[OBSOLETE] MyQ Lite Door and Lamp Control (for Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

What, never recall an agreement when I bought mine, I’m sure it’s some I Agee junk when when I signed up for the myq account and its changed 1000 times since. Chamberlain and ST are not doing their customers justice by putting the problem off, this was promised over a year ago. I think all the other big names have full integration now, do the right thing…

Anyone every read these agreements, Wow… when you get a few mins read a few, you’ll get some real laughs… it’s all liability…

2 Likes

I just found this: Liftmaster Gateway and Hub License Agreement and Terms of Use

I skimmed over it, and honestly, I don’t see anything explicitly saying what we’re doing is a direct violation. There’s some vague language in a couple places that I guess you could say SmartThings is covered as not “designed” or “intended” by Liftmaster.[quote=“jimmay3, post:21, topic:49150”]
it’s all liability…
[/quote]
This is really the bottom line.

Initially, I didn’t read it either. But when this first came to light I had a look, and then withdrew my integration and stopped using it.

I very much hope for an official integration (though confidence is not high), but until then I will honor my agreement with Chamberlain.

This license does not allow you to use the Mobile Apps on any
mobile device that you do not own or control, and you may not distribute
or make the Mobile Apps available over a network, or where it could be
used by multiple devices at the same time. Without limiting any of the
other restrictions set forth in these Terms, you may not rent, lease,
lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Mobile Apps, and you will not
copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the
source code of, modify, or create derivative works of any Mobile Apps,
any updates, or any part thereof (except as and only to the extent any
foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable law or to the extent
as may be permitted by the licensing terms governing use of any open
sourced components included with any Mobile Apps). Any attempt to do so
is a violation of the rights of LiftMaster and its licensors. If you
breach this restriction or any other terms or conditions contained
herein, you may be subject to prosecution and damages. These Terms will
govern any upgrades provided by LiftMaster that replace and/or
supplement the original Mobile App, unless such upgrade is accompanied
by a separate license designated by LiftMaster, in which case the terms
of that separate license will govern.

Nothing in there states making use of the underlying REST API. Since no one decompiled their app (literally we just wiresharked the network traffic), there’s nothing to really stand on here. It’s also only using one user account per device, so we didn’t breach the multiple user notice they have in there either (since it falls within the same category as sharing credentials).

2 Likes

That is exceedingly polite of you, especially considering that they have not honored agreement after agreement made with us - particularly regarding HomeKit. If I could have Siri open my garage door (as promised for quite a while now, and part of the reason I purchased MyQ) I probably wouldn’t care much about Alexa being able to do it.

You said you are a Dev and I appreciate that, but frankly most of us are so sick of clicking yes to unreasonable, unwieldy and ridiculously restrictive, overly legal, monstrosities of EULA’s that we don’t really care what they say. Furthermore, we feel like the price we pay for the hardware makes it ours and regardless of the EULA, we should be able to use it how we like.

If we disagree, then we can sit on the sidelines, or break the rules.

EULA’s are so ridiculous most of the time that many, if not most of us, pay them little or no attention.

That being said, I respect your pov even though I don’t agree with it or abide by it. Cheers.

• Tom
3 Likes

Not sure what you’re reading. Section 5D of the MyQ License and TOS states you will “(D) not use the System, in any manner other than as intended by LiftMaster

@tsteele93 I have no basis to discuss Homekit and Siri, but I doubt there were any legal agreements in place; promises or announcements… I have no doubt. Much can be said about SmartThings in this regard.

I have no interest in a discussion about ethics, merely pointing out that this is in fact a violation of TOS (as others here seem to have concluded otherwise). For me, the service is useful and provided free of charge, so I have no wish to use it in any manner outside their terms.

ST announced at CES 2015 (Jan 2015) that the integration would happen, both companies carried each others logos under their compadibility specs. This was enough for consumers to believe the intent of both companies was to have an eminent integration. This intent was enough to inspire sales for each company, thus the consumers what what they paid for. The intent of use and agreement seems fairly clear there is no violation.

