[REMOVED] Nest Manager 4.0

Hi I’ve seen a couple references in various threads to away vs auto away. My understanding is that Nest away mode will ignore any scheduled temp changes, vs auto away which still allows scheduled programming to commence despite being away (which in turn allows functionality like early on etc. to function).

I think Nest Manager cannot actually set Nest to Auto away, it can only do the equivalent of if a user were to physically set the nest to away. I’ve heard some users disable the nest auto away function and simply let Nest Manager manage the temp though it’s automation function - though this seems to defeat the purpose of the smart thermostat.

Basically I am trying to achieve the Nest going into away (or low temp mode) as soon as we leave the house every morning, but still execute early on so the house is reasonably warm when we return at night,

If I just let auto away do it’s thing, I notice it takes several hours for the Nest to actually notice we are gone in the morning = wasted energy. This is despite having set the Nest app to use our phones to determine presence.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Hi,

Any update on the token review I just received a new rest since the old ones wireless died so I decided to start from scratch with reinstalling the nest manager but just realized the token issue and now I can’t login.

Well it’s coming. We have a list of changes they would like before they will approve.

I created another token so give the install a try again.

Thank you I am up and running once again

I updated to 4.4.2 last night (after already being on V4) and I just received a warning message when my wife left the house saying, “Warning: Nest home away Mode is in away and the thermostat is not in ECO”

It has always worked fine before then. Did I do something wrong when I updated or is this a known issue?

Just wanted to report that NM is setting my therm to Eco when we leave and ST changes to Away. perfect. But it is not removing the Eco when we return and the house goes to Home.

Did I set something up wrong?

Turn off the “Notify When Away and NOT in Eco Mode” option in the Location Watchdog Automation. That will stop the notifications.

Ok, just did that - thanks. Assuming that it’s a bug in the release?

I’m getting 401 errors in the log and can’t communicate with the tstat. Seems like I have a token error with Nest. How do I go about correcting this? I removed it and reinstalled in ST. I’ve gone through and double checked the install procedure. Everything seems fine to my uneducated eye. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you running the latest code available?

Yes. I believe so. If I check the smartapps and device handlers for updates from github both are blank. I updated to 4.4.2 this morning.

Make sure you are running the latest device code as well

I believe I have done that. How do I double check.

Thanks for your help on this BTW. I really love the app. Ties everything together so well.

2 Likes

If you are using git integration then just goto My Device Handlers in the IDE and look to see if any of the Nest Devices are purple or red. That will indicate that there are updates to the code

I am using gethub and the handlers are all up to date as well. Also I double checked the nest app and it has st-integration-8 showing.

Forgot to update here but eventually (after almost 2 months) got an update from Nest support over the away switching back to heat mode. They have confirmed that it’s effectively now auto away and eco mode is the new de facto away.

Hi @tonesto7, @E_Sch, I believe there’s a small bug in the thermostat automation code where it compares an external temperature sensor and switches on ECO to save energy. I use Celcius and when the value hit 0 degrees last night Nest manager claimed that the Temp was at threshold as it matched the internal temp! LOL exactly when we need it the most :grimacing:
(I’m on the latest code.)

As part of our review with Nest they have asked we remove Nest from the name of our app.
This is going to make it difficult to locate us for new users and will make things difficult for existing installs.

I’m looking for some name ideas from the community to re-label Nest Manager and still make sense.
Thoughts?

Not sure a bug.

If you want your home to be in eco mode when away, then this warning was correct. If that is not your intent, then disable the warning as previously suggested.

Nest’s home/away assist has a tendency to drop out of eco mode “randomly”. You can configure Nest Mode automation to not only adjust Nest’s Home/Away based on ST modes, but it can now also set eco when going to away, and reset the previous mode when setting home.

There is more writeup on this in:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Nest_Manager#Nest_.28Eco.29_Thermostat_Mode

and further down in:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Nest_Manager#Nest_Home.2FAway

Can you still refer to nest at least?
say
“Smart Thermostat Manager for nest”
or
“Smart Thermostat Manager works with nest”

1 Like