[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

@brbeaird. First off thanks for putting this smartapp together. I am able to control my MyQ garage doors with smartthings. I am now trying to connect it to my Harmony Hub. I relinked my Harmony to smartthings but the garage doors don’t show in the list. If I change the “Type” from ‘MyQ Garage Door Opener-NoSensor’ to something else… for example ‘myQ’ , it will show up in the list… and of course nothing works because its not connected to your app “Type”. But, if I leave the ‘Type’ set to ‘MyQ Garage Door Opener-NoSensor’ I can control my doors from smartthings but it won’t show up in my Harmony apps list. Is there something that I need to do in order to get the garage door devices to show up?

Thanks for the help.

I don’t have a Harmony hub, so I’ve never tried that. I’m guessing Harmony doesn’t support most custom device types. If anyone else can chime in about anything we can do to change that, feel free.

I installed the MyQ Lite a few days ago, and it works fabulously on two new MyQ door openers.

I then bought two tilt sensors and installed them and switched over to the “sensor” version of MyQ Lite.

It still works, but I have two more sensors cluttering up my interface. What purpose do they perform? The “no-sensor” version seemed to work just fine, and it indicated whether the doors were open or closed perfectly well without the tilt sensors…

They just seem,… redundant.

The sensors work in conjunction with the Garage Door device so that Opened / Closed does stay in sync. For most people running the no sensor version and without the API to Chamberlain functioning anymore, most people see their Garage door device Opening or Closing and no way for it to poll and report back and it never changes the Status of the Garage door device to truly show Opened or Closed. So the two Tilt Sensors you have added work within the SmartApp itself to align it’s status with the Garage Door device, (which is the My Q sensor).

That’s how I understand it to all work. @brbeaird can chime in and add more to this.

No, the no-sensor version does not know the door’s status at all and never accurately shows if it’s open or closed, which means you can’t use the door in native things like Routines. With the sensor version, it becomes a fully working “garage door” type device in SmartThings.

1 Like

Interesting. For the few days I had it, the no-sensor version would show the door as Opening, then Open. And then, it would show it as Closing, then Closed.

I assumed it knew and was not guessing.

What you’re saying is that if the door hit something and reversed, the no-sensor version would not have known?

Thank you for responding, BTW.

Yes, exactly. Any change in status would be a total guess based on whatever action was just sent. If the door was opened or closed from a remote or wall switch, SmartThings would have no clue. I haven’t played with that version in awhile…I thought I set it to always go back to “Unknown” state by default, but maybe that isn’t working quite right. I may need to look at that again to make it less confusing.

Well, if it malfunctioned, at least it malfunctioned impressively!

Thanks for writing this, it’s a blessing to have these garage door openers integrated.

How do I uninstall this? When I try from the app it is says “unexpected error occurred.” When I try from the IDE it says “someone is still using this app”.

Most likely you will need to uninstall the garage door that you set up with it first, then uninstall the app.

Last night I set this up on my SmartThings v2 hub before I had mounted a multipurpose sensor on the garage door so I used the nosensor version. Today I got the sensor installed and removed the smartapp and both DH’s, then I tried to re-add the door without the nosensor DH but every time I added the smartapp back to my things it failed saying it needed the nosensor version (even though I picked the use accelerometer option when setting it up). Eventually I gave up and just re-added the nosensor DH and that got it installed, but it still shows as it is using the nosensor version on the settings page (and next to the thing icon). How do I get it to switch to the sensor version?

I want to use my echo dot to open and close it the easy way and it isn’t working because I think it is using the wrong DH… or is this normal? Do I have to also add the multisensor as a contact sensor to fix it?

I don’t think the multipurpose sensor from SmartThings will work in this setup. You’ll actually need to pick up a garage door tilt sensor. I picked one up for $25 off Amazon. Worked like a charm.

EDIT FOR FUTURE READERS

Per @WB70 below, I was wrong. You need to change a setting so that your multipurpose sensor starts acting as a tilt sensor. See next post by WB70 for walkthrough.

If you are talking about the ST Multipurpose sensor then in order for that sensor to act as a Tilt sensor, all you have to do is go into Things and select the Sensor, click on the Gear icon and then where you see "Do you want to use this on a garage door? select Yes and then Save. This will also change the Icon on the Things screen from an Open/Close to a Garage door icon.

