*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Best Zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps

cool thx for your help. will take a look at it

I just released a new version this past week of my popular zoned heating/cooling smartapps (ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule & ScheduleTstatZones for any other ST connected thermostats) with additional features for better air circulation.

- The smartapp is now able to turn on/off switches linked to big fan(s) or damper(s) when the temp differential in the zone(s) has reached a threshold set in Schedule(s). The fan temp threshold can be different from one schedule to the next for more flexibility.

As a reminder, the smartapps are also able to automatically control the fan mode & speed of any room/zone thermostats based on the temp differential between the room’s ambient temperature and the avg temperature for the schedule zone(s).

The new version (v7.7.7) is available for download at my store.

P.S. All my contributors who have followed the updates procedure should have received the update by now. Otherwise, check your spam or trash folders.

P.S. All my contributors who have followed the updates procedure should have received the update by now. Otherwise, check your spam or trash folders.

Regards.

Does the application make use of presence sensors and location mode?

All I want to do is find a more simple way to:

1. Setup a schedule of temperatures for 2 thermostats (independent of each other)
  2. Follow the schedule when people are home
  • I occasionally work from home, so if I am home after a certain time, cool my office
  1. Ignore the schedule when away and default to a specified away temp
  2. Use IFTTT/Google Home to manually kickoff the sleeping temperature (ie, Google, I’m going to bed)

Hi,

First, which brand(s) of thermostats are you using? This will determine if your need ScheduleTstatZones (for any ST connected thermostat with standard capabilties) or ecobeeSetZoneWithScheudule (specially designed for ecobee thermostats)

Second, yes,the above smartapps can indirectly use your presence sensors when they trigger the ST hello/location mode (ex. Away, Home, Night). This can be done when you configure the appropriate ST routine in the ST mobile app.

About your requirements:

1- When you say "Follow the schedule when people are home", you mean the schedule in the smartapp or the schedule at the thermostat unit?

The smartapps will follow their own schedules, so you need to define a Home schedule within the chosen smartapp and associate it to the ST hello mode “Home”.

3- The same for "Ignore the schedule when away and default to a specified away temp"

The smartapps will follow their own schedules, so you need to define the “Away” schedule within the chosen smartapp and associate it to the ST hello mode “Away”.

4- Use IFTTT/Google Home to manually kickoff the sleeping temperature (ie, Google, I’m going to bed)

This will be done by triggering the right ST routine. The smartapp is not involved here except that the schedule associated to the ST hello mode (ex. Night) will be trigerred after.

The way the smartapps are designed is that:

• You create & configure all your thermostat schedules (with start/end times) within the smartapp for Home, Away, Night , any other custom ones…
  • You may (or not) associate a given schedule to your location modes (Home, Away, Night, etc.)

Regards.

FYI, In the past 3 years, I have built the ScheduleTstatZones & ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapps which allow you to create zones inside your home for more targeted heating/cooling.

In the latest version that I’ve just released (v7.9.9a), I modified the above smartapps to be able to control more effectively any portable coolers/heaters, split/window units based on My HvacUnit or the remotec DTHs. For example, the smartapps can determine the best fan speed based on the max temp differential allowed for the zone(s).

For more details on My Flair HvacUnit, refer to:

In the ScheduleTstatZones & ecobeeSetZonesWithSchedule smartapps, you can configure your rooms/zones/schedules. You then associate your zone/room thermostats to your zones and schedule your zones during the day.

In your home, you don’t always want to heat/cool all your rooms. In the evenings or at night for instance, you may want to direct more heat to your bedrooms.

The smartapps let you choose a master thermostat which controls other slave (zone/room) thermostats in terms of mode and setpoints. The thermostats need to follow the ST standard capabilities.

You can also define enter some delta temp adjustments to make some specific zoned rooms cooler or hotter. You can also use your room’s motion sensor to take into account if the room is occupied or not. The occupied threshold can be defined on a room by room basis for more flexibility.

There are many other features, refer to the ST community wiki for more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule
And the following ST community thread:

You can download the code at my store.

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

Hi, I’ve just released today a new “smarter” version of My ecobee device (v5.9.9j) with added capabilities for smart rule engines (CoRE, webCoRE, smartRules) in order to be able to distinguish the following events:

• Manual overrides at the thermostat vs. new climate/comfort changes made in one of my smartapps (ex. ecobeeChangeMode or ecobeeSetClimate). The attribute to be used is called "programScheduleName’ and it’s available in MyEcobee device for subscription in rule engines.

• This way, the new version of the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapp (v7.8) can now use the new events to know when it needs to replace its own setpoint baselines for smarter temp/vent adjustments.

The new code is available at my store for download.

P.S. The code has been distributed to all my active contributors.
Regards.

Hi,

Please note that the new version of my zoned heating/cooling solutions (ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule & ScheduleTstatZones) (v7.8.3) can now set the Flair Vents room’s setpoint using the scheduled heating/cooling setpoints set in the smartapps.

You’d need to assign your vents to your rooms (RoomsSetup>RoomVentSettings), and then your rooms to your scheduled zones to control different rooms’ setpoints throughout your home. The smartapps is now able to detect any Flair devices (pucks, vents) inputted in the smartapps to schedule the right setpoints according to your rooms/zones/schedules requirements.

The new code can be downloaded at my store:

P.S. The new code has been distributed to all my active contributors.
Regards.

