*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] Resilient My Ecobee Devices and ecosystem V6- migrated to custom capabilities & automation (presence, comfort settings, and more)!

OK–figured out why. For some reason, in this line of code:

traceEvent(settings.logFilter,"Querying ST for stats dataŢ,settings.trace, get_LOG_TRACE())

You can see the missing quote mark, replaced by a foreign character of some sort. I just replaced that “Ţ” with a quote mark, and it worked.

That is the romanian character ț / Ț, reads “tz”, like in “cats”

Hi, I resent the zip file this time with the UTF-8 encoding…

Regards.

I’m loving your software! Great job!!

1 Like

New to ST here. I paid for the full Ecobee v5 package and followed the instructions. But when I get to the last page in Ecobeeinit and press “Done” I get “an unexpected error occurred” and I can’t continue.

MyEcoBeeInit does have OAuth enabled.

Ideas?

Hi @Automate85,

There was a temporary issue with the encoding at my ecommerce server on July 14-16.

I’ve sent you the proper encoded zip file to your paypal verified address with the instructions.

Regards.

I’m interested in using the device handler so that I can use alternative temperature sensors, other than the ecobee sensors. The ecobee remote sensors have such a short range, compared to zigbee and zwave thermostat modules. I’d specifically like to use the iris motion sensors from Lowe’s.

I’m looking at the store page, and think that “My EcoBee Device for SmartThings with Remote Sensors smartapp” will allow me to use other temperature sensors?

If I use iris sensors, would I stop using the Ecobee app for control - e.g. smart home away - which sensors are active during home/away, etc.?

Hi @e8link,

The remote sensors smartapp is used to expose the ecobee’s proprietary remote sensors to ST.

If you want to use any ST connected sensors (Aeon Multisensor, SmartSense or Iris motion/temp sensors or any others with the standard ST temp/motion capabilities) to adjust your ecobee’s setpoints, then you’d need one of the 2 smartapps below.

1. MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp at my github (basic version)

It’s available at my github.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=MonitorEcobeeTemp

1. ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule is the paid version at my store with many more features: zoning, room’s temp control with smart vents, alternative cooling, fan/temp adjustments based on outdoor thresholds, etc.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule

MonitorAndSetEcobeeTemp can also do the average temp calculation based on motion sensors. However, it’s not meant to be used as a zoning solution as ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule.

A zone is composed of 1 to many rooms that you want to schedule for some specific times of the day.

Example, at night, I want to average out the temp only based on the bedrooms’ sensors (zone=Bedrooms, schedule=Sleep ). During the day, the average would be calculated based only on the ground floor’s rooms (zone=ground floor, schedule=Home).

So, ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule’s features are a bit similar to the ecobee’s “smart away/follow me” but based on any ST connected sensors.

ESZWS can also apply other calculation methods for your remote sensors, not only the average (min, max, median, heat-min/cool-max).

P.S. I also bundle My Ecobee device with ESZWS in My ecobee bundle.

Regards.

EDIT: You should deactivate the smart Away and follow me features at the ecobee portal as there may be some conflicts between the 2.

Love the product way to go works like a champ

1 Like

Please reply to services@maisonsecomatiq.com with your paypal verified address so that I can associate you with your ST handle.

1 Like

I’m still brand new to ST, but I did buy this Ecobee pack and will experiment with it.

1 Like

Great connection with Ecobee3. Have not had any issues or disconnection. Worth every penny!!

1 Like

So I’m using webcore, and I’m able to easily turn off the Ecobee3 at will. However, I’m failing to find the right API call to set the mode back to auto so whatever comfort schedule should be running is resumed. I tried the obvious like “device: set to auto” but nothing happens. Ideas?

Hi @Automate85,

If you want to resume the comfort settings, you’d need to call device: resumeProgram.

if you call device: set to auto, this means that you will set the thermostat’s mode to ‘auto’.

You can see what’s going on in the logs by setting the thermostat’s trace input parameter to true, and the log level to 5 and then, pressing the thermostat’s mode tile to ‘auto’ in the ST mobile app under MyHome/Things.

Refer to the ST community wiki for more details on tracing:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Issue_.239:_I_want_to_get_more_tracing_in_the_IDE

If you have any issues with My Ecobee device, please send your logs to services@maisonsecomatiq.com by filtering only the logs for My Ecobee device (you’d need to click on the DTH in the upper section of the logs).

You don’t want to post sensitive info about your thermostat in the ST community forum.
Regards.

