[OBSOLETE] Netgear Nighthawk Router

I’ve uploaded the version with traffic meter graph.
It’s not working great, needs some fine tuning.

finally traffic meter is giving logical outputs.
please check and let me know if it works for you.
I’m open to any suggestions on the graph area.

edit: updated first post with new screenshot

Following this post with a lot of interest. @WB70, I too would like to automate my router if it is reliable. Do I take your comments to mean you are now working on DTH to share that will allow this?

1 Like

That’s affirmative. :slight_smile: I have already isolated the additional 5ghz bands (guest.1 and main.1) separately.

When using the current DH that has been presented to us, we are able to see the 2.4ghz, and the 5.2ghz bands from our routers. So I played hell trying to get the 5.1ghz bands which by themselves I was able to successfully do.

I will be working on merging in all 6 bands (3 guest, 3 main) into one.

The layout will be really clean and easy to read as well. O will throw a couple screenshots over later today. I will also be using different icons and working on the broadcast feature as well for all 6 bands. Its pretty difficult though with 5.1 and 5.2 making roughly the same Posts to the Router.

Also found a major flaw with the Guest bands. If anyone has this DH installed, add a password to any of your Guest Bands and then Enable it. The SSID concatenates both the SSID and Password into the field on the Device for that band. Going to have to figure out a way to parse that information to remove the password when the data is returned.

This is only going to be compatible with the Tri-band routers (r8000, r8500). I may break this down into 3 sets of DHs though so anyone can use:

All Routers

• 2ghz -Guest
  • 2fhz - Main

Only 8000, 8500

• 5.1ghz -Guest
  • 5.1ghz - Main

All Routers

• 5.2ghz -Guest
  • 5.2ghz - Main

Haven’t decided on finality of this yet. Whatever I end up doing, I will provide a full set of installation instructions though for whichever direction.

Here’s a screenshot of the working 5.1ghz bands. Like I mentioned above, I am going to attempt to have all 6 bands in the DTH as I mentioned above. The icon on the left will be changed to an actual wifi icon and there will be an additional icon/button to the right of each SSID to turn on/off Broadcasting of the SSID.

I will start a new topic later in the week.

was anyone able to get the traffic graph to render?

Outstanding! I have an R8000 so I will follow your results.

I can probably jump in on the coding for dual-band if you need the hand (either @mrmrmrmr or @WB70). I finally finished a big work project, so I have a few days I can spare.

Its a Tri-Band router (3 guest and 3 main). It just adds to the layers of complications :slight_smile:

I have worked through most of the foundational layout. I’m having one issue with the 2 5ghz Guest Bands though. The logic is setup correctly but because the SOAP calls/returns are different than the Main Wifi bands, it consolidates all of the information when it returns both bands and in the same routine it modifies the Name to the same band. Just need some time to work through it. Going to have to probably rewrite some of that to prevent the duplication from happening. Here’s a sneak peek.

1 Like

I also have the X6 R8000 DualBand and I’m pretty interested to learn if you need a hand

I would like to add LED control on the app. But I couldn’t find the SOAP API command for it.
Any ideas if it is supported ?

Out of the 70 or so commands that I do have, that isn’t one of them. However the fact that it can be done through Admin and not just on the Router itself, it has to be there. I haven’t tested for that yet, but there are other features that you can’t do through the Genie App (ie Broadcast, disable/ enable main 2.4 and 5ghz bands), that you can do through Admin.

FYI: when you login to your router via url (what I refer to as Admin), that is also referenced as Netgear Genie :slight_smile:

Just FYI when it comes to the tri band, there are multiple 5ghz bands that are returned within a single command “5GGuestAccessEnabled” for one, and this returns both bands so this creates issues when setting values on the ST side. The session IDs being sent with the commands are irrelevant (for the dual band router), however I am going to be testing using different session IDs for the tri band so that when the response is made, the “ConfigurationFinished” process knows the difference between session A and session B so that I can delineate the different 5ghz bands.

If anyone is using your DH and has a tri band router and they Disable the 5ghz band (which is the 2nd 5ghz band on the router), this will change from the 2nd band name to the first 5ghz band when the configuration is complete. So in the device in Things it now reflects the other 5ghz band so the person cannot reenable the 5ghz band they just disabled. They have to go directly to the router admin to be able to enable it.

You may want to put that in your original post as a disclaimer so that only dual band routers are used with this DH.

if you can provide me the request and responses (text) for the 3 band routers, I can have a look at them and integrate them in my DH.

I have those and will provide later. There isn’t an equivalent one to one ratio for all commands though. The guestaccessenabled is shared, meaning it returns both guest bands, so this screws things up bad tied in so that it reverts the name to the other available band within the DH / Device. I’m looking at the DH with a different approach by assigning actual names to the tiles versus allowing the SOAP commands to dictate what is returned. The other issue which is out of our control is when enabling / disabling a band whether it be a guest or main, that entire frequency is impacted. If you disable 5ghz guest, the 5ghz main band is temporarily disabled while that command is executed. This happens from the Genie as well. This is how it works with the r8500 anyway. Just wanted to throw that out there so others are aware, that they can be disconnected temporarily.

FYI:

I am still working on this piece, but for Broadcast:

SetSSIDBroadcast
Set5GSSIDBroadcast
Set5G1SSIDBroadcast

“<” NewSSIDBroadcast>0</NewSSIDBroadcast “>”

Same naming convention applies for other commands - Not for every one of them though.

GuestAccessNetworkInfo
5GGuestAccessNetworkInfo
5G1GuestAccessNetworkInfo

I need to do further research. I am breaking things down into separate DHs for each of the 3 bands to see what commands all work across each to see if I can individualize the Names returned to a single value (1 band per SOAP command). This would alleviate the band names switching from using a single set of commands. If done in a single DH, the DH needs to be defined so that 3 separate processes are defined when GetAll executes or each of the Enable / Disable commands.

this temporary disabling of the whole band is by design. It is also same for the 2 band routers like mine. You can’t do anything about it. You are trying to shape everything as you like but we are bound to the hardware developers. accept it…
and it’s not a big deal. it’s just 10 seconds (at least in mine)

:joy: I have no issue with it. I was just sharing information about it. Accept what?

I have worked around the issue with the shared commands returning both bands within 5ghz. I am creating 3 separate Device Handlers that will contain both their respective Guest and Main. People with a dual band router will be able to use these as well, but they will only create 2 of the 3 DHs.

2.4ghz: (All Nighthawk)
2.4 Guest
2.4 Main

5g1: (tri band only)
5.1 Guest
5.1 Main

5g2: (All Nighthawk)
5.2 Guest
5.2 Main

I will post sometime next week.

Here’s a sample from one working Band. I am still working on Icon images.

Screenshot_20180201-140948~2

Screenshot_20180201-141000~2

This DH will not be available for the dual band routers. It has specific SOAP commands for the 5.1 band.

The 5.2 band (that I call it) is the same as the 5ghz band in the dual band routers.

using custom images , is a good idea. it makes the view fancy. but is it taking it from a 3rd party URL ?
what happens if the host server is down ?