[RELEASE] NST Manager v5.0

thermostat
smartapp_hvac
dth_hvac
cameras
nest

(Jeff) #3039

Hello I’m new to the SmartThings community. I don’t know if my question is in this thread and it’s very long so I hopefully it’s not over kill. I just purchased the SmartThings/ADT security hub and was curious if I’m able Touareg this NST integration. I understand it’s a SmartThings device but I’m also aware it uses different firmware than the 2nd generation hub. Does anyone know? Thanks.

I just noticed something interesting in the the IDE. I only see this:

Motion Person is: inactive

I never see it go active. Full-ish log of an event…

2018-04-18 11:17:32.199 AM EDT
21 minutes ago DEVICE IMAGE image
2018-04-18 11:17:30.623 AM EDT
21 minutes ago DEVICE motionPerson inactive Motion Person is: inactive
2018-04-18 11:17:30.617 AM EDT
21 minutes ago DEVICE motion active Motion Sensor is: active
2018-04-18 11:16:45.532 AM EDT
22 minutes ago DEVICE motionPerson inactive Motion Person is: inactive
2018-04-18 11:16:45.524 AM EDT
22 minutes ago DEVICE motion inactive Motion Sensor is: inactive
2018-04-18 11:16:04.684 AM EDT
23 minutes ago DEVICE IMAGE image
2018-04-18 11:16:02.474 AM EDT
23 minutes ago DEVICE motionPerson inactive Motion Person is: inactive
2018-04-18 11:16:02.466 AM EDT
23 minutes ago DEVICE motion active Motion Sensor is: active

(phil) #3041

Man I would have a hard time doing without WebCore. That would be a killer for me.

I think people tend to overcomplicate things, especially those in this community with a lot of experience with home automation and that comes with a price.

Most of what we try and do is automate things as a convenience to us, our families and our lives and in the end, especially and specifically to SmartThings, for me personally, the time spent within SmartThings when devices no longer respond, Routines or Pistons fail, continuous downtime, etc… to me it just far outweighs what comvenience means to me. With my Nest, Hue, LIFX, and Wemo alone, in the last year I have not had a single incident tied to any of those subsystems and / or devices. Not a single one! Every issue I have had (which are few compared to a lot of community members) all stems within SmartThings. So going back to the basics and the essentials, what is absolutely a necessity that I have to have contained within my Smart Home and at the convenience that I don’t have to worry about a firmware upgrade or a mobile app update breaking functionality at any point in time.

:joy: It’s overkill and for those that have their home inundated and reliant on ST alone are the ones with the most issues and complaints. From an automation standpoint none of it is a necessity for me.

Does ST have the most flexibility and Automation capability and control over more device types than the competition, absolutely, without a doubt. But it is also one of the most unreliable and unstable solutions out there especially over the course of the last 6 months and for me that just defeats what my needs are. My Nest system alone without any little automations allows me to know what’s going on in my home at any given time and all my other little sub systems allow me to control devices and Automations withn those subsystems for the most part and they don’t incir outages or downtime. Now when you get into Z-Wave and Zigbee, yes, you need a Hub to support those integrations and for me, SmartThings is not the platform to support those devices regardless of how complex I can make those Automations.

We all have different needs and requirements and I’m not willing to ride this storm out for the next couple of years with SmartThings revamping everything. I’m looking from the outside in and what I see is a very rocky road moving forward with more peaks and valleys that I am willing to stick around for, with the exception of maybe a few things as to not lose touch with what ST is doing and following any progress they do make to try and achieve what we are all hoping they eventually do. I think ST is and will eventually be something great in the future, but the gaps for me don’t satisfy the requirements that I have for my home and what I want out of my HA hub. It’s great what I have learned and taking both the positive and negative and simplifying everything in a way that makes more sense to me. :slight_smile:

(phil) #3043

I think that I agree with you but luckily, and I should not say this too loud…things have been running fine for a while. Every once in a while I will see a light go on or a temp change and makes me wounder why that happen. Most of the time it was something that I put in place for a reason…just could not remember what that reason was. Thankfully I have been able to sleep in my own bed and not on the couch because my wife was pissed about how something was working. So again over the last few months so far so good and a lot of it I have you to thank. Now again, as you said, things will change and I may have to make changes but for now I think I am good. Also thanks to a few other tools I am able to reuse a lot of my X10 stuff and that is also working out great.

