*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

Overall, everything seems to be working nicely and I am glad to have contributed.

I have two of the Ecobee 3’s and when I installed it using just one “SmartApp,” one of the thermostats just would not update no matter what I tried. The sensor connected to it seemed to update just fine.

I then basically just created a second app and unchecked the non-updating one with the second new separate one. And now both update fine, but I had to move the sensor from the old to the new one. Also, I get this error now in the log for both thermostats every hour or so:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: physicalgraph.device.CommandService.executeAction() is applicable for argument types: (physicalgraph.device.cache.DeviceDTO, java.lang.Boolean) values: [Hallway, true] Possible solutions: executeAction(physicalgraph.device.IDevice, java.lang.String), executeAction(physicalgraph.device.IDevice, java.util.List), executeAction(physicalgraph.device.IDevice, physicalgraph.device.HubAction), executeAction(physicalgraph.device.IDevice, physicalgraph.device.HubMultiAction), executeAction(physicalgraph.device.IDevice, physicalgraph.device.ParallelAction), executeAction(physicalgraph.device.IDevice, physicalgraph.device.RestAction) @ line 206

Any ideas what may be causing this and why I can’t just include both thermostats into one smartapp?

So I just installed and haven’t really delved too deep into the app, however I have one issue. I’ve installed the device controller and the sensor device controller. The issue I’m experiencing is that two of my three sensors are accurately sensing and reporting motion, but the third has yet to switch away from ‘motion’ to ‘no motion’. I’ve checked the troubleshooting section of the wiki and didn’t see anything that seemed pertinent.

Hi @M3Rocket,

The exception is thrown by the ST backend and should not affect its current processing.

This error was reported to ST long time ago, but they haven’t corrected it yet.

See the troubleshooting section at the ST community wiki (item 12):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Troubleshooting

Now, for the issue with your 2nd thermostat, without any logs, it’s hard for me to tell you what’s wrong in
the ST account setup. I know that the ST backend has been more unstable in the past days, so it could be the
cause.

You’d need to send me some logs to services@maisonsecomatiq.com. Please don’t post any logs in the forum
as they may contain some sensitive information about your setup.

For any issue regarding your setup, it’s easier for me to work through gmail conversations as I can get all the user context and past emails (history) for a specific user.

Regards.

Hi @AsbestosPirate,

If your remote sensors are not reporting correctly to the thermostat unit itself, then it’s likely that
they won’t report correctly through the APIs as well.

See the following troubleshooting section, item 13:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ecobee3RemoteSensorInit#Troubleshooting

Also, please be aware that the motion capability of the ecobee’s remote sensors has some intrisic limitations from
the ecobee APIs (not my code):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ecobee3RemoteSensorInit#Known_issues

Regards.

My Ecobees have been working great for the past 6 months. I’ve been able to use the remote sensors for other smart home activities but nothing that requires real time.

I purchased your code because I thought the polling time could be set to 5 minutes for Motion. Seems like it takes even longer for them to change 30+ minutes now…

Also, I had to make 2 instances of the Smart App because selecting both of my stats rendered one of them non responsive and it’s 4 associated remote sensors.

So now I have 4 apps that are doing the job of the one my connect app installed previously. I am sure there’s a reason for this but don’t know yet.

Last thing, I noticed that your apps created all new devices (2 therms and 8 sensors). This means I have to go back through all of my automations and change the motion sensors and temperature sensors (about 36+). Could I have installed your handlers and apps without the need to create all new devices?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Please refer to my previous posts. There are some intrinsic known API limitations with the motion capability of the Ecobee remote sensors and it’s not due to my code. So, I don’t know what you mean by 'it used to update every 5 minutes"…

As of your other issues, you need to send me some logs to services@maisonsecomatiq.com, as it’s likely due to some ST issues. My code has not changed significantly in the last 6 months.

Did you just do an upgrade or you have done multiple updates in the last 6 months ? Which version were you using before your issues?

It’s hard for me to tell you what’s wrong with your configuration w/o any logs.

I recommend to create multiple instances of MyEcobeeInit only if you have recurring auth token renewal failures within your ST account. Some users may experience some disconnect issues when the ST platform is not stable.

As you said it yourself, I have not seen any disconnect issues since the beginning of the year and I supervise and monitor many ecobee users as part of my support packages.

However, if the ST or ecobee servers are down for a long time, then the disconnect issues may happen as my code is dependent on both platforms to run properly. It’s a cloud to cloud integration, and due to the strict ecobee security policies regarding auth token renewal, it’s the most sensitive integration when the ST platform is unstable.

Regards.

I am new to your App(s) and DTH(s) as of yesterday. I understand now that there are limitations with the remote sensors but only contributed because I thought I would be able to have the sensors update motion every five minutes. Bummer

Didn’t mean to imply that I was able to get motion updates every 5 minutes previously but meant to say that it seems like the sensors are taking longer to update motion now, since I started using your DTH and App than before i.e. 30+ minutes.

The MyEcobeeInit would pick up both Ecobees but the upstairs therm was not updating nor the 4 sensors paired with it. Sorry about not having the logs. Is there any harm with having 2 MyEcobeeInit apps installed? Would prefer not having to change all of my pistons again.

Which brings me to my last question asked above:

Hi,

If you’re using a new DTH, the ST platform will instantiate new objects… There is no way for me to reuse
your old ecobee thermostat and remote sensors as they were created by another smartapp (ecobee connect).

There is no harm in using 2 instances of MyEcobeeInit. Also, I’m currently investigating why you need 2 instances as it used to work with a single instance w/o issues. I may send out a new version soon.

My code is not compatible with the ST stock device or any other DTHs. It has a unique design to make it
more resilient.
Regards.

