[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

Anything is possible. ST has had a rough week last week.
Try opening up the affected device and going to its preferences (where you change the label) and press Done.

This will perform a health repair.

Just curios, but since updating to NST 5, if I change temperature on the Nest, in the Nest app or in the Nest device in ST app the new temperature only last a couple of minutes at most. The old Nest Manager would keep the new temperature for a few hours from any of these sources.
I have 6 schedules and the last one should be a catch all:

Would this be the source of the problem? I added this one due to the suggestion in the wiki page.

Are you talking about manually changing the temp (like from the tstat itself) and it not being overridden by the automations?

@tonesto7 yes - from the thermostat itself, or from the Nest app or from the ST Things page in the app. I gave each of these a try last night but after a couple of minutes NST Manager changed the temp back to what it was on schedule for.
I do have Desired Setpoints set with a default too which I guess should work as a catch all instead of a specific schedule?

I’ve been so busy working on other features that i don’t get to test this out. I will confer with Eric and see what we can find

1 Like

If you have an active schedule, that will set the temp when it is active to that temperature.

If you override a schedule temperature (manually), it will last 4 hours, or until the next temp change, whichever occurs first.

So if you have times you don’t want any “default schedule”, you would remove the “catch-all” schedule.

If you look at IDE logging, you should be able to see what is changing the schedule, or by looking at the thermostat device in ST, as it has fields on what last changed the temps.

@E_Sch unfortunately that’s not happening for staying at new temp for 4 hours when overriding. I tried just now to change Nest temp in the Things in ST app. These are the logs:

As you can see, in the ST app I clicked on the temp up which went up in 0.5c increments. As soon as I stopped raising the temp it reset back to 18c

I’m about to give up on Nest (NST) Manager. It works for about a month and then breaks when the next release is done.

If I’m not constantly on top of the upgrades it fails.

The latest update to 5.0 is not working for me. I updated the device handlers, add the new app, update the NST app, etc… even deleted the devices. Now I cannot get NST App to get authorization from Works with Nest to “Accept” after I log in. It just instantly says “unable to connect to nest.com

This is too much of a headache to rely on I think.

I’m sorry you feel the need to go. We try our best to build a stable product on ST. In order to add new features sometimes things get broken. We have no control over how users install and setup there apps.
We can only do so much as the man in the middle of two cloud platforms.

The authorization error means we are running low on available user tokens because trying to get certified with Nest is a pain in the butt. They’ve been nitpicking every little thing and keep dragging it out longer and longer.

I will change over the token as soon as I can.

token has been updated

I very much appreciate how much work this must be.

Being not so much a developer, I’m seeking ease of use. For example an
automated way to update and publish from the repository so that the
integration doesn’t stop. This is something for SmartThings/Samsung to
address perhaps.

What’s interesting is that in this update, even if the Nest Thermostat is turned OFF manually the app actually turns it back on. Is this a bug? It was never like that in the past and can’t figure out a way to override that. I have separate thermostats for my AC and Heat and this has been an issue.

These automation issues are odd. It’s the one thing we didn’t mess with much (aside from moving to a different file)

I totally understand the sentiment and your frustration level when these things break or don’t implement or function the way you would expect them to. I have gone through my own headaches and frustrations about specific functionality and things that happen that you wouldn’t expect to happen.

I have only been working with the ST product for about a year and I also have a bunch of Nest Products integrated through NST Manager, and in the beginning when things would go awry, I would get just as frustrated as you are right now.

However, understanding a little more about who these developers are and the effort that they put in to try and bring functionality from a 3rd party product into ST that may or may not be officially supported and ALL the documentation and ongoing support for an application that is completely free to us (yes we run these apps knowing it is at our own risk and that we keep our fingers crossed that everything works 100% as we expected), I have a new found respect for the pains that they go through in trying to satisfy 100% of everyone’s needs. We all have different OS’s, Nest Configurations, hub versions, etc. etc… and trying to integrate all of the different components with all the complexities of each Nest product, it’s amazing that we have anything to integrate.

While Tony / Eric continue developing enhancements and bug fixes and rolling these out to the community and hopefully getting certification from Nest one day which in my opinion will open up a whole lot more for all of us, my personal opinion on what you should or shouldn’t rely on or expect from the integrated product at this point would be this: Having all of my Nest Devices successfully added as Things in ST and being able to get a glimpse of: Weather, Thermostat Temps, Protect and whether all is clear, viewing my cameras etc. and not using ST and NST Manager to try and make permanent changes to Nest Devices (IE: Modifying Thermostat temps, etc.). The only Automation piece that I do rely upon is that when my ST automatically goes into Away (Armed), that my Nest Thermostat is set to Away (which dictates what happens to the rest of my Nest environment - Cameras all turn on, ECO mode is set) and this works for me 100% of the time. So my overall opinion (and this is for me and my environment only) is to utilize the NST Manager integration as a convenience for being able to have everything consolidated / incorporated as a visual within ST and not rely upon trying to control ALL your Nest devices directly from ST. If you have issues with Temps reverting back to previous values or other type of issues where you are permanently trying to change values from ST that are being sent to Nest (outside of devices showing Offline - that sounds like a bigger issue), perform those functions directly on your Nest App. I understand that defeats the purpose of having ALL of your devices consolidated / contained in one place (me included) and be able to control from one centralized location, but not having this officially supported at this point and time and where these guys are trying to add more to bring us as much of an official like integration, don’t put all your expectations on 100% of all functionality expected to work bi-directionally between ST and Nest. As important as this integration between Nest and SmartThings is, I believe that this is only the beginning, so bear with some of these pains and frustrations and utilize this Smart App for what capability does work for you in your environment now. From an Average Joe / Jane consumer standpoint, I understand that this should have plug and play capability and not have to understand a whole lot of technical jargon to get this into the system. Maybe, if / when this gets certified and it becomes part of a standard part of the ST Marketplace, the simplicity and ease of use to configure will become much more streamlined and user friendly. These are just my personal opinions about what I have encountered and observed and my recommendation to look at this product as a nice compliment added to ST, not an End All Be All, at least not today (from where this started for me at 4.0 and where the product is now - It’s already night and day, and I can only see continued improvements from here).

Thanks for reading another novel :slight_smile:

Eric PM’d me and working on this issue with me. Thanks! Do you still plan on releasing a new update to fix the bugs?

To add to the above :wink:

We can’t fix what we can’t see or duplicate. We try to log any and all exceptions that we can so it’s easy for end users to spot problems.
I realize a majority of users are not coders but as many logs and details as you can share to help us track down the situation the better.
(Please use github issues : https://github.com/tonesto7/nest-manager/issues)

I am going to work on creating a beta program to help eliminate this stuff in the future.

I will certainly release an update once we have some fixes. Eric was gone all last week and I’ve been busy at work. Once we have fixes I will roll out the update

And I still owe you guys some ideas and layout for the structure and format of the documentation previously discussed that will hopefully in the future minimize questions and/or frustrations for installs, upgrades and issues encountered. Just been super busy with business so haven’t had a chance to get back to you on this but I will as soon as I can.

1 Like

for folks having the notification issues, I think I found and fixed it. Please update your
nest-manager and automations code from the repo if you are having this issue.

#NOTICE: We had to make some changes to how the clientId and clientSecrets are distributed. They are no longer in the code or appData file. So this means that if you with want to clear your existing auth token and recreate you will need to be running v5.0.5+.

###FYI: This change will have no effect on existing installs

##Updated: Manager: v5.0.5

• UPDATED: Made a change to token distribution (based on a Nest security suggestion).
  • FIXED: Constant overwriting of custom device names.

##Updated: Automations: v5.0.3

• FIXED: issue with notifications that was causing exceptions
  • FIXED: issue with duplicate notifications when NestMode automation is enabled

##Updated: Weather v5.0.3

• UPDATED: Added pressure and precipitation displays