulation in that room). I am guessing the combination of close setpoints, high remote sensor, and high increment setting are combining for a perfect storm. I adjusted the increment setting down to 3, and I also removed the remote sensor from my configuration. If both fix the problem, I will then try increasing the increment setting back to 5.

It would be good to have IDE “Live Logging” up when a change occurs (with the error), so we can so what is requesting the change.

Should move the sharing of IDE live logging to a private message to avoid public sharing of your data.

I have the Live Log up now, but I have not had any API command failures since changing the increment value from 5 degrees to 3 degrees, and also removing the remote sensor that was often a temperature outlier. Will update if there are any new failures.

I currently have NST Manager setup to automatically switch the Nests between home/away (like I’m sure everyone else here does using the NestMode automation). I do not use the NST Manager to set the temps, though. I use the Nest App and put them in the scheduler there. It is easier to maintain. But, I need to do one more thing with NST Manager.

I would like to have it automatically put the Nest thermos in Home mode when it is above a certain temp outside. We are not replacing our HVAC until next year and it has issues bringing the house down to temp when it is really hot out. It does much better maintaining the temp throughout the hot day.

So, this is sort of a NestMode override if temp is above X degrees outside.

Is this possible?

There is an external temperature automation in NST Manager, that you can enable to switch the system in / out of ECO (which is typically where you put away/home temps).

You might want to look at that. As an FYI, nest has changed home away that it does not itself adjust temps. it is changing from ECO to non ECO is the temp changes. The external temp automation adjusts in/out of eco based on temp

Unfortunately, further up in this thread, I noted that using the Eco switch in this smart app seemed to not be working properly, so I turned it off. Since then, it has been properly putting the thermos in and out of home/away. I can try using the eco setting again to see, but would need some more testing to verify that it is working.

Couple of things to be aware of:

ECO itself works just fine.

Nest has home/away assist, which some folks have had trouble with. This is an automation in nest, and you can enable it or not based on your choosing. It adjusts home/away (and ECO) based on Nest’s view of your presence.

Typically you would not have both Nest’s home away assist on and NestMode on as both would be trying to adjust the home/away setting.

So ECO is just fine, choose your automation for adjusting Nest Modes.

Yep, we don’t use the Home/Away assist - at least, I don’t think we do. Under the “what decides” for Home/Away Assist everything is set to no.

Is there something else we should do to that configuration in the Nest App?

For me personally and what I needed the system to do. Nest by itself will only allow me to set Nest to Away based on my Presence. I have the phone location turned off directly in Nest for “what decides if you are home”, but the Home Away Assist settings for the thermostats are set to Eco when Nest goes into Away. Now on the NST Manager side, I have it configured so that when ST goes into Armed (Away), it automatically sets Nest to Away, yet Nest still natively changes to Eco from itself. Because I wanted an order of things to happen. When I leave the house, ST is set to Armed (Away) when my ST Presence sensor leaves and my mobile presence is outside the perimeter, and then NST Manager sets my Nest to Away. I have 5 Nest cameras that turn on as part of Away and I didn’t want to have a timing issue with my mobile presence to set my Nest Away ahead of time from the house being Armed first. Its my trickle down affect. Leave perimeter -----> Arm ST ----> NST Mgr set Nest to Away -----> Nest sets to Eco direct when Away.

Is there a way to cancel an override without re-running a routine? Or maybe creating a routine that simply puts everything back on schedule?

Here is an example use case: I have a manually triggered routine for waking up that adjusts the thermostat higher so the AC turns off when taking a shower (no other mode changes or anything, just manually adjusted the set-points). When I go to work the house changes the mode to home (wife and kid are still at home) and everything goes on schedule. Similar to that, when it bath time for our daughter we have a manually triggered routine to do that same as above. Then I have an automatic routine for when her door is closed that puts everything back on schedule. What I am running into is it might be sometime before I leave for work or her door is closed so I would like an easy button to simply put everything back on the schedule. I think I noticed in the log something like CancelOverride. So, is there a way to manually trigger CancelOverride?

Are your temperature schedules in Nest, in NST Manager, or some other smartapp?

That has a lot to do with where an override is, and what “cancel” means.

In a SmartApp (or CoRE), you can read the current mode and setpoint(s) before you change them, and then have the data available when you decide to put it “back”.

Schedules in Nest cannot be read by apps via the Nest API, and Nest does not offer a “resume” command beyond the next schedule time change.

So knowing “who is on first” is important to figure out who can save/restore state as temporary changes are made.

1 Like

All of my schedules are NST Manager automation schedules. The overrides are a ST routine that just sets the thermostat temp.

And I have another question concerning ECO if External Temp is near Comfort Settings. It doesn’t appear to be working for me.

Under External Temps Config I see:

ECO State:
-Mode Adjusted (FALSE)

• Last Mode: (Not Set)

What step am I missing? I had this working many versions ago.

Hey @tonesto7…Great work!

6 Likes

I’m also getting a lot of offline notifications. I’ve gone into settings and hit done and they still come back. Any other suggestions to fix this?

There are another set of changes coming out for this. If you want to test them prior to release send a private message.

I’ve got a log in error in the app, how do I solve it?