*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

Ok, I’m in. Downloading now.

EDIT: Ok, got it all setup configured Monitor & Set temp, Resume Prog, and Away from Home apps. Looking goof so far. 2 questions.

1. If I wanted to re-download the same code whats the best way? I saved the code to my PC as well as the email but things tend to get lost in the mass of data floating around.
  2. Without getting into the arena of support level stuff, what’s the best way to get info/ask questions? I.e. when setting up the monitor and set temp app I wasn’t sure if I should choose the thermostat as a temp sensor or if that is default included? Or is the max adjust choose C vs F based on your global settings or am I supposed to say 3F vs 3C for +/- 3?

Hi,

1. You can save the download link as you’re allowed to download the code few times.

2. If you have any questions, please send them to services@maisonsecomatiq.com as it’s easier to keep the user context in gmail conversations. I don’t mind answering few questions, but if you have many more questions, I’d invite you to contribute to my support packages as I have a family and a full time job and my development/support time is limited.

a) Yes, the thermostat is always included in the avg temp calculation
b) You don’t need to specify the unit (scale) as it will be set at your ST account level. Anyway, the field input cannot be anything else than numbers.

Regards.

1 Like

Rough night. Woke up at 330 to find my bedroom about 10 degrees warmer than requested temp. Turned thermostat off for a few min then back on and it settled down. Then it happened again at 530. The 530 was likely triggered by the smart recovery since warmer schedule kicked in at 6 for my wife. Sadly it took me an hour to fall back at 330 and at 530 I just got up. In the end the morning temp at the thermostat was over by 2 degrees when it settled.

Some background. This is a new house for me since May so just getting into heating season and not used to how it behaves. This thermostat is upstairs which has 4 beds and 2 baths. For some reason there is no heat vent in the hall where the thermostat is so heating is provided from draft from the bedrooms and coming up the stairs from below.

Pretty sure the problem is when all the bedroom doors are closed (one bath in bedroom so blocked off too) that means the only open port to the thermostat is one bathroom and under the doors. So the thermostat has to overheat the rooms before it reaches the right temp and my bedroom is the worst because it has 4 vents. Note this is the second night with the Ecobee lite installed but first with the new DH and apps amd it happened both nights so I don’t think it really has to do with the DH or app. During the day there wasn’t an issue because all doors are open and in fact most of the heat comes from down stairs so upstairs doesn’t run that much.

Getting to the actual questions, from your work with the APIs, do you know if the thermostat learns from the remote sensors? Meaning when it is determining smart recovery and heating rates does it account for the fact that one sensor will heat much faster than the other and if the heat was cut and fan run it would likely hit the right temp? Also, do you know the report speed/frequency of the Ecobee sensors compared to the iris motion sensors? I rigged an iris up last night with the temp mgr app but wondering if it’s too slow for my problem. Rounding out, my real question is would I be served better by the full Ecobee unit vs lite or is rigging up the lite with several iris sensors really about the same thing? I already have a second lite ready to install downstairs but was thinking I could return and get a full unit then swap for upstairs. Downstairs is very open and has lots of heat vents so not really an issue for heating speed and am pretty sure the lite with iris sensors can average the temp just fine using your apps.

Sorry for the long post but kind of hazy this morning so having trouble being succinct.

Hi,

Here are some details about smart recovery:

https://www.ecobee.com/2014/10/feature-friday-smart-recovery/

I don’t think that the ecobee’s remote sensors are any faster than any ST connected sensors (Iris or others). On the contrary, the remote sensors’ faster refresh rate for the temp capability is 3-5 minutes, and the motion capability is sometimes reported only 30 minutes after.

Also, you should set a lower maximum temp adjustment in MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp if you feel that it’s getting too hot at nights. That way, the smartapp will not adjust your setpoints more than a few degrees (the default is 5F).

I’d recommend to look into smart vents (if you have wide temp discrepancies in your rooms) and ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule if you have different requirements at nights vs. during the day. The smartapp can create virtual or physical zones (with the smart vents which are optional) and can do the avg temp calculations based on the zoned rooms only (configurable) to make the setpoints adjustment. Also, you can define a different max temp adjustment at nights vs. the day (using Schedules).
Regards.

When I set the max adjustment temp, do I need to input as you noted? 5F vs just 5?

See my answers above (refer to 2b):

Thanks. Somehow missed that post. Will sign up for support if I need more help.

So I installed this yesterday and it is working great, much more robust than the stock ecobee module. I do have two issues, annoyances really, no problem with functionality. I have uploaded the screenshots of the app:

1. The main t-stats are showing their temperature readings in the dashboard in light grey text, it’s hard to read compared to how the remote sensors are showing it in green. Is this a common issue, and has anyone seen a fix?

2. My main t-stats are now showing up in the family members pane.

Hi,

For the temperature in grey, I will look into it, I don’t know if I can change the color easily.

As far as the the presence capability, if it is part of the thermostat’s capabilities as you can set it to away or present just like any presence sensor. However, under ST, it also appears under the Family tab.

