[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

This doesn’t expose the garage doors to ST though? I use core to check the status of the doors after we leave for work and to close them if we forgot to.

That is correct; it is independent of SmartThings. You don’t need ST at all with this configuration in order to have voice control of the garage door.

But it will not conflict with ST either. So the configuration you have will work independently. Though I suppose AskAlexa might get confused if you have both components working.

Problem solved! thanks!

1 Like

Hi all. I’m in a position where my old garage door opener just burned out and I’m going to buy a new one. I would like to incorporate the new one into my SmartThings universe. Is there any reason to go with a Chamberlin MYQ opener if I am starting from scratch? or should I just get any opener and add a Linear garage door controller and a tilt sensor? Is there any benefit to the MYQ Lite app that I can not achieve with the Z-Wave devices? Also - I see some mention that you can’t use the Linear garage door controller with Chamberlin. Can someone explain the details to me? If you were starting from scratch and buying a new garage door opener - what would you get?

If starting from scratch, I would probably not go with a Chamberlain door. Overall, I would prefer the simplicity of a door that could work using the Linear controller. Like you mentioned, MyQ doors won’t work with the Linear controller (aside from some clever modification of physical switches).

That said, one advantage of using MyQ is you can always fall back to the MyQ mobile app to open and close your door if you need to. If you’re using the Linear controller or something similar, you’re fully dependent on your hub and the SmartThings cloud for remote control. While both are generally reliable, you could possibly make the case that MyQ servers have a simpler environment and are somewhat more reliable overall if it’s critical to you to always have the ability to view/open/close your door even if SmartThings access is down.

I keep getting a Error saving page when I try doing this as a new setup any ideas?

The most likely cause for error is you don’t have all the device handler code set up and published. Can you open up the live logging in the API and see what the detailed error message is?

For some reason its not seeing my tilt sensors.

physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘MyQ Garage Door Opener-NoSensor’ in namespace ‘brbeaird’ not found. @ line 310

Ok, yep it’s definitely looking for the no-sensor device type. It does this if you don’t choose a sensor for the door during setup - did your sensors not show up as selectable on the door setup page?

No it was grayed out.

It should look like this:

If it says “There are no devices of this capability” that means SmartThings does not recognize those sensors with the contact sensor capability. What sensors are you using?

Running into a minor issue I hope someone can shed some light on…

I have a Smartthings multi-sensor set up to act as an acceleration and contact sensor (without the magnent, however). It’s worked fine since I started using this setup, but with the latest code I’m noticing an issue with MyQ Lite thinking that the garage isn’t in fact open. I am using the single toggle switch, and when I toggle to open, shows as open then reverts back to closed (the sensor that is).

I have gone into the SmartApp config and tried to remove the contact sensor and leave only the acceleration sensor, but it tells me I can’t do that when trying to save the setup. Am I absolutely required to use the magnet with the contact sensor now? Or is there something else going on here that may be contributing to my strange results?

Thanks so much!

This…probably won’t work. If you’re getting an error when trying to remove the contact sensor during setup, that’s probably because the SmartApp is trying to switch your door to the no-sensor type, which I’m guessing you may not have set up in your device handlers. On top of that, most of the acceleration sensor code assumes you’ve got a contact sensor as well, so I’m not exactly sure how that would behave.

So yes, if you want to use that sensor, you’ll need the magnet piece for it to correctly function as a contact sensor. You’ll definitely get some weird behavior if you don’t. However if you just want to go at it with no sensor at all, make sure you’ve got the no-sensor door device handler in your IDE, then pull all sensors out during the MyQ Lite setup screen. If that doesn’t fix your error. open up live logging while you’re trying to remove the sensors and see what error message you’re getting.

Hello,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I’m having a heck of an issue installing the MyQ Lite SmartApp.

I have the SmartApp and Device Type Handlers (main handler with sensors, lights) installed. When I get to the last screen, every time I get an “Error saving page” error message and it does not create the devices. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I can’t get the smart app to find my MyQ Door Opener. I installed the proper Device Handlers and verified that I am inputting the correct username and password for the MyQ Opener by logging into the original MyQ app. Whenever I put in my login info into your MyQ Lite App it says…

Error!

Could not find any supported device(s). Please report to author about these devices: []

Would this be because I currently have the MyQ Opener linked up with my alarm.com system?

You’ll need run Live Logging in the IDE as you step through the setup on your phone to see the detailed error message.

Interesting. This means the response from MyQ does not have anything the SmartApp code recognizes as a door. Do you know how to use Postman or some other tool that can do an HTTP get so you can manually get that response?

Thanks, brbeaird… follow-up question: so I added the magnet portion (though I’m really not sure if it will work with how my garage is situated, but since I have the multi-sensor configured to be used as a garage sensor, I don’t think it even uses the contact sensor portion. Should I not have the sensor configured to be used as a garage sensor?

Hmm…I don’t actually have one of those multi-sensors, so I’m not totally sure how that works. If it’s configured as a garage sensor, then it should still act correctly as a contact sensor simply using the “tilt” detection in the sensor. If the sensor correctly shows open/closed in SmartThings, then I would think that should work.