*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

Hi, to my knowlege, no; you can group some ecobee thermostats at the ecobee portal so that they are in sync in terms of settings, but not specifically for heating or cooling.

I’m looking for something that will let me use my own temperature sensors in ST as the only sensors for a particular ecobee comfort setting, so that for example at night time only two bedrooms’ temps drive the thermostat’s ‘Sleep’ mode.

Is there a way to have a temporary evaluation version of the smartapp? I’m concerned that it will be overly complicated to set up and use, plus longevity of the app on the dying ST Classic platform makes me weary of investing in it without trying it first.

Hi @pavichokche, with MyEcobee device, you can use any ST connected temp/motion sensors and choose which ones you’d like to use for a specific comfort settings using my zoning smartapp called ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule . The zoning smartapp has been built upon the concepts of rooms/zones/schedules which makes it very flexible for all kinds of use case scenarios.

A contribution fee is required to use this most comprehensive ecobee implementation as I have invested a lot of time & efforts to make it work for many use cases.

For more information about the use cases supported by my zoning smartapp, please refer to the ST community wiki (everything is documented at the ST community wiki: supported features, use cases configuration, troubleshooting, etc.).

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule

The zoning smartapp requires MyEcobee device to work as it has the most comprehensive list of attributes & commands to support it.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device

Thousands of contributors have used MyEcobee device implementation in the last 5 years…

The right package for your use case would be My ecobee Bundle at my store.

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.d54605ba994a99147562d856d066149b46263760

This is a core function of the ecobee native app. Is there any reason you don’t want to use that? It does, of course, only work with ecobee’s own room sensors. Is that what you mean by “my own temperature sensors”, i.e., you don’t want to use the ones available from ecobee?

I’m looking for something that will let me use my own temperature sensors in ST as the only sensors for a particular ecobee comfort setting, so that for example at night time only two bedrooms’ temps drive the thermostat’s ‘Sleep’ mode.

@Gwalker88 Because, as you said, it only works with Ecobee’s own, very expensive sensors. They cost like 4x more than a regular zigbee temperature sensor which would do the job just as well.

@yvesracine How would your app use my sensors to drive the thermostat while ignoring its own temperature reading? Does it constantly augment the hold set point based on the thermostat’s current reading so that it keeps the heating/cooling running long enough for my ST sensors to reach the desired temperature?

Also, what will happen to your app once the ST Classic platform gets shut down? In the next year or two?

Hi, everything is explained at the ST community wiki (under supported features and use case #1). For your use cases, you have to remove your remote sensors participation in the Night’s comfort settings and configure the ones you wish to use instead in the zoning smartapp.
https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Supported_Features

About your concerns about the ST classic mobile app, I believe that SmartThings will not totally shut down the ST classic mobile app as Smartthings itself relies on it for any hubAction related DTHs (Device Type Handlers).

All custom DTHs rely on the ST classic mobile app for the moment…

I’m also following the CLI thread, and hopefully, there will be a migration path for the custom DTHs.

Regards.

And, BTW, MyEcobee device fully supports ecobee 2FA for quite a while, no issues here. I don’t know where your user friendly concerns come from…. MyEcobee device is simple to use and very resilient to any outages, and can grow with you as your requirements increase…

My concerns were mainly stemming from a few factors:

• The confusing selection of apps, devices and bundles in your store, I wasn’t sure what to even buy and what functionality I’d be missing out on
  • The lack of screenshot examples of what the workflow would be like for accomplishing the different use cases. The wiki makes it seem as though I’m supposed to program things somewhere with text inputs?

Regardless, I think I’ll be holding off for now. My use case isn’t complicated enough to require this whole solution. Also, I think I’d prefer the learning experience of producing the behavior I need in webCoRE and keeping my money to buy another ecobee sensor at some point instead.

Yes, there are many bundles and many price points depending on the use cases required and your ecobee model (ex. ecobee lite without sensors vs. other ecobee tstats).

If you understand the concept of rooms/zones/schedules, then it’s all you need to know as the app is quite intuitive.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Look_.26_Feel

Good luck with webCore!

1 Like

Hi,

d54605ba994a99147562d856d066149b46263760

Just want to inform my contributors and all ecobee users that new version of MyEcobeeDevice(v5.9.9z7) & MyEcobeeInit (v4.2) can be downloaded at my e-commerce solution provider (sellfy) using the original download link.

• Now that ecobee supports 2FA (2-factor authentication), the login page embedded in MyEcobeeInit now supports the code sent by Ecobee.
  • Minor icons change (UI in the ST classic mobile app).

My Ecobee thermostat (in the ST classic and new Samsung connect app)

MyEcobeeTstat

MyEcobeeTstatP2

My Ecobee switch

You basically just need to install the DTHs once, and forget about it. The code will recover and resend any failed thermostat or switch command in the next hour window after a ST or ecobee outage. No other ecobee implementation (and especially the ST stock device) can match this level of resilience and reliability.

If you’re are a contributor to one of my support packages (and I have access to your ST account), the upgrade has already been done for you. You don’t need to do anything, everything has been taken care of.

On top of it, there are many complimentary smartapps designed for My ecobee DTH and are located at my github. All ecobee smartapps are explained at the ST community wiki (all ecobee* smartapps):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

You can also refer to the 1st post of this thread for all the use cases supported.

My Ecobee DTHs (thermostat, switch) are available at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards

Hi Yves,

I am one of the contributors to your Ecobee SetZoneWithSchedule App. Could you please confirm if it will continue to work once I switch to the new smartthings App? Users of the Smartthings Classic App are getting notified through the app that they will no longer be getting updates. Customers are been asking to migrate.

Hi, if you have the latest version of My Ecobee bundle (including the ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule smartapp), it should work under the new Samsung Connect app.

However, you need to keep the ST classic mobile app even after the migration as you need it for making change to the devices via MyEcobeeInit. All custom DTHs require the ST classic mobile app as long as SmartThings has not released the custom capabilities. This feature is not mature enough at this point.

The migration is mainly just for the routines and other automation.

You can still use both apps (ST classic mobile app and Samsung Connect app).

Regards

1 Like

I’m using your smart app. It is working fine.
Today I got an email from ecobee saying they are moving EMS portal users to SmartBuildings and discontinuing EMS API in the near future. Should I need to worry about it?

Yes, it means that the EMS APIs will be phased out on March 3rd, 2021.

Do you have any plan to adapt to it?

Not for the moment as very few users have EMS tstats…

This would be too much work for such a fraction of users.

Hello @yvesracine - Will you be hosting this smartapp on your own server or in the cloud when Samsung decommissions IDE? Just want to make sure I’m prepared as I use your code for both keen smart vents and ecobee.

Thanks!

Hi @gpetru1, for the moment, I’m following this thread:

Regards.

@yvesracine, I just received notification that ST classic app will EOL on October 14th. Do you have a new version that fully supports the new ST app?

See my previous post:

I’m not planning to rewrite any code for the new Samsung platform at this point. The existing groovy code works at the moment under the new Samsung connect app (as per the screenshots above, see postings about the last version):

*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)! - #1188 by yvesracine.

I’m hoping that the custom capabilities will allow to further leverage the existing groovy code in the new Samsung connect app as indicated under the thread.

Regards.