They both were ok over a year and a half ago to sell units with the intent of itegration, just deliver or at least put an official statement of intent out there so it is clear to consumers, nether will say officially cause it’s not in eithers best interests.

1 Like

Ok, noob questions… if I use your app - should I remove, or disable the other version? If so, how would I do that? Is there a way to keep the old version around so that I could re-enable it if I decided that it was better for me?

I think that I would rather use your updated and better implementation, but I would really like the ability to change my mind if I find that it is a step backwards or worse for me. Hopefully that makes sense and hopefully there is an easy answer.

Thank you all for your patience and help.

-Tom Steele

That’s my situation too, I’m already integrated with the tilt sensor and old @copyninja app and all is still functional, just slow updates on the myq open/close status, but don’t open/close that often to see big status issues cause my tilt sensor keeps ST up to date to the sec, thus all ST integrated lighting, SHM, and left open notifications work 100%. In theory the new should do all the same, just eliminate the false/slow myq status.

Just got used to ST, if it ain’t broke, don’t touch it, cause they will in time…

My suggestion would be to leave the old Smartapp installed and install this new version. Then go through any of the Routines or other rules that have the old version door and replace the door in those rules with your new MyQ Lite door. Then just reverse the process if you want to revert to the old version.

Are you 100% sure about this? My tilt sensor status changes stopped triggering a refresh on copy-ninja’s version altogether about a week ago. The only way to get an accurate refresh value and timestamp was to manually hit the button on the door in the mobile app.

1 Like

Yes, the tilt sensor status is to the second, not the myq status. Tie all your ST integrations to the tilt sensor.

The old code does do a refresh based off the tilt sensor change in status, but the request to myq for a new status fails from the apparent myq blocking of ST’s ip’s, so its worthless.

That why the new myq lite is the best of both worlds, gives you open/close operations from myq and current accurate status from tilt sensor, it don’t care or use the myq status for anything. Don’t tie any of your automation to the myq status, only the tilt sensor.

Working well with my aeotec open/close sensor. :slight_smile:

Doors arent updating to tilt status also in this app the manual refresh on the dorrs doesnt work, it does work on the old one.

Do you see any errors in your log? The tilt status change and manual refresh both call the same code, which basically just syncs the MyQ Lite doors with whatever their associated tilt sensor status is.

Today I decided to just kill the old MyQ code and use the new one with the Tilt Sensor, WOW, works 100% and with an instant status update… It update the status as soon as the door cracked open and when it was fully closed… Great integration!!! The Mfg’s should just adopt this code…

2 Likes

That’s odd. It looks like it’s just not registering when your sensor goes to “open” status. When the door opens or closes, do you see any log entries that say something like “Updating door with [status], last activity [timestamp]?”

I just pushed small updates to both the SmartApp and Device handler code. If you’d like to try updating to those and trying again, it might give you a few more helpful lines in the log I may be able to use to figure out what’s happening.

Clean Log on my setup via app:

11:22:46 AM: debug Door is now closed
1:22:46 AM: debug Door status updated to : closed
11:22:24 AM: debug Door status updated to : closing

But fails on SmartTiles… I used a toggle button option, may need a regular switch?

11:25:26 AM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
11:25:26 AM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
11:25:20 AM: info command ‘toggle’ run successfully
11:25:20 AM: info command received with params [command:toggle, device:, type:momentary, access_token:XXX-XXX, appId:, param1:command, action:[GET:executeSmartAppGet, POST:executeSmartAppPost, PUT:executeSmartAppPut, DELETE:executeSmartAppDelete, OPTIONS:executeSmartAppOptions], controller:smartAppApi]

I think my earlier update to fix the Echo issue broke the toggle button functionality. I just pushed an update to the Device Handler if you wanna try again.

In SmartTiles the momentary switch option failed, tried a normal switch option and it opened fine, but switch indication reverted back to original (grayed out), thus when closing had to hit it and while it was white I had to hit it again to close it.

Will try code change soon…

updated to the latest code still seeing the same thing. Perhaps it’s because it’s a liftmaster operator instead of the chamberlain myq? Does anyone that has a liftmaster operator have this working?