I don’t have any control over this ST “feature”.
Regards

Thanks for the response, I can live with both of these things, and the app is working great so no need to break anything over a color. Tremendous job on the smartapp, it really is a vast improvement on the core functionality of the stock ecobee app.

Hi @cj1896, I was able to change the color to blue (more visible) in a new version. I will test it first and send it out.

Regards.

@yvesracine The amount of effort you have put into this is a ton, thanks again for it all. Few bugs i’m seeing, and maybe I’m just missing something. Going thru my testing of things, i’ve created zones and rooms, and then deleted them and created new ones. Somehow I am now getting ghost rooms/zones as well as NULL rooms/zones. Is there a quick and simple way to look at the values thru the IDE or website and clean up the records or does the next thing to do is delete the app and re-deploy it?

Hi @bobjr12345, if you have rooms/zones with null values, you can either:

1. Click on the room(s) and/or the zone(s) with null values and populate the name field with the right name
  2. change the number of rooms or zones to reflect the true number of rooms or zones. Let’s say you have 5 rooms and the last one is null, then just change the number of rooms to be 4.

The null values can appear if you use the “back” button on your phone/tablet instead of using the links in the app for navigation.

You can see also the values in the IDE if you click on

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/location/list
And then smartapps>your app

There is no way however to update the parameters’ values in the IDE.

Regards.

P.S. If you have any issues with my apps, please send an email to services@maisonsecomatiq.com as it’s easier for me to get the user context out of gmail conversations.

Thanks @yvesracine Even in the ide view I see the “NULL” rooms. I have gone ahead and changed the room counts to 1, then changed them back to 8 and all the values re-populated. I’m thinking ill just blow the whole app away and start over again. Just for you info though, the IDE shows this for example

includedRooms1 enum 2:null, 3:null, 2:Evelyn’s, 3:Roberto’s

Thanks!

Hi @bobjr12345, it’s up to you. I gave you the options in my previous post.

As I wrote earlier, don’t use the “back” button on your mobile phone/tablet, as this will create null values. Use the links in the app to navigate.

Regards.

Thanks @yvesracine must have missed the comment about the spaces. must have done it when I was first setting it up. Thanks again!

I recently purchased yvesracine’s smart app and I’m having a few problems. The smart app UI seems to be unresponsive at times for certain functions and doesn’t respond at all to the up/down arrows to adjust the temperature manually. I’m running this on an Samsung Galaxy S7 device. Anyone else having this issue or have any suggestions? One thing I should mention is that I had the same issue with another developer’s smart app that I tried out for my Ecobee which led me to contribute to use this smart app. Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot or resolve this? Thanks!

Hi @mhadler,

I have some questions for you:

1. Do you have any errors in Live Logging ?

2. Which versions of MyEcobeeInit and MyEcobee device are you using? Sometimes, people who upgrade the code themselves don’t upgrade the service manager and the DTH properly.

Please also take note that ST UI is not always responsive and it does not refresh automatically. If you make an adjustment to the thermostat’s setpoints, you may have to press the “refresh” tile manually to get the latest values.

1. If you have any issues, you’d need to send me more information in the Live Logging to know what’s going on.

To enable more tracing:

a) Edit MyEcobee’s device preferences, set trace to true and logFilter to 4 (DEBUG level)
b) you’d need to go to https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs and filter MyEcobee device’s events by clicking on the device at the top of the screen.
c) send me the logs to services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

BTW, you don’t want to post logs in the forum as they may contain sensitive information about your location and your thermostat serial#.

Regards.

Hello Yves,

I’m a user your My Ecobee Device and I recently installed a Whole House Humidifier I connected to the Ecobee’s Acc+ and Acc-.
Everything works fine so far, In the Ecobee interface, I setup my humidifier to be ON with the HVAC blower ON to keep a certain humidity level, so not only when the HVAC is heating, this is a bit less effective but it works.

Those humidifiers use a lot of water, and I see no point having the humidifier working all day long (while away) to keep the humidity level.
I’m surprised that this is not even an option in the Ecobee. I mean I could set that the Humidifier is ON only when heating is ON (therefore most likely when I’m home) but in this period of time where it’s not cold enough to get the Heating ON enough time to raise and keep the humidity steady, unless I’m missing something, that’d be almost pointless.

So I would like to know if it could be possible to have the Humidifer turned OFF when ST (or Ecobee) is in Away mode?

Hi,

I have coded a smartapp called MonitorAndSetEcobeeHumidity (at my github) to control the indoor humidity based on the equipment connected to ecobee (HRV/ERV/Humidifier/Dehumidifier).

If you want to control your humidifier based on ST hello mode, you can also use a Rule Engine like SmartRules or Core to do this for you.

You just then need to send the “YourEcobee.humidiferOff()” command when the ST hello mode is away.
Regards.

EDIT: There is now a parameter that you can set in the Other Options page in MonitorAndSetEcobeeHumidity:

section("Set Humidity Level only for specific mode(s) [default=all]")  {
		input (name:"selectedMode", type:"enum", title: "Choose Mode", options: enumModes, 
			required: false, multiple:true, description: "Optional")
	}

If you can set the smartapp to run only for specific modes. For all other modes, the connected equipment(s) will be turned off.