Got it.

1 last question:

I noticed that there were two additional presence icons with temperatures on my family page. I don’t see a need for these as it now crowds the page. Is there a way to safely remove these or are they needed for something that I am not aware of as of yet?

Thanks again!

Hi,

MyEcobee device has the presence capability as you can set it to away or present like any presence sensor.

Unfortunately, under the ST mobile app, it is considered as a family member because of this capability.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @rontalley,

I just sent out a new version to all my active contributors that will correct any issues related to having multiple thermostats in a single MyEcobeeInit instance. I’ve tested it at multiple user locations with many thermostats and it works very well. A bug was probably introduced in a previous version.

There are now new resilience mechanisms to avoid auth tokens issues when multiple thermostats are managed
by a single MyEcobeeInit instance. This issue was not affecting the users with one single ecobee thermostat at their location.

The new version is available now for download at my store.

http://ecomatiqhomes.com/store/

Regards.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Update!

Was able to install both stats under one instance of MyEcobeeInit.

Assigned the New Upstairs stat to the existing Upstairs RemoteInit instance.

Deleted the old Upstairs MyEcobeeInit.

I am assuming that this was legal and also it appears that I need two instances of RemoteInit for both Upstairs and Downstairs?

Before the update, I noticed that it was taking way longer than before for the motion detectors to update with “No Motion” The “Day Room” typically has little to no traffic but the sensor stayed in “Motion” status for over 3 hours. I checked this with activity from the MyIQ page of Ecobee and below are the results:

Here are the SS from the activity log in ST

Hopefully this is fixed with the new version of your Ecobee Device. I will keep you posted.

@rontalley, yes the log is just saying that you don’t have an EMS thermostat, so in your case, you can discard this exception.

And, you need 2 instances of ecobee3RemoteSensor as the smartapp can only be assigned to one ecobee thermostat.

As I wrote to you before, my code is dependent on the ecobee APIs constraints regarding the motion capability of the remote sensors.

You could see something different in HomeIQ as the remote sensors are using some internal APIs (not exposed to developers).

As specified in the ecobee API documentation:
ecobee API

Which states (about motion occupancy):
The remote sensor data will only show computed occupancy, as does the thermostat. Definition - For a given sensor, computed occupancy means a sensor is occupied if any motion was detected in the past 30 minutes.

Regards,

P.S. I would recommend to not post any logs in the ST forum as it may contain some sensitive information about your setup (ex. serial numbers).

That’s why I always recommend to send emails to services@maisonsecomatiq.com to avoid any security issues.

For your own sake, please remove your logs from the ST forum.

Awesome!

Everything is working like it should now with the new MyEcobee Device! Motions are updating as they did prior to installing .

I would like to take this time to tell you that I greatly appreciate your speedy response to my issues. Although I did not accomplish what I set out to do, I understand that this is not a limitation of your app but a limitation set by Ecobee.

I really like the way the remote sensors look now and I see how the Ecobee implementation into ST using your custom handlers will be beneficial in the near future.

Thanks again for you help and your contributions to the Smart Things Community!

1 Like

Great app!

1 Like

New Feature Request.

I’ve been using the application for a few days now and it is doing a great job for me.

Today, however … I am working from home. Technically, my Ecobee3 schedule is “Away”, but I toggled on the “Home and Hold” Quick change to override the schedule.

SmartThings Logs suggest that the ZoneControls application is working based on the Ecobee3 “Away” schedule and does not appear to be recognizing the “Quick Change” to “Home”.

Thoughts ? Is this something that can be looked at in a future release ?

00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎40‎ ‎AM: debug vent temperature: 71.08
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎40‎ ‎AM: debug vent temperature: 72.37
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug adjust_thermostat_setpoint_in_zone>schedule Away,adjustmentTempFlag=false,exiting
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug adjust_thermostat_setpoint_in_zone>zone=1:L: zoneDetails= [1, L]
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug sending text message
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug setZoneSettings>found schedule=null, scheduled program at ecobee=Away…
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug setZoneSettings>found schedule=null, scheduled program at ecobee=Away…
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: info Away:set all vents to 100% in fan only mode,exiting
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎30‎ ‎AM: info Now running Away, scheduled ecobee program is Away
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug sending text message
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎30‎ ‎AM: debug setZoneSettings>found schedule=Away, scheduled program at ecobee=Away…
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎30‎ ‎AM: debug setZoneSettings>found schedule=Home, scheduled program at ecobee=Away…
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎30‎ ‎AM: debug setZoneSettings>setVentSettingsFlag=true,setAdjustmentTempFlag=false,setAdjustmentOutdoorTempFlag=false,setAdjustmentFanFlag=false
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎30‎ ‎AM: trace Begin of setZoneSettings Fcn
e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎29‎ ‎AM: debug vent temperature: 72.68

Hi @JCH35242,

Which version are you using? The feature is already implemented in ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule since v7.

BTW, your schedule name is not set properly as indicated in your logs:

e00ba5ef-d877-4e8c-8aa6-2afd514da6f1 ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎AM: debug setZoneSettings>found schedule=null,scheduled program at ecobee=Away…

Regards.

I am running a version I downloaded from your store on 12/6. The header in the code does not specify a version, but looking at the app on my iPhone, it appears to be 6.9.4

Hi, I sent you the latest version (v.7.06).

Regards.

Perfect, I will install and let you know. – BTW I also enabled notifications and the text message suggests that the application is running the “Away” Schedule but I will certainly double check after updating to 7.06

https://p20-mailws.icloud.com/wm/messagepart/IMG_6758.PNG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F78493-2&type=image%2Fpng&uniq=jharman&name=IMG_6758.PNG&size=140530&dsid=273568890