(Rhys) #3044

I just got the Nest Temp Sensors. I was hoping Nest would let us set up complex rules on what sensor to use when, but I knew better. Soooo, in the meantime, I was wondering of these sensors were data available to the API… and if we can one day expect NST Manager to read them.
The only thing I really want to do with it is to set nest to use the sensor with the hottest temp (during the summer) or the coolest temp (in the winter).

(Sean Donaghey) #3045

I just setup NST Manager this evening and it is showing temperature in Farenheit instead of Celsius. The Nest is in Farenheit, so I would assume the NST Manager should show it in the same unit? I can’t find anything anywhere where to fix it.

(jkp) #3046

Click on the More tab at the bottom of the ST app. Then click on the cog in the upper right-hand corner and see what is set for Temperature Scale.

(Mark Dee) #3047

Have been running this smart app pretty well for some time, but there’s one thing that annoys me that is probably easily fixed (I’ve just missed it!).

Have my default temp set as 19c, if the Nest sees that it’s already at this temp then it’s impossible to raise the temp further using the Nest app.

If I try raise it to say 21c via the Nest app, the heating kicks into action, but after afew moments it turns off again.

If I disable NST Manager, this behaviour doesn’t happen.

(Sean Donaghey) #3048

When you say “ST app” do you mean NST Manager? I do not see a More tab. I’m running version 5.3.5 of the NST Manager app.

(jkp) #3049

No, I mean the ST Classic app - the app that controls your hub.

(Sean Donaghey) #3050

That made things worse. All that does is change the screen display. It confuses google bigtime. When I now ask Google what the temperature is in the house, she thinks the current 70F temp (22.5C) in the house is now -5 farenheit (~22F). Not sure now where the problem exists. When I check the Nest device, it shows all temps in C.

Would there be a possibility to add notifications to Nest Protect when the power goes out.

Nest does create a message in their app but it does not trigger a notification on the phone. It would be nice to be able to set a SmartThings notification based on power loss/Power returned.

The message they present is:
“Heads-up:Power out”

Another notification would be Filter Reminders on Nest Thermostats which also shows up in messages.

NST Manager is utilizing almost every single Nest function/API that is available. Nest currently has not made any API available for:

1. Nest Secure (nothing for the alarm system)
  2. Nest Hello (nothing for the doorbell functionality) - Treated as a camera only.
  3. Nothing available for reading Filter notifications/reminders from Nest.
  4. No way to detect power outage for a device direct from Nest
  5. The new Remote Sensors
  6. Nest x Yale Lock

If it’s not available from Nest, NST Manager cannot provide the functionality.

I have seen nothing posted in the Developer or Community section as to when/if any of the above will be made available. :slight_smile:

https://developers.nest.com/documentation/cloud/get-started?nav=true

Nest Secure (Alarm System) and Nest Cam IQ outdoor and Nest Hello (Doorbell Camera) and Nest Temperature Sensor and Nest x Yale Lock

Can anyone else check and see if they see motionPerson ever go active?

(Sheri) #3054

I have been through all the set up, finally got to the Nst Manager in SmartApps on mobile but when it asks me to sign in to my Nest account, it keeps telling me there is a problem. I’ve double checked my password and username several times. I made sure I was logged out of Nest. Any suggestions?

(Ophir Bamani) #3055

is there a plan to add support for the Hello doorbell?

Three posts above yours …

(Ophir Bamani) #3057

sorry! I missed it.

Everything working for me except I am not getting motion/person events?

(Matt Dunning) #3058

Just installed NST Manager yesterday and it is great. The only issue I had with it is the new temp sensors released by Nest do not show up. I am fully aware that the app is getting all the info it can from Nest so it looks like Nest has not yet provided the temp information in the API. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get any information from Nest regarding updates to the API for all of the new nest products. I have looked online and spoken with Nest support but so far I have come up empty.