Thanks for the timely response. But I’m confused about the Ecobee3 modes. I don’t get the difference between “auto” and “resumeprogram”. Can you clarify? Want I want to happen is if all windows are closed, then tell the ecobee to revert to whatever comfort setting applies according to my schedule, and change settings as needed …no hold.

To me, “auto” means the thermostat just follows my comfort settings and schedule, per my schedule on the Ecobee scheduler site and will switch heating/cooling modes as needed to maintain my temp bounds. In webcore set to auto doesn’t need any parameters. If I send the set to auto command to the ecobee3 when it’s off, nothing appears to happen…it’s still off. That’s no expected is it? It should ‘wake up’ and switch to the auto mode, as if I was standing at the physical device and change the mode to auto on the screen?

Hi, first if you want to check if some door and window contacts are open, and turn off the thermostat(s) if they are open too long, why don’t you use the WindowOrDoorOpen smartapp at my github:

You can customize the notification & the thermostat off command delays for your own personal usage. The smartapp even supports verbal notifications through some ST connected speakers.

The smartapp is able to track up to 30 contact and up to 6 open sensors at a given time.

The smartapp can also restore the thermostat’s mode after all the contact sensors are closed.

Now, for more info about the auto mode, please refer to your ecobee thermostat’s user guide. Here is a short article on it:

My DTH will just activate the auto mode when you send the “auto” command. If you want to get rid of any active holds, you’d need to send the “resumeProgram” or “resumeThisTstatProgram” command. The latter command will “force” a refresh of your UI tiles under ST.

Finally, when you say that nothing happens, do you mean at the physical thermostat unit or under ST? Please note that you may need to send the “refresh” command manually (using the ST Mobile app) or via webCoRE to visualize any actual changes to the DTH under ST. This doesn’t mean that your thermostat is not in auto mode, but that mode is not visible under the ST mobile app till you press the “refresh” tile under MyHome/Things in the ST mobile app.

The reason is that the ST UI tiles are not refreshed automatically by SmartThings when you send any command via the APIs. This is a general ST UI behavior (not my code).

The troubleshooting section at the ST community wiki has this behavior mentioned also (item #5) :

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Troubleshooting

However if you don’t see any changes at the physical unit (you need to wait a little bit as the mode changes can take up to 1 minute to be processed by the ST and ecobee backends), there may be some issues with your ecobee connection. Is your ecobee’s internet connection up and running? Did you try to do the same command under the ST Mobile app and press “refresh”? What did you see in the list of events (after enabling detailed tracing as indicated at the wiki)?

If you have exceptions, you may need to re-login at ecobee (using MyEcobeeInit) and enable a scheduler watchdog in the last page (see item 6 under the troubleshooting section) as your ST account may have some scheduling issues that impede the “refresh tokens” logic in the DTH. I’ve not seen this issue myself for a while (more than a year actually and I monitor many user locations as part of my support packages), but ST is not the most stable platform…

I hope that these explanations will answer all your questions about My ecobee DTH as my support time is limited.

P. S. For any further assistance, please send emails to services@maisonsecomatiq.com as it’s easier for me to keep track of your user context using Gmail conversations. And, I’d need some logs for any issues.

Regards

Dang - I actually used WebCoRE (and previously CoRE) to write the code to handle this. I would’ve much rather used yours…

Oh well, we know now!

There are many smartapps available at my github for the most common use cases with the ecobee thermostats.

Refer to the 1st post of this thread for the complete list of use cases:

Regards

Hello,

I am trying to understand what is free and what can be purchased.
The opening post on this thread suggest that the everything in the Github repo is free, is this correct?

What features/app differentiate the free from paid version?
Is there a trial version?

Thank you

Hi @mjlewis,

As soon as you contribute to My Ecobee device (DTH), all the smartapps available at my github can be used free of charges for your own use cases.

My ecobee device has been around for more than 3 years now and it’s very stable. There is no trial version given the amount of development & testing efforts that I’ve put into it. Just look at the number of contributors who are happy with the end product!!

P.S. The paid applications at my store (related to ecobee) are my zoned heating/cooling solutions which bring the ecobee integration with SmartThings (contact/temp/motion/presence) sensors & smart vents to a whole new level.

For more info about my zoned Heating/Cooling solutions, refer to

P.S. I’d be releasing soon some new DTHs in cooperation with another device manufacturer for even more zoned heating/cooling features…

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store
Regards.