Your ST Multipurpose sensor now works as a Tilt sensor that no longer needs the magnet. You will mount this on the face of the garage door (you looking at door) as high up as possible on the top panel.

FYI for @kwandrews7 as well :slight_smile:

Additional Note: In the settings of the MyQ Lite SmartApp, I have the Garage sensor selected for both Contact sensor and Acceleration sensor, otherwise it fails when you try to do Next/Save and don’t have Contact sensor selected. I know you mentioned that towards the bottom so maybe that is one of the issues.

You will also want to add the additional on/off push buttons (opener / closer) you see in the screenshot above that you can use with Alexa. Otherwise you will need to create Virtual Switches to accomplish opening and closing from Alexa.

Edit: The ST Sensor uses the Smartsense Multi Sensor Type (by default) — This does not need to be modified as I had previously stated.

1 Like

kwandrews7,
I’m pretty sure it should work with the parts I have, the SmartThings MP sensor is listed multiple times above as one of the recommended/better methods to do this (and online in general).

WB70,
Sorry I didn’t make it clear, but yes, it is the ST MP sensor (gen 2 bought a few week ago) and I did change it to a garage door type when I mounted it last night (I originally bought it for this but it was temporarily on the laundry room entry door as a contact sensor while I got everything installed).

NOTE for everyone else: You need to open and close the garage door once after you install it to get the sensor status switched from contact to tilt mode (it showed open even though it was closed until I did that).

I had done everything else you suggested so as you found I think I need to add it to both sensor types in the smartapp. I’ll try that shortly and see if it fixes the issue (will post again asap), I was thinking of doing that anyway but wanted to see what everyone thought here before I wasted the time.

Thanks for confirming the mounting location, I eventually figured that out but some of the first things I found online didn’t say where to put it, and I think a video/image at ST actually shows it on the bottom of the door but that wouldn’t detect if the door moving until it was almost fully opened (not good).

As for Alexa, I originally did it that way with the nosensor but was hoping to avoid the extra buttons because in the project notes it says the sensor version doesn’t require them and it is a simpler voice command (less wordy). I’ll test that before my follow up post as well.

I’ll start by removing the nosensor DH and re-add the MyQ smartapp with both smartapp sensor settings pointing at the ST MP sensor leave out the extra buttons and see what it does…

Thank you both for the replies!

OK, looks like everything is working after the adjustment. I started with the easiest method and simply removed the Garage Door Opener thing, then went to the smartapp and added the contact sensor setting and hit save. It then re-added the thing using the sensor version (just as I and WB70 suspected was the issue), so at this point in order to use the sensor DH you need to fill in the contact sensor. I didn’t even remove the nosensor DH, it is still installed, I just adding the contact sensor setting (even though technically the MP sensor isn’t in contact mode) it got everything working.

brbeaird, is that a programming oversight or by design? Either way it would be helpful for others if you would clarify the documentation a little :slight_smile:

As for Alexa, I left off the extra buttons and it does open and close the door without them, and the phrase is a little shorter too.

I am still pretty new to ST but I can’t figure out how to get the close function to work with my Chamberlain closer. The open function works great, just not the close function. I originally installed the SmartApp/DH (no sensor version) manually around the beginning of December since this is my first custom device and I didn’t want to potentially mess something up by trying github integration for the first time. When the close function didn’t work, I went through the github integration because it looked like maybe I didn’t have the most recent version, and I thought it would be easier to keep everything up to date in the future via github. I had purchased a sensor by this point so I installed the sensor version this time.

Same thing happened with github, close still didn’t work, so I thought maybe I did something wrong there and installed manually again last week, but no dice. I removed everything from the IDE and the app both times before reinstalling. One quirk was that the first two times I was able to install everything at the regular “graph.api” IDE but had to switch to the “graph-na04-useast2.api” the last time to get it to publish.

Any ideas on anything that could be obviously wrong or anything I can post that would help clarify? I have the general log below (from one open and one close call) but I don’t know that it provides any info. The opener works fine from the Chamberlain app.