Hi,

I’ve just released new major versions of my zoned heating/cooling solutions (ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule & ScheduleTstatZones v8.0 ) and ScheduleTempControl (v4.0) with the option to create new virtual Zone Devices under ST for easier control of your targeted heating/cooling zones inside your home!!

Here is the new virtual zone UI:

For more details on the zone control possible, refer to the ST community wiki (sections look and feel and configuration):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Look_.26_Feel
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Use_Case_.2319:_I_want_to_manually_control_my_zone.28s.29_using_virtual_Zone_devices_under_ST

The new code can be downloaded at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

P.S. The new code will be soon distributed to all my active contributors.

Regards.

3 Likes

Hi,

The new versions of my zoned heating/cooling smartapps (ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule v8.0.3, ScheduleTstatZones v8.0.3, ScheduleRoomTempControl v4.0.3) provide the following new features:

• They can now process the motion events in real time (according to your sensor’s refresh rate) for your virtual zone(s)
  • You can now set a delay in seconds before setting the vents when your HVAC is running (heating,cooling, fan only).

You can download the new versions at my store:

http://www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

P.S. The new versions have been distributed to all my active contributors.
Regards.

1 Like

I just got my setup up and running with smartthings, ecobee3, keen vents and ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule. It’s all working pretty well. I still need to play with it some more but the vents seem to open and close appropriately based on the room temps. Thanks yvesracine for this great smart app!

1 Like

I look forward to trying the new version. I just got two new keen vents - one for the nursery and one for the master bedroom. Using ScheduleRoomTempControl has stabilized the temperatures in the nursery which previously was always colder than master bedroom. Great improvement and my wife is finally happy about the temp in the nursery.

1 Like

Current Configuration.

Ecobee Thermostat that has 3 comfort settings - Home, Away, Sleep
I have these 3 comfort settings set up in a schedule that I defined in the Ecobee Software.
2 Keen Smart Vents (1 per bedroom)
1 zone - Main Floor

While going through the setup process everything is working fine until I get to the Schedules piece. When I click on schedules I only have one option; Null. I have read your wiki and this thread multiple times. I have made sure I’m not clicking back or anything outside of the app specific buttons. I’m confused on this piece.

I have a 2 bedroom house; 1 keen vent in each bedroom, Living room has 2 regular registers (not keen vents). 4 registers total. I think it should be 1 zone, 3 rooms. At least that is how I have tried.

Any idea where I am making mistakes along the setup process?

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi, I don’t have any logs, but based on your input, you’re probably using my smartapp with the ST stock device which is not compatible with any of smartapps.

You need to remove any other ecobee implementation from your ST account as this is confusing for you and use My ecobee Device.

P.S. If you have any other questions, please send them to services@maisonsecomatiq.com as it’s easier for me to keep track of your questions in gmail conversations.
Regards

I have had your app since Nov 2017, and have to say it has made a great improvement in the heating in our home.

1 Like

New NEST devices for my zoned heating/cooling solutions!!:

The code can be downloaded at:

https://www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Great work! I upgrade from an older version of ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule, to the new V8.1.4. Lot’s of changes, and new functionalality, easy upgrade and works great. I have 20 keen vents all being driven by two ecobee’s and being controlled by your app. Very cool! THX

1 Like

Hi,

Just to let my contributors know, I have new versions of my zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps available at my store: ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (v8.2.1) and ScheduleTstatZones (v8.2) which correct some delta temp issues when applied to the zone’s setpoints.

You can download the new versions at my store using the original selffy link.

The new code is available at my store.
Regards.

1 Like

Hi,

Just to let my contributors know, I have new versions (v8.2.5) of my zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps available at my store :

• ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule and ScheduleTstatZones which now send the required on() command for some portable heaters/coolers/splits (as room thermostats) when they are part of the scheduled zones.

You can download the new versions at my store using the original sellfy link.

The new code is available at my store.

Regards.

ScheduleTstatZones is awesome and thanks for putting it together. I have a question, or maybe a feature request? I’m not sure. Currently I run a Mitsu heat pump and am having one issue because of it being a Hyper-Heat inverter series and the mitsu tstat trying to manage the temp beyond just what the setpoint is. It will stay running at a low speed to try and maintain the setpoint.

I have looked high and low for a place to disable this feature and no matter what installer settings I play with, it doesn’t change. This causes issues for me because it will overheat a zone (and overcool I assume) due to the heat pump continuously running even though the temp reading and the setpoint are equal on the tstat and it reporting to smartthings the unit is off. I have noticed that if the setpoint is a degree or two below the current temp reading on the tstat it will shut the unit off completely.

Is there a way an option can be added that when a zone reaches the set temperature that it drops the setpoint of the tstat below or above a couple of degrees until it needs to heat or cool again?

Again thanks for all your hard work. I appreciate it!

@Hollajandro,

I’d recommend to check in your manufacturer’s manual or call its support line before making attempts to correct this behavior thru automations. The reason is that you should not override any critical settings that can be natively corrected by the firmware embedded with the equipment.

My smartapp was designed to work with any ST connected thermostats as long as they follow the standard capabilities (thermostatOperatingState, thermostatMode, heatingSetpoint, coolingSetpoint, etc.).

I don’t want to start customizing it for each combination of HVAC/thermostat as there are too many out there (just for the room thermostats, I already support more than 200 model/brand variations thru My HVAC Unit DTH with Flair)…

If you still want to do this kind of automation, please refer to a smart rule engine like CoRE/WebCore/SmartRules…
Regards.