[OBSOLETE] Netgear Nighthawk Router

No mate. That’s not selfish. That’s how most of these projects start in the first place. 90% of the code I write at home is for my own purposes. :slight_smile:

You do what you feel is best for your project. I completely understand that.

I’m cool with the fact that you wanted to do this for yourself. That’s perfectly ok, but unless it’s polished and bugs ironed out and knowing that it has a complete set of instructions and it works for the majority of people out here trying to get it to work, I’m going to bow out.

This thing has the potential of being able to create a separate device for each Band and then being able to use WebCoRE for example to shutdown one band when it’s dinner time. Just an example, and one of the reasons I was really interested in getting this to work in ST.

I wish you the best of luck. :v:

1 Like

LOL… Yeah, I’ve been saying that for years… I just reset my router, so… still on port 80.

@WB70
you can still work on it and shape it as you like. So why are you abandoning ?

Not abandoning. Just letting you do your thing with it. When sharing something like this with the community, I would want to focus on getting this to work for everyone period and figure out the cause of all the issues that most people are having and have a full documented process with visuals and troubleshooting steps. What you think is simple, isn’t for everybody else and there are things that I’m sure in your router are configured differently that also need to be applied but we are not aware of yet. I have seen one or two people with your exact model setup that have it working. I wouldn’t share something with the community that I wasn’t sure would work for the majority of people out here with their Nighthawk Routers, but that’s just me.

When you decide that you are ready to apply your focus solely on getting this working for everyone so that it can be a great shared Device Handler / SmartApp, I will gladly jump back in.

But for now, this is something for yourself and I have no issue with that whatsoever. I just don’t think without knowing why the majority of people can’t setup what you call a simple DH and Device and it begin working immediately, it shouldn’t be shared with everyone. This tells me that a lot of work needs to be done before I invest anymore of my own time troubleshooting.

I hope you get all the functionality and bells and whistles working for yourself.

It’s all good. :slight_smile:

And for what its worth, I receive the exact same Error Message as @Core_Phx and @jjslegacy repeatedly in IDE (Live Logging):

Live Logging Screenshot:

List of Events under Netgear Device in IDE:

That’s multiple people with the same issue.

I think I’m going to try this out this weekend. I have a Netgear R8000 (although i might be replacing it with a ubiquity setup soon) so hopefully i can get it working.

It’s the port in the device setup. Change it from port 80 to 5000 and it should work. It did for me at least.

1 Like

LMFAO! And to not have that in any part of the instructions. Good luck to anyone knowing this.

Thanks Bill.

FYI: For anyone that using Port 80 (Hex = 0050) and you are seeing the same error messages as posted in the screenshot in my previous post, change the Port for Network ID in IDE (Example of 192.168.1.1:5000 = c0a80101:1388 in IDE) and change the Port in the Device under Things to 5000.

Then go Open the Device Under Things and press the “Get Attached Devices” and it will slowly return everything. Continue to hit Refresh until everything is updated.

Because I have an R8500 this is a tri band router that has 1 2.4ghz and 2 5ghz bands. I might take this code and strip it down into individual Device Handlers for each of the individual Bands (Guest 2.4, Guest 5.1, Guest 5.2, 2.4, 5.1, 5.2). This way I can have 6 individual Devices so that I can automatically control whether or not the Guest Bands are turned off or on (based on friends and family being over - when Modes change in the Home), rather than a ton of Tile values listed under 1 single device. Going to take a look and see what is available via webCoRE first as for values go for this Switch.

No matter what, I need to duplicate the code for both the 5ghz Band and Guest 5ghz Bands, so that both Bands are recognized. When I get a little time, I will update the Device Handler with this additional code. Then you can have 2 separate Device Handlers, one for people with triband Nighthawks and then the rest on the current DH.

Once I do the latter with the 5ghz bands, I will throw it back over the wall to you @mrmrmrmr. :slight_smile:

I had to look at a Python project that does kind of the same thing to figure it out. Lol

But, now people will know. :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

It works! thanks!

Thank you for your support, it’s now working, it was the formnat of the IP address and the port (5000).
I don’t know if it could help you but I found a javascript module who works to control the router and add a traffic meter:

glad to know that it works for some of you after figuring out that the problem was the port.

I am on traffic meter. Adding a graph now. Will publish later tonight.

Have you looked to see if the option of broadcasting SSID on and off can be done? This would be an option that would be great for the Guest bands. If you have guests over and have the Guest bands turned on, but not broadcasting and they have never connected to the network, you have the option of temporarily broadcasting the SSID so they can see it and connect to it, and then it can be turned off again.

if this is already available on Genie app, it can be doable.
But I didn’t see such function on Genie.
Btw, why do you keep Guest SSID broadcasting off ?
I leave it on always…

I have Guest Networks disabled, period. When I do enable them, I have broadcasting turned off. Unless a friend or family member has never connected, there is no reason to ever broadcast. That is just one more security issue to worry about. If you are broadcasting (in my case 6 different SSIDs), that’s just so much more of a vulnerable aspect as anyone within range can see them and potentially start trying to hack. No reason to have them permanently displayed to the public.

1 Like

good for you :wink:
I also don’t understand the reason for keeping 3 guest networks.
anyway, these are your very specific reasons. if you want you can add to the device handler when you have time…

I don’t keep 3 guest networks. I allow Guests who are on devices that only allow for 2.4ghz and one 5ghz for those who can.

The broadcasting function is not part of the Genie App, but neither is Disabling and Enabling the Main 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, but you are able to perform those functions.

I am going to take your advice and I will build a Device Handler for the Tri-band Nighthawk Router (r8500) with a different set of functions. Appreciate what you have brought to the table so far. Its great. Take care.

1 Like

I believe you can do better than me. I am not a coder. I am just trying to learn by copy-pasting others’ codes.
and I really don’t have spare time to develop for others. I just shared this so that people could take and develop further if they have the will.
Btw, I am sure many other people would have other requests to add to the DH. However we can’t add all features to a simple DH. It would require too much space for buttons :blush:

Trust me i hear ya. Although I am a developer, it’s an entirely different industry, so I try to stay out of venturing down the road in ST when I don’t have to.

With the framework you have in place, it’s outstanding, so kudos to you.

I am going to isolate things to the control of the bands only (on/off), broadcasting (enable / disable) and allow for the changing of channels. I’m not going to incorporate all devices attached or meters or anything.

I’m looking for people to be able to write Automations that will allow them to initiate the turning on or off of bands based on presence / arrival of family or friends. I will not use the app to access the Router devices (bands). The ST app is ugly. It’s all about being able to automate via webCoRE / Routines, and also usable in ActionTiles.

And it’s not about doing it better. You have done an outstanding job here. We just have a different set of requirements and use cases for it, and you opened the door for that possibility, and for that, I thank you! :grinning: