[OBSOLETE] Netgear Nighthawk Router

It definitely opens a door though.

2018 Christmas wish list :smile:

lolā€¦ mine is 2 years oldā€¦ time for an upgrade

Stealth bomber! I have had this for a little over a year. No need for some mesh wifi system. House is about 2400sq feet. Canā€™t find a dead spot. Thereā€™s a newer model R9000, but looking at comparison, this one has more. Pretty damn solid product! About 2 to 3x larger than most routers, but itā€™s a great art piece as well :slight_smile:

cf

On one of the 5ghz bands from my phone:

2 Likes

you mean hiding the ssid ? thatā€™s available in the API.
But if I try to add all available options , it would really be a very huse DTH. We have to stick with a small subset of features which are most usable. Why would you hide the SSID ?

Btw, feel free to add to my code, if you have some ideas. It is public.

I think you should try this DTH. I believe at least the available options will work on your router. You just wonā€™t be able to manage 3rd wifi band.
try it and let me knowā€¦

Yep yep. It could become quite large with all that functionality available. I hear you. Just throwing out thoughts and ideas because this all could be quite powerful. When I get some time, Iā€™m going to dig deeper into all of this. Iā€™m thinking with what you have started and what is available, a nice SmartApp around all of this might need to become a necessity.

Are you sure the LED Control Settings is not supported? As well as being able to manually pressing the buttons on the router for the LEDs, there is also an LED Control Settings in the Admin Panel under Advanced Setup. Well at least on my router.

I will setup and let you know

100%
I have the led control button on the router and through web page. But it is not available in Genie app.
I use Genie app to learn API commands. (capturing traffic from the app to router)
Unfortunately, Netgear did not disclose/document the API commands anywhere.

When I execute this URL from my browser, I receive the following:

404 Not Found
The resource you have requested is not available.

The R8500 Remote Management Access is enabled and my admin/password is correct.

Have others got this working with the Netgear R8500 Nighthawk?

1 Like

Same exact results as @kurtsanders on my R8500.

Plus if we are using the internal IP while on the network, I donā€™t know why we would need the remote access enabled anyway.

I even tried using the actual remote access url/port and put the hex equivalent in my dth. All commands from device show as sent, but nothing ever registers to router. Whether I use the 192.168.0.1 with NO Port or the remote access url and port.

I also made modifications using the Genie like changing a channel on one of the bands and then went to the Logs in the Router Admin console and there is no API calls to be found in those logs.

If you can give a detailed summary of how you identified the /soap/server_sa/ as being a valid url for your router and what requests via genie you are making and where you are able to see those API calls in the logs, please share that info and we will help investigate. I have a theory that the R8500 is dramatically different in the way it sends or makes calls. Hope Iā€™m wrong on that.

1 Like

Itā€™s less than a day old. We are the guinea pigs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy you made it! Welcome to the device handler maker family!

I agree with your conclusions.

I am not sure if remote access is required but it might be the parameter which opens SOAP interface.
I identified /soap/server_sa/ capturing packets from my PC (Genie app) to the router.
So for your R8500 , it might be some other URL.

Please try capturing packets from your PC . Wireshark may help with that. Then please check the TCP streams to your router. You should find an HTTP request with SOAP request in it.
If you can not analyze the trace yourself, you can send it to me.

and please do not leave the port empty. It should be 80.

Iā€™d like to add the traffic meter feature to the DTH.
However, just giving the numbers taken from router is not helpful.
I want to calculate difference and if possible draw a graph of the traffic.

How can I poll the info periodically ?

and , is it possible to draw a graph ?

thanks.

Not directly with SmartThings capabilities. You can send data to google sheets and chart it. Or there is a google APIā€¦

OLD/deprecated
https://developers.google.com/chart/image/docs/gallery/chart_gall

This can draw chart from URL and return as imageā€¦
https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=bvs&chd=t:1,1,1,1,12,17,1,2,1,1,1|5,5,5,5,6,90,50,32,23,14,12&chds=a&chxt=x,y&chs=320x240&chxl=0:|12|6|12|6|12&chof=gif&chm=D,FF0000,1,0,5,1&chco=0000FF,EEEEEE&chxr=0,0,50|0,0,100|2,0,50

Or NEW APIā€¦

actually, Iā€™ve just found out that there is a htmlTile option. With it you can put the HTML in the groovy code.
I wonder if it would be possible to run a javascript inside it which plots a simple graph.

but before that I have to learn how to poll values periodically and save them.

how can I periodically poll data and save ?
I believe I have to save 144 value (10 minute periods for 1 day)

So I have to poll the data every 10 minutes and keep only last 144 values.

there is a working code but still not perfect. I could not figure out how to refresh when device is installed or updated.

You might want to look at another approach (maybe HTML Content rendered in another url that opens in browser). This will only work in the IOS side of the house. With Android, when you open the device the first time, the HTML Content will load, but after that, the content will be blank and you will just have a spinner. The only way to reload the content on Android is to force stop the ST app and go back in to that device. This is a known issue.

1 Like