*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Best Zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps

Hi,

Following some testing that Keen Home executed with my smartapps in their own lab, they’ve decided to promote my work on their SmartThings landing page:

My zoned heating/cooling solutions are getting recognized! More to come soon!

Regards,

2 Likes

Wow…that’s really great! Nice Job!

Hi again,

At this time of the year, you may want to know the following;

• My Zoned Heating/Cooling solutions (i.e. ScheduleTstatZones & ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapps) are now able to better handle the thermostat’s AUTO mode, which requires some special logic for controlling the vents properly.

Also, with the Advent Of Summer:

• ScheduleTstatZones & ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule can also enable ‘free cooling’ using a Big Fan or an ‘evoporative cooler’ when the ideal outdoor temp & humidity are met. They use an internal temp/humidity table to do so.

For more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

The smartapps are available for download at my store:

http://www.ecomatiqhomes.com/#!store/tc3yr.

Regards.

Today, in preparation for the hot summer days, I made the following changes to ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule and ScheduleTstatZones (my zoned Heating/Cooling Solutions for ST):

• Added a new configuration parameter in Schedule setup: useAlternativeWhenCooling.

The new logic allows use of alternative cooling in conjunction with cooling for a given schedule.

This may be required for certain schedules (ex. bedtime) when more cooling is required. By default, its value is false.

The smartapps are available now for download at my store:

http://www.ecomatiqhomes.com/#!store/tc3yr

Regards.

Hi,

My smartapps are now officially approved by Keen Home:

Regards,

1 Like

Hi,

Yesterday, I released a new version of ScheduleTstatZones & ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule that can enable ‘free cooling’ using a Big Fan, an evoporative cooler, or Damper Switch(es) when the ideal outdoor temp & humidity are met.

• The smartapps now use an internal temp/humidity table to do so or they can just use an outdoor temp threshold (configurable in General Setup page).
  • You can actually schedule when you want to use the alternative cooling (ex. at Nights only between 11hpm and 5am).

My Zoned Heating/Cooling solutions are available at my store for download:

Regards.

Hi,

I have been using the smartapp for a couples off days and wonder if it is possible to set up or modify it to partially open the vents depending on the temperature. I have 5 rooms 2 that are usually cooler than the target that are close (that is ok) but 3 that are higher than the target so the 3 vents are fully open and wonder if it is possible to set up levels where the hottest room has the vent open 100% the second warmer 75% and so on or may be at a level based on the delta from the target temperature

Hi @mperroud ,

If you want to set up a different temp threshold per room, ScheduleRoomTempControl is more appropriate for this requirement…

ScheduleTstatZones and ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule calculate the right vent level based on the temp differential (delta) of each room to the target setpoint(s) at the thermostat

Some of your requested features above would require some custom development and
some consulting fees are involved.

If you’re still interested, contact me at services@maisonsecomatiq.com

Regards.

I’ve got setzonewithschedule running and I’m curious, will my ecobee3 still control itself?, The 2 rooms where I have smart vents, I am using Aeon Multisensors to control those with the smartapp but I dont have smart vents in every room. I do have ecobee remote sensors in those other rooms. Will those ecobee sensors still report AND tell the thermostat to heat/cool?

BTW, this setup does seem to be pretty sweet! Nice job. @yvesracine

@corvetteii,

1. Will my ecobee3 still control itself?

The ecobee3 will still run its scheduled climates just like usual. EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule relies on the ecobee scheduling…

1. Will those ecobee sensors still report AND tell the thermostat to heat/cool?

Well, if you have enabled the ‘follow me’ sensors at ecobee, they still can, but I’d recommend to deactivate the follow me and only use the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapp as it can do the same, but with different occupied thresholds per room.

You would need to create all the rooms where your ecobee3 remote sensors are (on top of your rooms where your keen home vents are), and add the remote sensors as temp and motion sensors in those rooms.

The smartapp can then use all your rooms sensors (aeon multisensors and ecobee3 remote sensors) to average out the temp for adjusting the thermstat’s setpoints (just like the follow me feature).
Regards.

EDIT: You have to set the following flag to true in General Setup:

section(“Enable temp adjustment at main thermostat based on indoor temp/motion sensor(s) [optional, default=false]”)

Ok I will work on that. Hopefully that will keep my thermostat from changing to cooler set points just to cool one room.

Today, I made some changes to ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule to be able to change fanMinOnTime (minimum fan time in minutes per hour) in any schedules defined in the smartapp:

• You can then change the Minimum Fan Time as many times as you need during the day per your ecobee’s climates.
  • You need to enable fan ajustment in General Setup to do so.

The smartapp is available now for download at my store:

http://ecomatiqhomes.com/#!store/tc3yr

Regards.

Hi,

Today, I made some changes to ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule and ScheduleTstatZones so that switching to alternative cooling and back to cool or auto mode (when needed) would be done automatically when the right outdoor/indoor conditions are met:

• Both smartapps can either use an outdoor temp/humidity table to determine if the ideal conditions are met to use an evaporative cooler or damper switch(es).
  • The alternative cooling can also be triggered based only on an outdoor temp threshold when it’s more appropriate.
  • If the outdoor/indoor conditions are not met, then the smartapps can restore the original thermostat mode (cool or auto) to ‘cool’ the house in a more standard way.

The above features are added on top of all the features available. For the list of features and screen shots, refer to the top of this thread:

ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule and ScheduleTstatZones are available now for download at my store.

Regards.

Now I just wish keen made square vents as all my cents are square and I think are 12x12

Hello,
I bought the TStatZone app. However, I do not wish it to change the thermostat settings just vent only, it that possible. Or should I have bought the other app?

thanks,

Chin

@cslee,

ScheduleRoomTempControl allows you to set the vents without changing the thermostat setpoints.

Let me know if you prefer to switch to the other app. Please email me at services@maisonsecomatiq.com.
Regards,

Hi @egobuster1,

Refer to

for more options regarding the vent sizes.

Regards.

Today, I sent a new minor version of ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule and ScheduleTstatZones with subpages and new icons in the Schedule Setup Page to all my current contributors.

This way, there are less input parameters in the page and it’s more user friendly!

Here are some screenshots:

The smartapps are available for download at my store:

Regards.

With the latest 6.6.2 the vents are being cycle even without the system running. If I’m reading it correctly, it’s every minute that the vents switch from 10% to 25%.

Hi, could you send me an email at services@maisonsecomatiq.com
with the complete description of your issue and the name of the smartapp you’re using?

You should also send me screenshots of your configuration in Running Schedule Config page, so
that I can check your configuration.

The latest code has not changed anything related to the vents cycle processing.

P.S. Could it be another external app this is controlling your vents? Look at the list of installed smartapps under the ‘hamburger’ menu.

Regards.