*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Best Zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps

I recently started using your Smartthings App - zoned heating/cooling with 6 Keen Smart Vents and 2 Samsung Motion/Temperature Sensors for a recently finished basement. My Furnace Thermostat is on the first floor and does a great job of keeping that floor at 70 degrees, however; my basement temperature would fluctuate. With your app and the 2 Samsung Motion/Temperature Sensors, I can keep the basement from becoming over-heated (I set the temperature for heating to 70 degrees for the 2 zones I created and use the Samsung sensors to read that temperature.)

I am thinking of purchasing an Ecobee 3 Thermostat to put in the basement (mainly as a way to allow people to think they are setting the basement thermostat.) This would replace me setting a threshold temperature in the Smart Things app you developed (I assume it would read the value from the Ecobee 3 thermostat setting)?

I have a 24VAC wall plug to power the Ecobee 3 and will pair it to Smart things along with the remote sensor it comes with. I will uses this along with your app to control the Keen Smart Vents in my basement. Since I have a Carrier Infinity furnace, I am stuck with their controller (communicating system) so I can’t directly use the Ecobee 3 to remotely trigger the furnace (probably would not want to either). I can have the Ecobee 3 trigger the G-terminal to turn on the fan of my system (my Infinity Thermostat Controller has a setting that will trigger the furnace fan when R-G is energized - thus I can make the Ecobee think it is activating my furnace even though it will only be activating the fan which will circulate air between the floors).

Your app was easy to configure and very intuitive. It works great for my purposes. I also have an oil-filled heater with a digital thermostat in the basement for days like yesterday when it hit 80 degrees outside (it is 20 degrees today) and the furnace is not throwing heat into the basement.

I tried the Keen app (with their bridge) but prefer your App with the Samsung Smart Things Hub.

Thanks!
Mark

1 Like