11:44:27 AM: info SHM isActiveSensor(contact:open, app: off, location: off) = false, locationId: fb7bc4b1-aeb3-4144-9de3-81d12c1d88c4, ISA: 832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5
832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5 11:44:27 AM: debug motionOrContactHandler(Garage Door contact:open)
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:44:27 AM: debug Door is now open
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:44:27 AM: debug Request received to update door status to : open
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:43:57 AM: debug Request received to update door status to : closing
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:43:56 AM: debug Garage door close command called.
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:41 AM: debug Door: Garage Door Opener: Updating timestamp to: Sun Jan 07 16:42:22 UTC 2018 - from sensor Garage Door Sensor
52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f 11:42:41 AM: debug Door: Garage Door Opener: Updating timestamp to: Sun Jan 07 16:42:22 UTC 2018 - from sensor Garage Door Sensor
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:41 AM: debug Door: Garage Door Opener: Updating with status - open - from sensor Garage Door Sensor
52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f 11:42:41 AM: debug Door: Garage Door Opener: Updating with status - open - from sensor Garage Door Sensor
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:41 AM: debug refresh called from Garage Door Opener (52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f|GarageDoorOpener|1702194107)
832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5 11:42:41 AM: info SHM isActiveSensor(contact:open, app: off, location: off) = false, locationId: fb7bc4b1-aeb3-4144-9de3-81d12c1d88c4, ISA: 832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5
832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5 11:42:41 AM: debug motionOrContactHandler(Garage Door contact:open)
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:41 AM: debug Door is now open
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:41 AM: debug Request received to update door status to : open
52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f 11:42:23 AM: debug Door: Garage Door Opener: Updating timestamp to: Sun Jan 07 16:42:22 UTC 2018 - from sensor Garage Door Sensor
52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f 11:42:23 AM: debug Door: Garage Door Opener: Updating with status - closed - from sensor Garage Door Sensor
52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f 11:42:23 AM: debug Sensor change detected: Event name contact value: open deviceID: d12f390e-eac9-4c25-8bf9-e72f5c3187ea
832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5 11:42:23 AM: debug motionOrContactHandler(Garage Door contact:closed)
832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5 11:42:23 AM: info SHM isActiveSensor(contact:open, app: off, location: off) = false, locationId: fb7bc4b1-aeb3-4144-9de3-81d12c1d88c4, ISA: 832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5
832df301-3af1-41e1-96be-ef28757f2ce5 11:42:23 AM: debug motionOrContactHandler(Garage Door Sensor contact:open)
52aedbaf-bc28-4390-b0dd-7ab30c1c6c4f 11:42:21 AM: debug got login response: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseDecorator@5c644a8
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:20 AM: debug Request received to update door status to : opening
58babc67-09f0-4bc7-948e-4cdf8a20b0b1 11:42:20 AM: debug Garage door open command called.

Ya this isn’t good. Older documents and links refer people to graph.api… which is an actual shard (url) that some people’s accounts are associated with. There are newer shards that we are all assigned to nowadays. In the future, always login via https://account.smartthings.com and when you login it will automatically redirect you to your correct shard (ie:na04…).

I’m not sure what and why you are getting the error, but I would follow the login procedures above and then when logged in correctly, I would the following:

1. Uninstall the MyQ Lite from the Mobile App, and then if that removes successfully, proceed. If it fails to Uninstall read 2 below.
  2. Perform if 1 failed. In IDE goto Locations / Installed SmartApps / Edit / scroll down to Other and find MyQ Lite a d if there is only 1 installed, then press Uninstall and it should disappear. If it fails, then open the SmartApp in Mobile app again and remove the Contact Sensor from MyQ Lite and Save App all the way through. Then refresh the IDE screen again and try to Uninstall again.

Then perform the steps again to create/ save and Publish your SmartApp and Device Handler again. Then go back into Marketplace and select the MyQ Lite SmartApp and walk through Configuration again.

Edited - I removed the portion about updating Device type. I confused myself. Disregard that if you saw it before I updated this post.

1 Like

Ya that’s fine. The SmartApp (sensor / no sensor) will assign the correct DH to he MyQ Garage Door device when it creates it.

I incorrectly somewhere up above referenced changing the ST Sensor to the MyQ DH, which is not what I meant to put. The ST sensor uses the Type “Smartsense Multi Sensor”. That never needs to be changed.

Then perform the steps again to create/ save and Publish your SmartApp and Device Handler again. Then go back into Marketplace and select the MyQ Lite SmartApp and walk through Configuration again.

Thanks - this is basically what I did the last time, although I went directly to the shard that was given to me by customer support. Regardless, I went ahead and removed everything (#1 was successful) and created everything anew via https://account.smartthings.com and I have the same issue.