[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

The app seems to be having an issue with my login. It used to work perfectly to open and close my doors but stopped working a couple months back but I am just now digging into it trying to figure out why.

I deleted the smart app and device handler as well as the smart app on my phone but now I cant re-install them. I created new device handler and smart app and published them. Then on my phone in the app I find it hit install. It takes me to the first screen so I enter my login and the gateway type (Liftmaster) but when I hit next it just goes to a blank screen instead of letting me continue the setup and if I hit done it crashes.

I ran the simulator and it gave me this error which looks like it has something to do with the login.

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘expiration’ on null object @ line 356

Native myq app still works but I changed my password just to be sure I was entering the correct login info and still nothing. Any ideas?

Best thing to do would be open the Live Logging in the IDE and watch that
while you try and install on your phone.

Below is what Live logging says when I try to install.

786eb4c7-d680-4e58-82c5-faa613a74693 3:59:38 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: groovy.util.slurpersupport.NodeChildren.isArray() is applicable for argument types: () values: []
Possible solutions: isEmpty(), every()
786eb4c7-d680-4e58-82c5-faa613a74693 3:59:37 PM: debug got login response: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseDecorator@59f9450a

Seems like we’re getting a weird response from Chamberlain. Any chance you know how to use Postman or something similar to manually make the callout? If not, I’ll think about the best way to get you to add more detailed debugging.

Crazy question, but can you control it properly if you go directly to the website where you created your account?
I don’t have Chamberlain, but for the MyQ, I believe the site is myliftmaster.com

If it might be account related, that’s where I would start
 if it doesn’t work on the website directly, you could fight with the app and device handler and never get anywhere

Yeah the myq app and going directly to the myq website below still work fine for me.

www.myliftmaster.com/Dashboard

Sorry, I don’t really know anything about coding or debugging so not much help there.

Ok I think I figured out. As I suspected it appears to be user error on my part. Even though I deleted the smartapp and device handler yesterday, re-loaded and published them it appears those changes didn’t stick. Maybe I didnt hit save before publish? Anyways I noticed when I logged in today it was still running a version from 2016 so I updated everything to the latest code and back in business! Thank you for the help and the awesome app!

1 Like

Is the 828LM MyQ Internet Gateway required for the Liftmaster 8165? Or can I use these DH’s and Smart App without it? Seems would be required for the garage opener to communicate via internet via wifi? Any other alternative to the 828LM? Are the sensors talked about in this thread just referring to tilt sensors
 as extra info after getting a MyQ account and after getting gateway?

Click Connectivity
"Requires 828LM MyQ Internet Gateway to connect to MyQ Smartphone App."

I use the 828LM with an 888LM, no tilt sensor, on my garage door with a MyQ account and it works as advertised, but have not tried or felt the need for the MyQ ST interface.

How does the gateway connect to the garage door opener? Mount the device on it, or plug in inside the house? Seems this device is mandatory
 since the garage door opener has a MyQ logo on the side, it mislead me that it was internet ready. Guess not.

Should I get this gateway or is there some other device preferred?

Thanks.

The 828LM plugs into the router. Then you create an account and install it on the liftmaster website, download the MyQ App for your smartphone, add devices-I use the 888LM Control Panel, then use your computer or app to control the door. The MyQ app displays if the door is open / closed and allows the door to be remotely opened or closed.

My older Liftmaster opener unit does not say MyQ ready, but was listed as compatible, and I had a dumb door controller. I first purchased an 888LM to insure sure the door would be closed in 1, 5 or 10 minutes. Driving back home to be sure the door was closed was getting a bit annoying. I hoped/thought the 888LM could be connected to Smartthings-but no Liftmaster/Chamberlain uses their own proprietary 900mhz signal system. So I purchased the 828LM and got it working. I did not install the Smartthings MyQ app since my garage does not have a direct connection to the house and the MyQ app gives me sufficient warnings when the door is open.

I did not consider or research any other products. The two items I purchased on Amazon and Ebay came in between 75 and 80 dollars total.

Thank you Arnb for the help!

Few questions/issues:

• Not sure it’s relevant or not, but has anyone looked at the coding for the vera app for this? I’m not a coder, but I know they ran into a similar barrier with syncing status from MyQ. They made a modification and it’s been working great since. With my Veralite, I can control my garage doors and the polling still works for status updates - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24715.720.html

• I have the smartapp installed on smartthings and open/close is working fine. I do NOT have sensor installed. My issue is that when I set up a routine, I get a notification that smartthings is opening the garage door, but nothing actually happens. If I pull up the app and push the open button it works. Can someone explain why the routine isn’t working?

• I have voice control set up with smartthings for my Google Home. Integration works with my z-wave devices - it turns on my light. However, when I try to open/close my garage door with Google Assistant/home it just performs a search function. Anyone know why the garage door integration isn’t working?

Thank you for the assistance!

There are a few solutions out there that still poll for status updates. For whatever reason, SmartThings has been singled out as one they don’t like, perhaps because the polling traffic was a lot larger or maybe because it was all coming from a centralized location (SmartThings cloud) whereas some of those other solution involve each individual user’s home polling Chamberlain directly.

Routines won’t work unless you have a sensor to track the door’s status. This is because SmartThings routines try to be efficient in not triggering a door to open or close unless its confident that door isn’t already open or closed. As a workaround, you can use a CoRE piston with status optimization disabled.

How are you trying to trigger the door to open or close? I believe you’ll need to say “turn on” or “turn off” the door device - “open/close” won’t register correctly.

Noob question. Are safety sensors being referred as contact sensors in the smart app ? Smart app is not detecting any sensors for me !
It’s a Chamberlain garage door opener with internet gateway. Lamp controls are showing up and working just fine.

The contact senor is refering to an open/close sensor (door sensor with magnet) or a tilt sensor (or ST multi sensor set for garage door) that is seen by ST. The opener’s safety sensor/IR beam is not a sensor option nor is the Chamberlain tilt sensor for the retrofit gateway system.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying .

An update on my config:

I don’t automate the garage via smartthings; that is, I don’t have ST events trigger the garage to open or close.

However, I have the garage open/close trigger events in SmartThings. For example, if it’s dark out any garage activity turns on the front door light for two minutes.

The other thing that I have happening is a garage icon in SmartTiles. It was being notified of open/closed status by a ST multisensor, but I now have the Chamberlain network apparatus for use with Alexa. So I’m using AutoNotification (Tasker) on the SmartTiles control tablet to intercept the Chamberlain open/closed notifications, and feed that to a virtual contact sensor. That is what now reports to the SmartTiles garage icon.

After installing the app I noticed that the Acceleration sensor was not working / registered. During the setup, enabling a sensor or contact sensor was not an option “You can’t currently add this”. Did I miss something?

I’ve seen mixed results when using the acceleration sensor, but it definitely does not work well without a contact sensor. Because I can’t really reproduce anything with the acceleration sensor, I usually just recommend people stick with just the contact sensor if they run into trouble.

Are you sure you’ve got the contact sensor showing up as a contact sensor in SmartThings? As long as ST sees it then you should be able to add it in the MyQ SmartApp setup. Can you post a screenshot or two?